Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Reputable shop for Valve adjustment

Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reputable shop for Valve adjustment

Hey Everyone, im looking for a shop for a valve adjustment in GTA, I was quoted by Honda 7 in vaughan for about $225 for the valve adjustment i bought the gasket kit myself. I usually go to Defcon Racing in Thornhill but im open to new shops aswell. I am located in Brampton.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:27 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by toztigger
Hey Everyone, im looking for a shop for a valve adjustment in GTA, I was quoted by Honda 7 in vaughan for about $225 for the valve adjustment i bought the gasket kit myself. I usually go to Defcon Racing in Thornhill but im open to new shops aswell. I am located in Brampton.
Check the stickied thread on shops in the GTA, but doing a valve adjustment INCLUDING the gasket kit should definitely cost less than $200.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't remember the price, but took my s2000 last year for valve adjustment at speedstar. They do good work, but i also live in brampton and the drive there to drop it off and drive back to pick it up (they wanted to keep it overnight), was the only negative part of the experience.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

and be sure they'll do a spec valve adjustment- in other words, you tell them what the numbers need to be. Otherwise, i'll hazard they'll just look to see that its in spec and button it all up.

for reference, if you have a 06-'09 DBW then IN .008 to .009 and EX .012 (yes, they'll say that's .001 out of Honda spec but check the Billman DBW thread). for all others, IN .008, EX .010.

darcy
Old 03-20-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by toztigger
It's super easy to do yourself.
Needs to be done when the engine is cold, so you'll likely have to leave it overnight.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

yeah DIY valve adjust is super super easy. i can't even count the number of times i've done this. but i think i got it down to less than an hour. helps that i have the combo driver/lock nut tool for it though.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:55 AM

and be sure they'll do a spec valve adjustment- in other words, you tell them what the numbers need to be. Otherwise, i'll hazard they'll just look to see that its in spec and button it all up.

for reference, if you have a 06-'09 DBW then IN .008 to .009 and EX .012 (yes, they'll say that's .001 out of Honda spec but check the Billman DBW thread). for all others, IN .008, EX .010.

darcy
I have an 05 so I think .008IN and .010EX. Recommend any shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toztigger Hey Everyone, im looking for a shop for a valve adjustment in GTA, I was quoted by Honda 7 in vaughan for about $225 for the valve adjustment i bought the gasket kit myself. I usually go to Defcon Racing in Thornhill but im open to new shops aswell. I am located in Brampton.
It's super easy to do yourself.
Needs to be done when the engine is cold, so you'll likely have to leave it overnight.
yeah DIY valve adjust is super super easy. i can't even count the number of times i've done this. but i think i got it down to less than an hour. helps that i have the combo driver/lock nut tool for it though.
Im pretty good with working on my car but when it comes to anything engine related i rather not get involved.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:49 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I still think a good Honda motorcycle mechanic will be completely familiar with the valve adjustment on our cars. Unlike the Honda car dealers where they don't do this.

-- Chuck
Old 03-20-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I still think a good Honda motorcycle mechanic will be completely familiar with the valve adjustment on our cars. Unlike the Honda car dealers where they don't do this.

-- Chuck
Way to generalize all Honda dealerships, and US ones at that... I have easily done over 1000 valve adjustments, not to mention it's part of the timing belt/water pump/spark plug service on a V6.

Anything from $200-$250 imo is fair. If you came to the dealership we would charge you 2 hours of labour + parts which would be near $300 with taxes.
The following users liked this post:
Hfreak (03-20-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S I still think a good Honda motorcycle mechanic will be completely familiar with the valve adjustment on our cars. Unlike the Honda car dealers where they don't do this.

-- Chuck
Way to generalize all Honda dealerships, and US ones at that... I have easily done over 1000 valve adjustments, not to mention it's part of the timing belt/water pump/spark plug service on a V6.

Anything from $200-$250 imo is fair. If you came to the dealership we would charge you 2 hours of labour + parts which would be near $300 with taxes
I was just quoted at two big and popular shops in Markham for half that price...

Quick Reply: Reputable shop for Valve adjustment