Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

NA Gauges

Old 01-30-2018, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA Gauges

Before we start flaming, yes I understand gauges for a slow NA car aren't really necessary. This is more of a fun-project for me that I just wanted to do and thought of. I was thinking of hydrodipping my interior to a raw carbon finish and while that's out I figured since the volume control (left of the steering wheel) isn't really working anymore (after market headunit) why not pull that out and fit in a gauge? My car is still N/a with all bolt ons but I figured it wouldn't hurt to monitor temps, etc since our cluster doesn't really offer much. I also take my car for very long drives (5-8hours one way) and it'd be very useful to keep an on eye on temps, etc. Anyone have any info on where I can continue from here? I know defi makes a gauge that offers 3 in 1 but I figured that could get slightly expensive.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

i would do oil pressure before i monitor anything else. especially when driving hard. coolant temp you got something at least. its known when the oil pressure almost gone its when the oil pressure light comes on...but by that time it is too late.

I wish the s2000 came with an oil pressure gauge from factory.

lots of f-series have been killed by low oil level/burning common to this car.

i'm doing a dual gauge setup as we speak with Innovative MTS series of dual function gauges on the A pillar. I'm not a fan of that location but looks the cleanest. I'm saving the volume control for a future wideband/boost gauge.
i may also drill into the dash with angled finishers for more gauges when the time comes.

Last edited by clubhopper; 01-30-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

^+1 on the importance of oil pressure. IMO the Innovate 3913 would be a great fit, shows oil temp & pressure. I have an AEM wideband hooked up on my car but am planning to add a 3913 and an A pillar gauge pod soon.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16381&cat=0&page=2
Old 01-30-2018, 01:35 PM

I agree 100% about the oil. I'm going to look into the innovate gauge that's posted. Any other possible alternatives to keep an eye on my oil pressure? Ap1 03, OEM ECU
Old 01-30-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

My olde Alfa monitored oil pressure and oil temperature both of which I'd like to see. Air/Fuel ratio shows on my iPad if I connect it via FlashPro.

-- Chuck
Old 01-30-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Oil pressure and oil temp are probably the two most important. The oem coolant gauge is a piece of junk (it takes a large temperate swing for it to change) - modifry ECT can fix that with your oem ecu (or aem ems etc)

You can make your radio controls work with the modifry DCI if you weren't already aware
Old 01-31-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

I tried to reply on this thread but somehow may have sent it to your visitor messages board, have a look at it if you come across my message. Not sure how I did that , lol.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

I think an oil pressure gauge is important, it helps you monitor long term trends in OP in addition to sudden drops. I don't think any temp gauge is all that important on a NA setup, our coolant guage works well enough, and you can't get oil temps up overly high in street driving conditions. I had an air fuel ratio meter so I could street tune my Apexi controller, if you don't have a fuel controller such a gauge would not be needed.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're doing any track, I'd get oil temp as well as oil pressure for sure. I was seeing 140C+ consistently at Mosport with a NA setup and no oil cooler. On the street, I'd agree you probably don't need oil temp really. But if you're throwing on a sandwich plate or something anyways, might as well do both.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:07 PM

Couldn't agree more with all the input regarding keeping an eye on the oil. When I first purchased my car I had no idea the amount of oil V-tec would use and my first oil change genuinely scared me in terms of low I was running. I usually keep oil in the trunk now to supply for the hard driving. What gauges would you guys recommend I buy in terms of best bang for buck? I don't mind running a 3 pillar set up and making the audio controls work but I'd be happier running the oil gauge where the audio is just to stay clean (no intentions of going boost anytime soon so why not)

Quick Reply: NA Gauges