Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

question about lapping days/cscs

Old 09-02-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the touge lapping day August 16
Old 09-02-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2jizzer
Looks like the touge lapping day August 16
Thanks, I had a hunch that was it but since there was no year on the video wasn't too sure.

I'm signed up for Touge's DDT even this Monday - I hope they do a waaaay better job at getting yahoos like this off the track. That looked scary as shit. I'm here to lap, not to race or do any heroics. Dive bombing a turn on lap days is downright scary.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're being passed, let them pass (let off the throttle). Like hawk said, it's not a race.

Why stay on the racing line? It's track edict and also a hard set rule. Someone could be coming up on you at 2x your speed, you're not ALWAYS looking in the rearview, they wan't to be confident on what YOU will do which is stay on the line.

If you get the point and share the track with experienced racers you don't pass on signal. You just do it when it's safe. They know, you know, it just works.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I like to pass without any point by. Its more fun that way
Old 09-02-2015, 06:27 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

any lapping i've done requires it to be done in the designated passing zone- otherwise its a black flag.

I always offer an obvious pointby to the overtaking car- its just courtesy- and get OFF THE THROTTLE to allow them to safely get by. the pointby assures the both of you know the score and no one wrecks.

There's arguments for both- ask the organizer what they expect and follow the rule. However, staying on the racing line when being passed makes the most sense because the overtaking cars EXPECT you to be there, not suddenly changing track position. AGAIN, offer a pointby in the designated zone and get off the throttle (3rd times a charm). Don't pass anywhere else.

If you crash into someone not following the rules on a lapping day, expect to have a little "conversation" in the pits, down by the bike racks. You may even get stabbed.

stay safe, have fun, wear your helmet, let the faster car pass, don't hold them up. and yes, your mustang can be slower than a miata- suck it up.

Those videos look like a bunch of hooligans taking their egos to a place they don't belong. its a lapping day. say it with me.

just my 2 cents.

darcy
Old 09-03-2015, 04:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
any lapping i've done requires it to be done in the designated passing zone- otherwise its a black flag.

I always offer an obvious pointby to the overtaking car- its just courtesy- and get OFF THE THROTTLE to allow them to safely get by. the pointby assures the both of you know the score and no one wrecks.

There's arguments for both- ask the organizer what they expect and follow the rule. However, staying on the racing line when being passed makes the most sense because the overtaking cars EXPECT you to be there, not suddenly changing track position. AGAIN, offer a pointby in the designated zone and get off the throttle (3rd times a charm). Don't pass anywhere else.

If you crash into someone not following the rules on a lapping day, expect to have a little "conversation" in the pits, down by the bike racks. You may even get stabbed.

stay safe, have fun, wear your helmet, let the faster car pass, don't hold them up. and yes, your mustang can be slower than a miata- suck it up.

Those videos look like a bunch of hooligans taking their egos to a place they don't belong. its a lapping day. say it with me.

just my 2 cents.

darcy

Old 09-03-2015, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LDubz735
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1441231068' post='23735100
You hardly gave that guy in the Porsche any time or space to pass you, he essentially had no other choice but to almost eat dirt. Just my 2 cents on the Porsche pass.
The Porshe guy should've waved off the pass and passed on the next straight. Just bc you're given a point-by doesn't mean you have to take it.
Wave off the pass? He was given the signal to pass, why wave it off? He was given the point by, but wasn't given the space by letting off the throttle. Mixed signals by the slower car, the Porsche guy is at no fault in my eyes. Why signal a person to pass if you don't let them pass? Sounds ridiculous to me...
Old 09-03-2015, 07:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FluKy15
Originally Posted by LDubz735' timestamp='1441232823' post='23735137
[quote name='FluKy15' timestamp='1441231068' post='23735100']
You hardly gave that guy in the Porsche any time or space to pass you, he essentially had no other choice but to almost eat dirt. Just my 2 cents on the Porsche pass.
The Porshe guy should've waved off the pass and passed on the next straight. Just bc you're given a point-by doesn't mean you have to take it.
Wave off the pass? He was given the signal to pass, why wave it off? He was given the point by, but wasn't given the space by letting off the throttle. Mixed signals by the slower car, the Porsche guy is at no fault in my eyes. Why signal a person to pass if you don't let them pass? Sounds ridiculous to me...
[/quote]

So you're saying that you should always make a pass just bc the guy in front gave you a point by?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LDubz735
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1441293277' post='23735842
[quote name='LDubz735' timestamp='1441232823' post='23735137']
[quote name='FluKy15' timestamp='1441231068' post='23735100']
[/quote]

So you're saying that you should always make a pass just bc the guy in front gave you a point by?
[/quote]

Probably a little more complicated then that. Many more variables go into this.

1) The guy in front of you hauling ass but signalling you? If it's at the beginning of the straight and you're making good gains to pass, then pass if he's signaling. if you have the straightway speed to do so.
2) How much room do you have to overtake? If you don't have enough room to slow down for the next turn and maintain your lines, then don't pass (like the Porsche did)... Regardless of what the guy infront is doing.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I don't have the road track experience you guys have, I do have experience with racing etiquette (go-karting participant and safety marshall at several Canadian National Rally Championship events) and the caveat that comes with any sort of passing is always "IF SAFE TO DO SO".

Just because someone waves you by, it is still inherently 50% on the faster driver to determine whether the pass can be safely made.

In the end, race or no race, why do something if you aren't liking what you are given?

Quick Reply: question about lapping days/cscs