Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

New Sticky Idea ---- CO's?

Old 04-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

Rather than reinventing the wheel, might I suggest having a look at other communities and seeing what they've done? Oklahoma has an all-encompassing events calendar somewhat like kryptonite mentioned and has placeholders like LDubz735 mentioned. Maybe you could have it list chronologically, and then have a subsection for stuff like group drives, another section for track events, etc. A couple other communities I've found good for plagiarizing are Oregon and Pacific Northwest. PacNW even has a good Track Info FAQ thread. I'm not saying you HAVE to be as organized as others. Just throwing in some ideas. Good discussion.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:32 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JulieU
Rather than reinventing the wheel, might I suggest having a look at other communities and seeing what they've done? Oklahoma has an all-encompassing events calendar somewhat like kryptonite mentioned and has placeholders like LDubz735 mentioned. Maybe you could have it list chronologically, and then have a subsection for stuff like group drives, another section for track events, etc. A couple other communities I've found good for plagiarizing are Oregon and Pacific Northwest. PacNW even has a good Track Info FAQ thread. I'm not saying you HAVE to be as organized as others. Just throwing in some ideas. Good discussion.
Good idea.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never understood why company's that run track days are allowed to post their services for sale in the main forums. They operate as a business and skirt around having to become paid members or site sponsors. I know guys and gals want to find out about track days, but there are websites already established to service that need.
Im not a paid member, so I can't list stuff for sale or advertise my business here. I know that and respect it. Why do businesses that profit from the free advertising on this forum get to play by a different set of rules?

I say make them pay to play, or just delete the thread.
Anyone else of this opinion?
Old 04-22-2015, 04:42 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 6013641
I never understood why company's that run track days are allowed to post their services for sale in the main forums. They operate as a business and skirt around having to become paid members or site sponsors. I know guys and gals want to find out about track days, but there are websites already established to service that need.
Im not a paid member, so I can't list stuff for sale or advertise my business here. I know that and respect it. Why do businesses that profit from the free advertising on this forum get to play by a different set of rules?

I say make them pay to play, or just delete the thread.
Anyone else of this opinion?
I think you're 100% right. I think we as a forum are partial to it because they are "providing us a service" As a group dominated by the "track" mentality, I think we tend to turn the other way since we want to see these things on the forum.

I doubt I would have ever thought about tracking / driving schools etc if it weren't for the advertising done by X group on here
Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

There is a fine and somewhat obscured line between what is and isn't allowed as far as track events go. If an event is posted in a regional subforum, we generally leave it up to the CO(s) on whether to dump or allow. As for the main forum, the status quo has been that event related announcements and promos are allowed as long as it's a bona fide event of interest to members. The thinking is that the benefit of members hearing about events and goings on is more important than trying to squeeze money out of the organizers for posting about it. Like I said, there is a line, and where it is crossed comes down to a subjective judgment and the judgment is that those who are in it purely for cash should pay up. So from now on, if you see an event that appears to be solely "for profit," please report it for evaluation.