Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Replacing soft top

Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've performed over 25+ S2000 tops this year so far. I work for Honda and still am, going on 8yrs strong. I'm ASE certified and Honda Certified. So if you guys were to fly me out you will have no regrets, Ease of mind that your baby will be taken care of, and be covered under warranty if any defects occur.

Ho, you're correct with the info that you just posted. I personally will be going with a Stayfast top when my top gives out but as I spoke over the phone with you that'll be a while from now being that I care for my top on a monthly basics.

Everyone, all my work can be followed on Facebook just by Clicking Here @ SoftTopGuy...

Here is a link to another group of guys that are flying me out to NYC to perform top installs. Just Click here NYC Group Top Installs.

If you guys have any questions please feel free to PM me. I'll do my best to reply back as soon as I can.

Thanks,
-B (SoftTopGuy)
Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Holeecow
Originally Posted by myflys2k' timestamp='1332871679' post='21548746
I've switched my 00 top to an 05 top and it's not that bad to do it yourself. I don't know about the robbins top but I would imagine its the same install.
I was going to do it myself.
How many hours did it take you??
Took me about 8 hrs and I modded my 00 frame to work with the 02+ tops. It's a simple strap and elastic riveted to the frame. It's easy enough that anyone that knows how to use a rivet gun and screw driver can do..... And some patience. I did mine over the winter years ago so I was in no rush to get it done.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I will diy if it ever comes to that point. Im cheap and dont trust anyone else to work on my car. Maybe try to find a used good condition top and save a few $$$. The one aftermarket top I saw, you could tell it wasnt OEM...that would kinda bug me.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seymor Butts' timestamp='1332875807' post='21549123
Question: what's the advantage of canvas top over the vinyl top? Don't feel like reading through 5,000 pages to find the answer lol
Someone correct me if I am wrong!

The Vinyl is a rubber so I think it's more prone to creasing and ripping from extended use etc.
The canvas is supposed to have a deeper black colour to it. It's also more prone to ripping from rubbing and wear than the vinyl because it's a fiber based top. From what I see the canvas cost a bit more.

I think both are supposed to be great options.

This guy will do the 00 and 01 upgrade and conversion to glass too if required!

There has to be someone that'd done the canvas upgrade that can chime in?
That sort of answered my question but not really. So both are prone to tearing? But which one would be better and why?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Seymor Butts
Originally Posted by Holeecow' timestamp='1332882774' post='21549506
[quote name='Seymor Butts' timestamp='1332875807' post='21549123']
Question: what's the advantage of canvas top over the vinyl top? Don't feel like reading through 5,000 pages to find the answer lol
Someone correct me if I am wrong!

The Vinyl is a rubber so I think it's more prone to creasing and ripping from extended use etc.
The canvas is supposed to have a deeper black colour to it. It's also more prone to ripping from rubbing and wear than the vinyl because it's a fiber based top. From what I see the canvas cost a bit more.

I think both are supposed to be great options.

This guy will do the 00 and 01 upgrade and conversion to glass too if required!

There has to be someone that'd done the canvas upgrade that can chime in?
That sort of answered my question but not really. So both are prone to tearing? But which one would be better and why?
[/quote]
I think over time the canvas will wear better especially because it's not as affected by cold weather like vinyl would. It might be a moot point, mainly cause we drive our cars in the summer. But if you're like me and like to drop top all the time even when it's a bit colder then Canvas might give you a slight advantage.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Undestood, thank you

Price is really good. Can't commit to anything right now however. Near future however - hopefully later this year.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Seymor Butts
Undestood, thank you

Price is really good. Can't commit to anything right now however. Near future however - hopefully later this year.
Yup!
Let me know guys, there's a couple people that have msged me from Montreal so I don't know if that's a better location. I am willing to make the drive.

Might have to bite the bullet and drive down to NC and do some golfing along the way. Great thing about our cars is that you can get two sets of golf clubs in the car!! (just won't have any room for clothing! lol)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really theres nobody around here that will do it? Its not that hard....
Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Yeah got a shop thats local that can do the install for about 700 or 800. that's just for labour.
customer supplied top is extra.
They do have package deals though
Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah got a shop thats local that can do the install for about 700 or 800. that's just for labour.
customer supplied top is extra.
They do have package deals though
Damn I have to hurry up and get a shop going. Thats some insane markup!

Quick Reply: Replacing soft top