Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

OEM vs Bayson R lip AP2

Old 01-28-2019, 04:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OEM vs Bayson R lip AP2

Hello everyone,

Just wondering about everyone's opinion on the difference between the OEM front lip and aftermarket on the AP2. Has anyone tried both? In the states they seem to have plenty of used OEM to choose from, but here of course, they're hard to find. I've heard good reviews on the Bayson R lip, but I've also heard many say OEM is worth it. I wonder how much better? I may be able to get an OEM for around $400 but will have to respray it, or a Bayson R for $150 and then paint.

Cheers,
Eric
Old 01-28-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

From a purist point of view nothing sounds better than having an OEM lip on an S2000, whether it is an ap1 or ap2. They always cost more money but most people who buy S2000s would prefer to have an OEM lip over aftermarket. Plus I expect Honda to stop making the ap2 lips in the near future, just like they did with the ap1's, then everyone will want one and they will become extremely rare. IMO, get one now while you can, your car is worth it.

The benefit of the Bayson R lip is that it is almost indestructible because it is made of taffy, you can almost tie it in a knot and it will spring back into shape, lol. From a few feet away they look decent enough, and will never break no matter how bad you drive in parking lots, lol. On my ap1 it had a Bayson R on it when I bought the car, and I changed it out for an OEM lip, you just feel better knowing that you have the good stuff on there. It's only money......
Old 01-28-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

I've had both and I would never choose bayson r or any other replica over OEM.

When you factor in the added cost of paint, hardware and the weatherstripping/double sided tape for the replica(because the fitment is nowhere near perfect) the price is almost as much as the OEM.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:57 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepR
Hello everyone,

Just wondering about everyone's opinion on the difference between the OEM front lip and aftermarket on the AP2. Has anyone tried both? In the states they seem to have plenty of used OEM to choose from, but here of course, they're hard to find. I've heard good reviews on the Bayson R lip, but I've also heard many say OEM is worth it. I wonder how much better? I may be able to get an OEM for around $400 but will have to respray it, or a Bayson R for $150 and then paint.

Cheers,
Eric
What color is your car?If you cant find it used, I bought a BNIB OEM AP2 lip here in the states for 300$US from Majestic Honda - If you ship, it's another 60-70$ I think to probably get it to the border.
Once you consider paint match and generally quality, worth spending the extra $ in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by kryptonite
What color is your car?If you cant find it used, I bought a BNIB OEM AP2 lip here in the states for 300$US from Majestic Honda - If you ship, it's another 60-70$ I think to probably get it to the border.
Once you consider paint match and generally quality, worth spending the extra $ in my opinion.
Mine is Silverstone Metallic. Are you in the states? Are there Silverstone Metallic ones available in the states? They are discontinued here in Canada. I emailed majestic and never heard back. I'd love to get one in oem colour rather than repaint.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:25 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepR
Mine is Silverstone Metallic. Are you in the states? Are there Silverstone Metallic ones available in the states? They are discontinued here in Canada. I emailed majestic and never heard back. I'd love to get one in oem colour rather than repaint.
I'm in Boston these days so pretty close to Majestic

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...1-s2a-181.html
These guys have the part
Old 01-29-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by kryptonite
I'm in Boston these days so pretty close to Majestic

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...1-s2a-181.html
These guys have the part
Hmmm, shipped to the border that's $519.59usd, didn't even add tax. That's $690cad. Although the if I can get a local OEM lip for $400cad, I'll be getting close to that to have it repainted. Man that's a lot of dough for an aesthetic item!

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

All three are the BaysonR version which I bought without any shame at the going rate of OEM. These lips have some flex unlike the ABS OEM lips but I do understand the need for the purist. BTW, all of these were priced under $100 when purchased. Good luck with your choice.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Originally Posted by Hfreak

All three are the BaysonR version which I bought without any shame at the going rate of OEM. These lips have some flex unlike the ABS OEM lips but I do understand the need for the purist. BTW, all of these were priced under $100 when purchased. Good luck with your choice.
They look pretty damn good, nice install with the oem gasket trim.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The replica looks pretty good to me. Unless you have a show car or own a honda museum-class car, most people wouldn't even notice or stoop down that low to examine lol. You'll probably get a ton of rock chips and scrapes anyway
To put into context, half of the S2000s you see most-likely have replica softtops and no one looks down on them

Quick Reply: OEM vs Bayson R lip AP2