Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

New Supra leaked photo

Old 12-13-2018, 04:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm pretty sure when our generation is dead (born pre mid-80's) the manual transmission will be a memory. Gas powered cars will probably be a memory as well lol.

I took me a month or so to find a used 991 with a manual transmission and the options I wanted. PDK versions you can find in any colour, any option configuration within 200kms of your house in the next 30 mins. But honestly, the worst part about the car is the transmission. Actually, the $1,000 oil change is the worst, the tranny is 2nd. It's hot garbage and the S2000 tranny puts it to shame. It's spring-loaded so it has a weird feel and I'm pretty sure it is the 7-speed PDK tranny retrofited with a 3rd pedal clutch. The throw from 1st to Neutral is the same length as the throw from 1st to 2nd on the S2000 (and I swapped in a shorter GT4 shifter). It's slower than the PDK, less convenient because it's my daily, and I'm also going to guess less fuel efficient.

But ya, I would never buy an automatic Porsche lol. It's just the way the world is going. When was the last time an F1 car had three pedals? That's where sports car R&D is supposed to happen.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:01 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

With manual transmissions seemingly the normal outside North America it's always a puzzle the imports here all seem to be automatics. Yeah, I realize a minuscule number of people want three pedals. When I rent cars in Europe or the UK they're all stick shifts unless I want to pay a premium rental charge. I do in Britain and Ireland (and Australia) because they drive on the wrong side of the road and the manual gearbox pattern while exactly the same is backwards. Low gear should be toward me and forward but is away and forward when the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

I've not been able to drive paddle shifters efficiently yet. Probably from lack of experience and the cars are automatics anyway so I just but the gear lever in D rather than M.

Pretty sure the new automatics are faster than stick shifts these days if stop light performance is all you're looking for.

-- Chuck
Old 12-13-2018, 06:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For me it's just about what kind of car it is. Sports cars should be manual. Sports touring can be paddle shift. Eco/daily cars can be auto. I guess Supercars can be whatever is fastest.

I have a feeling they will add a manual for this Supra.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:36 AM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

Originally Posted by haga888
I'm pretty sure when our generation is dead (born pre mid-80's) the manual transmission will be a memory. Gas powered cars will probably be a memory as well lol.

I took me a month or so to find a used 991 with a manual transmission and the options I wanted. PDK versions you can find in any colour, any option configuration within 200kms of your house in the next 30 mins. But honestly, the worst part about the car is the transmission. Actually, the $1,000 oil change is the worst, the tranny is 2nd. It's hot garbage and the S2000 tranny puts it to shame. It's spring-loaded so it has a weird feel and I'm pretty sure it is the 7-speed PDK tranny retrofited with a 3rd pedal clutch. The throw from 1st to Neutral is the same length as the throw from 1st to 2nd on the S2000 (and I swapped in a shorter GT4 shifter). It's slower than the PDK, less convenient because it's my daily, and I'm also going to guess less fuel efficient.

But ya, I would never buy an automatic Porsche lol. It's just the way the world is going. When was the last time an F1 car had three pedals? That's where sports car R&D is supposed to happen.
I've very proud to have recently taught my son how to drive stick, he is the only one among all of his friends who knows how to drive manual, it is a dying aspect of auto ownership for sure. I never figured Porsche would have such a terrible manual tranny, that sounds horrible. damn. $1,000 oil change would be gut wrenching to take, wow.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I've very proud to have recently taught my son how to drive stick, he is the only one among all of his friends who knows how to drive manual, it is a dying aspect of auto ownership for sure. I never figured Porsche would have such a terrible manual tranny, that sounds horrible. damn. $1,000 oil change would be gut wrenching to take, wow.
I think it's just the 991 which was probably always meant to be PDK and probably had a change of heart last minute to add a manual version. I've driven a 997 and the 6-speed in that was pretty good.

Well, they give you an Audi for a loaner and detail your car so that's probably $150. Then dropping the engine, turning the transmission upside down, and removing the rear glass to access the oil drain bolt adds up to the rest... German engineering...
Old 12-13-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by haga888
I think it's just the 991 which was probably always meant to be PDK and probably had a change of heart last minute to add a manual version. I've driven a 997 and the 6-speed in that was pretty good.

Well, they give you an Audi for a loaner and detail your car so that's probably $150. Then dropping the engine, turning the transmission upside down, and removing the rear glass to access the oil drain bolt adds up to the rest... German engineering...
Good lord that is one crazy oil change procedure. I can see how the $1,000 adds up when they make it that complicated. Good think you have deep pockets Norm ! lol.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:15 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Meh
Old 12-14-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by myflys2k
Meh
Ya exactly

Looks like an FRS with a 90s VeilSide body kit
Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 AM

now that more info is being released is anyone else underwhelmed by the performance of the Supra, I fully expected it to be much more than what it is. I think they should have an affordable version for the average buyer but they need a more powerful engine variant in a top tier model. Not crazy about the styling but I thought the performance would be worth the wait, I don't think it is to be honest. Just my opinion.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:38 PM

The CivicType R also beats the Supra at the Nürburgring by a fair margin.

Quick Reply: New Supra leaked photo