Notices
Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

New Supra leaked photo

 
Old 12-13-2018, 04:42 AM
  #11  
 
haga888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,254
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I'm pretty sure when our generation is dead (born pre mid-80's) the manual transmission will be a memory. Gas powered cars will probably be a memory as well lol.

I took me a month or so to find a used 991 with a manual transmission and the options I wanted. PDK versions you can find in any colour, any option configuration within 200kms of your house in the next 30 mins. But honestly, the worst part about the car is the transmission. Actually, the $1,000 oil change is the worst, the tranny is 2nd. It's hot garbage and the S2000 tranny puts it to shame. It's spring-loaded so it has a weird feel and I'm pretty sure it is the 7-speed PDK tranny retrofited with a 3rd pedal clutch. The throw from 1st to Neutral is the same length as the throw from 1st to 2nd on the S2000 (and I swapped in a shorter GT4 shifter). It's slower than the PDK, less convenient because it's my daily, and I'm also going to guess less fuel efficient.

But ya, I would never buy an automatic Porsche lol. It's just the way the world is going. When was the last time an F1 car had three pedals? That's where sports car R&D is supposed to happen.
haga888 is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 06:01 AM
  #12  
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chesterfield VA
Posts: 7,035
Liked 243 Times in 232 Posts
Default

With manual transmissions seemingly the normal outside North America it's always a puzzle the imports here all seem to be automatics. Yeah, I realize a minuscule number of people want three pedals. When I rent cars in Europe or the UK they're all stick shifts unless I want to pay a premium rental charge. I do in Britain and Ireland (and Australia) because they drive on the wrong side of the road and the manual gearbox pattern while exactly the same is backwards. Low gear should be toward me and forward but is away and forward when the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

I've not been able to drive paddle shifters efficiently yet. Probably from lack of experience and the cars are automatics anyway so I just but the gear lever in D rather than M.

Pretty sure the new automatics are faster than stick shifts these days if stop light performance is all you're looking for.

-- Chuck
Chuck S is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 06:32 AM
  #13  
Thread Starter
 
Himura357's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kamurocho
Posts: 1,298
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

For me it's just about what kind of car it is. Sports cars should be manual. Sports touring can be paddle shift. Eco/daily cars can be auto. I guess Supercars can be whatever is fastest.

I have a feeling they will add a manual for this Supra.
Himura357 is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 06:36 AM
  #14  
 
zeroptzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,842
Liked 79 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by haga888 View Post
I'm pretty sure when our generation is dead (born pre mid-80's) the manual transmission will be a memory. Gas powered cars will probably be a memory as well lol.

I took me a month or so to find a used 991 with a manual transmission and the options I wanted. PDK versions you can find in any colour, any option configuration within 200kms of your house in the next 30 mins. But honestly, the worst part about the car is the transmission. Actually, the $1,000 oil change is the worst, the tranny is 2nd. It's hot garbage and the S2000 tranny puts it to shame. It's spring-loaded so it has a weird feel and I'm pretty sure it is the 7-speed PDK tranny retrofited with a 3rd pedal clutch. The throw from 1st to Neutral is the same length as the throw from 1st to 2nd on the S2000 (and I swapped in a shorter GT4 shifter). It's slower than the PDK, less convenient because it's my daily, and I'm also going to guess less fuel efficient.

But ya, I would never buy an automatic Porsche lol. It's just the way the world is going. When was the last time an F1 car had three pedals? That's where sports car R&D is supposed to happen.
I've very proud to have recently taught my son how to drive stick, he is the only one among all of his friends who knows how to drive manual, it is a dying aspect of auto ownership for sure. I never figured Porsche would have such a terrible manual tranny, that sounds horrible. damn. $1,000 oil change would be gut wrenching to take, wow.
zeroptzero is online now  
Old 12-13-2018, 10:35 AM
  #15  
 
haga888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,254
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by zeroptzero View Post
I've very proud to have recently taught my son how to drive stick, he is the only one among all of his friends who knows how to drive manual, it is a dying aspect of auto ownership for sure. I never figured Porsche would have such a terrible manual tranny, that sounds horrible. damn. $1,000 oil change would be gut wrenching to take, wow.
I think it's just the 991 which was probably always meant to be PDK and probably had a change of heart last minute to add a manual version. I've driven a 997 and the 6-speed in that was pretty good.

Well, they give you an Audi for a loaner and detail your car so that's probably $150. Then dropping the engine, turning the transmission upside down, and removing the rear glass to access the oil drain bolt adds up to the rest... German engineering...
haga888 is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 11:29 AM
  #16  
 
zeroptzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,842
Liked 79 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by haga888 View Post
I think it's just the 991 which was probably always meant to be PDK and probably had a change of heart last minute to add a manual version. I've driven a 997 and the 6-speed in that was pretty good.

Well, they give you an Audi for a loaner and detail your car so that's probably $150. Then dropping the engine, turning the transmission upside down, and removing the rear glass to access the oil drain bolt adds up to the rest... German engineering...
Good lord that is one crazy oil change procedure. I can see how the $1,000 adds up when they make it that complicated. Good think you have deep pockets Norm ! lol.
zeroptzero is online now  
Old 12-14-2018, 03:15 AM
  #17  
 
myflys2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 6,250
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Meh
myflys2k is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 06:13 AM
  #18  
 
Spoon Fed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Up north eh...
Posts: 1,551
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by myflys2k View Post
Meh
Ya exactly

Looks like an FRS with a 90s VeilSide body kit
Spoon Fed is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 AM
  #19  
 
zeroptzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,842
Liked 79 Times in 78 Posts
Default

now that more info is being released is anyone else underwhelmed by the performance of the Supra, I fully expected it to be much more than what it is. I think they should have an affordable version for the average buyer but they need a more powerful engine variant in a top tier model. Not crazy about the styling but I thought the performance would be worth the wait, I don't think it is to be honest. Just my opinion.
zeroptzero is online now  
Old 01-20-2019, 03:38 PM
  #20  
 
zeroptzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,842
Liked 79 Times in 78 Posts
Default

The CivicType R also beats the Supra at the Nürburgring by a fair margin.
zeroptzero is online now  

Quick Reply: New Supra leaked photo


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands