Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Photo radar may return

Old 03-13-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by myflys2k
Stop speeding. Easy fix.
That's why I never worry about it. I'm not likely to be affected.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ATNCHN
I don't speak for the Ontario radar system, but in Hong Kong they use a percentage tolerance (5%-10% ish I believe) since tire size and wheels can affect your speedometer
So let's say if the speed limit is 60km/h, and you have about 10% wiggle room means that you can't go beyond 66km/h

I'm not entirely against it even though I drive like a maniac myself, but I would like to know the tolerance level (and possibly the locations of these radar cameras)
Last time they had it in Ontario it did not affect your drivers license demerit points as they could not identify who was driving the vehicle, it was basically just a cash grab. Hopefully that doesn't change.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Apparently it was Conservative Jon Tory who asked for it that started this up.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...-speeders.html
Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Himura357
Apparently it was Conservative Jon Tory who asked for it that started this up.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...-speeders.html
Cash grabs know no political lines, they all do it one way or another. He seems to be pretty cozy with Wynne though. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wynne introducing a Carbon Tax on Fuel.. adding about 5% I believe.

Fuel prices will go up as expected (about 5 cents)

In other words, the 30% that govenment takes on Fuel isn't enough since the price of fuel went from 1.25 average to, .90 cents.

The real problem is what happens when price of oil goes up again (it will eventually). Carbon tax flies under the radar and the government will get 35% taxes on fuel and more ways to waste the $$.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Wynne introducing a Carbon Tax on Fuel.. adding about 5% I believe.

Fuel prices will go up as expected (about 5 cents)

In other words, the 30% that govenment takes on Fuel isn't enough since the price of fuel went from 1.25 average to, .90 cents.

The real problem is what happens when price of oil goes up again (it will eventually). Carbon tax flies under the radar and the government will get 35% taxes on fuel and more ways to waste the $$.
The worst part of all these new and interesting taxes is that the money gets spent on social housing, welfare, mother's allowance, everything under the sun except the intended purpose.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:46 AM

Emailed:

I would like to inform all contacts on this list that I am against Photo Radar. It will not curb speeding nor will it save lives (There is no clear evidence that photo radar is an effective deterrent of speed).

I’d rather our government invest that money into more effective solutions to accomplish the goal of safer roads.

Thank you,
Old 03-14-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Emailed:

I would like to inform all contacts on this list that I am against Photo Radar. It will not curb speeding nor will it save lives (There is no clear evidence that photo radar is an effective deterrent of speed).

I’d rather our government invest that money into more effective solutions to accomplish the goal of safer roads.

Thank you,
Good for you Dom !

They may take your recommendation and invest in self-driving automobile technology next, lol.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by iDomN8U' timestamp='1457981160' post='23908168
Emailed:

Thank you,
Good for you Dom !

They may take your recommendation and invest in self-driving automobile technology next, lol.
LOL... I figured they'd make highways for Liberal MPP's only with no speed limit with out tax dollars. Either that or share the money with their "contract services" buddies
Old 03-14-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Photo Radar is simply a fear tactic, it is not based on anything remotely educational and therefore will not change people's understanding. If people do not understand then it makes it very difficult for them to change their behaviour. It is also a hidden and nondirect tactic that is not obvious and most people won't even know that it is going on, again having minimal impact on the majority.

Now speaking of camera's to monitor and provide evidence for traffic infractions, and if you really want to score big on paying for that monthly budget I have one strong suggestion for you. Build a roundabout in a busy location in any city, you can even use the excuse that you are trying to improve traffic flow (which is true). Install cameras to monitor every angle of the roundabout and sit back and watch.

My city recently built a roundabout and personally I thought it was a wonderful and useful tool...that is until I began using it everyday. Every time I go into that thing I either witness or are involved with poor driving from others that nearly (and has) caused accidents. You could easily bank a couple grand every DAY on people making infractions to traffic flow on that thing, and you wouldn't even have to have cops attending it. They could focus more on important things that protect us like property theft and drug control.

Traffic infractions I see on a weekly basis include: inproper lane change (not staying in the lane you entered in or following it to the intended exit), crossing the line in the lane your driving in (long vehicles don't account for their rear end cutting into other lanes as they take the turn to sharp), failure to yield (just driving right into the rounabout with cars already in it), impeding the flow of traffic (either not entering when clear or coming to complete stop when you don't know how to proceed upon entry), failure to signal, driving into oncoming traffic (meaning going around the roundabout in the wrong direction, I'v actually witnessed this several times despite about 20 arrows pointing the way you should be driving), and if this counts, offroading? (as in driving on the center barrier), and I'm sure I haven't witnessed everything.

If tickets should be given to bad drivers then this should be a jackpot, and yet I see no cameras and no cops that ever travel near this hazard zone. A roundabout is very easy to comprehend and is designed for pure efficiency, and yet it seems to be the most complicated traffic situation for people to handle.

Quick Reply: Photo radar may return