Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

New Certification rules...

Old 01-19-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

heres the full doc: http://www.scribd.com/doc/295904215/...ction-standard

some of it looks like it could be interpreted in a way that disallows mods (muffler must be OEM or "OEM standard") , but other stuff looks like a non issue (suspension ride height can't be more than 25mm different on left/right side). looks like no super stretched tires allowed (wheel/rim size must match the tire size)
Old 01-19-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

This will apply when you're trying to get a safety though - I doubt cops/mto are going to follow you around to see if you're lowered, have air bags, ect.

When MTO pulled me over in the summer the only thing he checked was if I had a cat, that's it, he even said "I bet you take this thing to a race track, look at those monstrous tires." <--- referring to my 255 square setup. LOL.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lot's of shite on the road which never gets pulled over. Ya roll the dice. Knew a guy who drove for ten years without a licence or insurance before he got pulled over at a RIDE checkpoint. Got a fine and that was it.
Oh boy!
Old 01-19-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow some of the comments on that story would make me never want to use those "mechanics".
Oil leaks, well, almost every Ford and Chrysler will fail on that part.
Great! get that garbage off the road. If your car is leaking oil, replace the gasket or tighten up the bolts. If its a defect with the car then get the manufacturers to improve their quality control.
Tire depth has always been part of the safety. If any one spot was below the depth, it would fail
Minimum tire depth should be increased, to sell a car with 3/32 is rediculous, nothing less than 5/32 should be allowed.
75% of batteries are not visible in the vehicle anyways. Plus, most aftermarket batteries leaks and corrode
Because the battery isn't visible that means it should never be checked? What a rediculous statement. And a battery should not have excessive corrosion, I used to see cars come in with more corrosion than battery, it was brutal. Its obviously a safety concern cuz if the corrosion disconnects the battery then there goes all your power, duh.

My concern is that this will make it very difficult to sell anything even slightly modified, which upsets me. People don't appreciate that most modifications are to IMPROVE the function of the vehicle, that's kind of the point. Why should we be penalized for trying to improve our cars to make them better than the manufacturer did on their "budget" build. Modified parts should just be treated the same as any OEM part. Obviously penalize those who take things too far like the stupid camber and stretched tires. And just because your bumper is aftermarket doesnt make it okay to be held on with zip ties.

Ride height should not be as strict, ya my car is a lot lower than OEM but its also much stiffer with less travel.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:28 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

this an opportunity for the handy shade tree mechanic to pick up cheap cars that need some TLC- perhaps just a few things need correcting. Most people will trade the car away for a pittance at the dealer, but i'm willing to pay for interesting used cars.

These modern cars I'm willing to take for cheap...
WRX/STi, SiR, typeR, s2000, 911, 944, Boxster, Supra, Celica, manual camry(ug), MR2, SRT, Mustang, Corvette, Typhoon/Syclone, Miata, any Ferrari/Lamborghini/Maserati, etc, etc, etc.

Say $500?

darcy
Old 01-20-2016, 04:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CR EH
Why should we be penalized for trying to improve our cars to make them better than the manufacturer did on their "budget" build.
I would never say that modding should be illegal, and so with safety standards set to be so tight it sounds like it will be discouraging people modding.

I'm one of these guys that believe that most mods ruin your car. Not a popular opinion, I know. These cars come from the factory optimized for the job they were meant to do, while keeping safety and economy in mind. Unless you are building a track monster, of course.

That said, if you want to mod your car you should have that right within reason. Freedom of expression and all that (but stay safe and quiet). Just don't be surprised if you see even more people like me being picky buyers on the used car front. It's already hard to sell a used modded car, now it's going to be very difficult indeed.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:08 AM

^

Since exhaust seems to get a lot of hype about being illegal ill say this...when did OEM systems start coming in stainless steel?

I get that people get disgruntled over how loud some exhausts are, but what does that have to do with safety of the vehicle? Personally I think it helps, hybrid cars are the worst cuz you cant even hear them coming, they just appear out of nowhere.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^

Since exhaust seems to get a lot of hype about being illegal ill say this...when did OEM systems start coming in stainless steel?

I get that people get disgruntled over how loud some exhausts are, but what does that have to do with safety of the vehicle? Personally I think it helps, hybrid cars are the worst cuz you cant even hear them coming, they just appear out of nowhere.
Even Stainless Steel will rot given enough time. I don't see that being an issue. If they had any common sense it would be noise restrictions like under X DB at 5000 rpm
Old 01-20-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Its obviously a safety concern cuz if the corrosion disconnects the battery then there goes all your power, duh.
FYI an engine will continue to run even with the battery removed.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 AM

Even Stainless Steel will rot given enough time. I don't see that being an issue. If they had any common sense it would be noise restrictions like under X DB at 5000 rpm
Would be funny to see minimum amount of noise requirment, hybrids would have some kind of speaker emitting "exhuast" sounds, hahaha.

FYI an engine will continue to run even with the battery removed.
Oh ya, your right, the alternator will keep it going. Better not stall the car

Quick Reply: New Certification rules...