Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

RSX-s & S2000?

Old 11-05-2001, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSX-s & S2000?

Im planning to buy a car pretty soon (around spring), and at first I thought it was RSX-s all the way, but after really looking and studying the S2000, all I can say is damn!

Problem is, I live in Toronto, so the factor of snow comes to play (read all the threads about snow tires, and Im feeling a hardtop is a need). Also, I've also sat in the S2000 (havent given it a test drive... yet), and I noticed how small it is. Anyone here drive an S2000 and feel 'unsafe' when driving in heavy traffic? (I mean it's just so small compared to every other car).

At first, when I saw the RSX, I thought it was an average looking car (I have to admit it really does look like a modified civic), but hell, it's growing on me, and the more and more I look at the rsx, the more I like it... but it's still no S2000!

BTW, this will be my daily driving car all year long.
So what's everyone's thoughts?
Old 11-05-2001, 03:33 PM

S2K is kinda small....I am sitting in at 5'10" it is kinda short. However, the fun and excitment ya gonna get....no 6-speed RSX can over take.... Even tho its 6-speed the long throw and the semi sport tranny is a lack from the real performance natured S2K....

DaRKCrow
"Think again, S2K is better than a blowded CRX"
Old 11-05-2001, 03:51 PM

To be honest, I wouldn't drive my S2K in the winter. I'm not scared about my car, I'm scared about a big sport ute sliding into me!

Although I heard with snow tires the car's pretty good. If you just drive in downtown Toronto like I do, the roads clear up pretty fast so maybe...

If you need ANY storage or luggage space, get the RSX.

I did see plenty of nicely fixed up RSX's at the SEMA show in Vegas...although still not an S2K.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:20 PM

yea... looking at the pics and possible mods for the RSX from SEMA really changed my views on that car.

But basically, storage isnt much of an issue. Im basically 5'10 also, but I weigh in at around 175.

Problem is, my new job is in Mississauga, so I'll be driving around a lot, and some of the roads in Mississauga (and some in Toronto for that matter) can get pretty bad sometimes.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:27 PM
Former Moderator

401 and Dixie on a cold stormy night??? I sure wouldn't want to be in the S2K.

As for that safe feeling you speak of, I remember sitting beside a tractor trailer in a miata and I got a shiver, like I feared I was going to be crushed...I get no such feeling in my car. I feel perfectly safe, even the many crash pictures I've seen here on the board put me at ease, you gotta be in a pretty good wreck to kill yourself.

As for storage space, The S2K doesn't have a lot, but it may get you by.

If money allowes I would suggest the S2K and a 3k beater for the winter.
I personally couldn't do that, because well, I'm a snob, and just couldn't get over my self conciousness to be seen in one

I'll be around 400 and 401 after 1pm if you wanna hook up, and I can give you a ride. Let me know. 416-347-9518

Mike
Old 11-05-2001, 07:56 PM

Anyone here drive an S2000 and feel 'unsafe' when driving in heavy traffic? (I mean it's just so small compared to every other car).

Mindcore.. you have to rid the threads with mentalities like this ?? I take this as a direct insult to every owner or admirer of these GREAT vehicles..

Hey pal, the magic wagon dealership is in another thread..

simon2000
Old 11-06-2001, 04:43 AM

I drove the RSX-S before i bought the S2000 and was very disappointed. I would rather buy a Type R over the 'new' integra anyday.
Old 11-06-2001, 05:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

simon - give the guy a break - it's just his view/opinion.

you felt insulted, but i didn't - we have different views/opinions.

btw, he's right, IT IS small compared to MOST vehicles on the road.
Old 11-06-2001, 01:58 PM

mindcore... thanks for the offer, but Im going down to Oakville this weekend to try out one of my friends ride (dont want to mess up your car=p)

and simon2000... unfortunately I havent had the privelage to drive 'these GREAT vehicles' like this before, and was just wondering about what people felt when driving it in everyday scenarios.
Insulted? What's your problem? I didnt put down the car, I just stated my opinion.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:26 PM

I am in a similar situation as you...I am looking to buy in the spring. I tested the S a couple of weeks ago -- and this car has set the mark for me. Today, I drove by an Acura dealership and dropped in to check out the RSX-s and took it out for a drive. The 6 speed comes no where close to what the S2K's felt like, neither do the seats or the steering/throttle response.

for the $ (25K -30K) it's good when you compare to similar vehicle but the S is in a different class IMO.

BTW, I have also taken out an Z3 2.5 and the S in my opinion was more what I am looking for, just going to try a 3.0 Z before ordering the S2K .

In the end though, you should try both and see which pleases you the most although I do know what you feel when you posted here. Other people's experiences can help.

If you decide on the S, I know a dealership that can get you a good price on an '01 (silver/red) with about 6K on it. I am holding out for the '02 (want the glass rear window).

Quick Reply: RSX-s & S2000?