Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Potentially New Owner - Airbag Switch Question

Old 11-07-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potentially New Owner - Airbag Switch Question

Hi all. I'm in the process of selecting a toy and am leaning heavily towards a roadster, with the S2000 being the current front-runner. The plan for the toy is to be a summer only, mostly fair weather car (third car). I certainly don't plan to race with the toy, but one or two lapping days during the season would allow the full experience of the car in the safe confines of the track (I have some limited seat time in a 335 a few years ago, so this won't be entirely new to me.) The choice of a roadster makes lapping difficult of course, but the roll bar choices for the S2000 look pretty reasonable.

The current issue I am turning to the community with is that given my preference for the AP1 (for the 9000rpm) it seems I would need to find a way to disable the passenger airbag to be able to take our daughter for an occasional spin around the block (she won't be at the track of course) while she's less than 12.

With a few days of research I've found that Transport Canada does allow one to apply for the right to install a deactivation switch (child less than 12 without a back seat is an available choice on this form):
https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents...BO-tp13178.pdf

And there appears to be a single company which sells the required switch:
Driver Passenger Airbag On Off Switch | AOI Electrical

I've also found this thread which is the install walkthrough:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...lation-857212/

Yes I do understand that rear seats are safer, and I also know I could pull the airbag fuse. So please understand that I'm attempting to do all the proper research to tackle this the correct way. With that in mind, I'm wondering if anyone in south eastern Ontario has any experience with this? Either finding a tech to perform the work or DIY experience to share knowledge?

Also if you know of a great example of an AP1 for sale send me a link for consideration of course. :-) Not much choice currently in Ottawa and it's getting late in the season to go on long road trips to check out potential cars.

Thanks for any information the community may have.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

If cost is a not an issue I'd have your local dealer do the install, given the importance of the mod I'd want it done correctly even if it means spending a few more bucks.

Check out my build thread in the link below for one of the nicest ap1's in the province, I could be coaxed into selling it for a boatload of money, also 6 hours away , lol

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/automoti...erior-1070897/
Old 11-07-2017, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the tip. I tried calling three different local dealers four times today and nobody at service ever bothered to answer the phone. I'll try them again tomorrow.

Your car looks pretty good, I quite like how you've left it NA and stock suspension.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by btcs2k
Thanks for the tip. I tried calling three different local dealers four times today and nobody at service ever bothered to answer the phone. I'll try them again tomorrow.

Your car looks pretty good, I quite like how you've left it NA and stock suspension.
That sucks , poor customer service drives me nuts, hopefully you get a reply to your inquiry soon from a dealer.
Thanks for the compliment on my car, it is NA with a complete motor freshening. My car does have a set of Bilstein coilovers which I absolutely love, along with a number of chassis reinforcement bars and upgraded front sway bar from the CR model S2000. Pretty mild overall.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I stopped by this dealer while I was in the area to have a peek, pretty clean car and only missing the VIN on the rear bumper cover. Certainly worth a good look for anyone shopping.
The engine bay was dusty but in great shape with no visible oxidation.
There is evidence of a complete stereo with sub being installed previously. Spare tire cover panel missing and tool kit cover panel missing. Aftermarket unpainted lip installed as seen in pics.

Good luck in your search.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true
Old 11-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all. I'm in the process of selecting a toy and am leaning heavily towards a roadster, with the S2000 being the current front-runner. The plan for the toy is to be a summer only, mostly fair weather car (third car). I certainly don't plan to race with the toy, but one or two lapping days during the season would allow the full experience of the car in the safe confines of the track (I have some limited seat time in a 335 a few years ago, so this won't be entirely new to me.) The choice of a roadster makes lapping difficult of course, but the roll bar choices for the S2000 look pretty reasonable.

The current issue I am turning to the community with is that given my preference for the AP1 (for the 9000rpm) it seems I would need to find a way to disable the passenger airbag to be able to take our daughter for an occasional spin around the block (she won't be at the track of course) while she's less than 12.

With a few days of research I've found that Transport Canada does allow one to apply for the right to install a deactivation switch (child less than 12 without a back seat is an available choice on this form):
https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents...BO-tp13178.pdf

And there appears to be a single company which sells the required switch:
Driver Passenger Airbag On Off Switch AOI Electrical

I've also found this thread which is the install walkthrough:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...lation-857212/

Yes I do understand that rear seats are safer, and I also know I could pull the airbag fuse. So please understand that I'm attempting to do all the proper research to tackle this the correct way. With that in mind, I'm wondering if anyone in south eastern Ontario has any experience with this? Either finding a tech to perform the work or DIY experience to share knowledge?

Also if you know of a great example of an AP1 for sale send me a link for consideration of course. :-) Not much choice currently in Ottawa and it's getting late in the season to go on long road trips to check out potential cars.

Thanks for any information the community may have.
I've looked into it, yes there are build threads to do it, but I don't want to touch it because I'm keeping mine all original. However, I do keep considering it. Could just go for an AP2... 06+ and then they have the seat sensor.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:18 PM

I was hoping to keep to the ap1 for the 9k redline. But with the various trade offs in play I may have to do 06+ as you suggest. This evening I drove an 08 and there’s still plenty of excitement at 8k, so I guess one could still claim the S2000 character is still there.

I’ve read the threads and watched the videos about what to look for when shopping. This has taught me the importance of the matching VIN tags. The car I drove is missing the VIN tag for the front bumper and the hood. These missing stickers match the Carfax report of two frontal collisions. The fenders and all other stickers are OK. One of the reports is for just over $7k damages, but that was over 100,000km ago so that provides some confidence that there are no lingering issues? Other than quality of repair concerns, is the biggest value in the matching stickers to have a clean title when the values for these cars begin to appriciate?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:26 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...airbag-134950/. Lots of info in this old thread. I have a Honda airbag cutoff switch in my 00 Ap1. Had it installed in 2003 by Honda of San Francisco. Still there and afaik works fine, though my kids are now teenagers and I leave the airbag on now. Has a little indicator light on passenger side dash too. I believe I’m supposed to have it removed if I ever sell the car, but I’ve owned it since new and have no plans to get rid of it.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was hoping to keep to the ap1 for the 9k redline. But with the various trade offs in play I may have to do 06+ as you suggest. This evening I drove an 08 and there’s still plenty of excitement at 8k, so I guess one could still claim the S2000 character is still there.

I’ve read the threads and watched the videos about what to look for when shopping. This has taught me the importance of the matching VIN tags. The car I drove is missing the VIN tag for the front bumper and the hood. These missing stickers match the Carfax report of two frontal collisions. The fenders and all other stickers are OK. One of the reports is for just over $7k damages, but that was over 100,000km ago so that provides some confidence that there are no lingering issues? Other than quality of repair concerns, is the biggest value in the matching stickers to have a clean title when the values for these cars begin to appriciate?
I have an AP2, '05, Canadian car. There are several different opinions regarding which is the best S2k to purchase, with the exception of the CR, which everyone agrees is the best to buy. Considering AP2 mostly sells for more, it may be a better car to invest in, and yes all VINs and no accidents make the car much more valuable. But this is the same for any car. Being all original, I'm very hesitant to do anything even air-bag mod as it would decrease the value. People want an untouched example of a car. Any modifications, and people would point it out, and use it to negotiate the car is worth less. I chose the 04-05 as I found the best combination of attributes there. AP2 but without electronic gizmos. Obviously I'd prefer a CR but I can't afford them (or find one in Canada).

If you're going to mod, don't worry about getting perfection, if you're looking to keep it stock, pick a stock and perfect example, as it'll hold value better as you accumulate kilometers.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:50 AM

So I've spent a little bit of time looking at a local 2008 which is becoming a little attractive because it has the weight sensor for the airbag as well as VSC which is a nice safety net. I've driven this particular car, and I don't think I'll miss the 9000rpm unless I go drive them back-to-back.

So this brings me to the next question. Does anyone know of a shop in Ottawa with any experience with the S2000 where I could have the car for an inspection? I've taken a look through the Ottawa specific section of the forum but things are pretty stale over there.

Quick Reply: Potentially New Owner - Airbag Switch Question