Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

RSX-s & S2000?

Old 11-06-2001, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kenny,

don't worry about it - just keep asking away - that's what forums are for - exchange of information.

hell, i've had the car for a year and a half (45,000 KM and counting) and i've been cut off, veered into etc. so many times that i've lost count - it's a small car and is not easily seen by other drivers - i don't feel unsafe, but i wonder if the other guy can see me. that's why i ALWAYS drive with my headlights on.

besides, if you get "nailed" by an 18-wheeler, you'll probably get killed anyways - regardless of what vehicle you are in.

coincidently, i saw an Audi TT (hardtop) affixed to the grill of an 18-wheeler on Sat. morning near james snow parkway eastbound on the 401 (i was going westbound - headed to chicago) - thay had to close the eastbound lanes - there was nothing left of the Audi - since i was out of town for the weekend i don't know if it was reported on the news or if anyone lived through it - my first thought was instantaneous death - the car was crunched into a pancake. i saw 2 trucks stopped in the middle of the road with cruisers and ambulances all over the place - i think it may have been sandwiched between them - it was an UGLY sight.

anyways, if the size makes you uncomfortable, don't buy it - on the other hand, you WILL get used to the car's dimensions.

remember, you'll be spending $60K on a car - make sure you get what you want and what you will "get used to" the quickest. no sense buying an S2000 if it's going to take you a year to get comfortable with it.

good luck
Old 11-07-2001, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is interested, my S is up for sale! 01 with 9,000km on it
Old 11-07-2001, 06:08 AM

The S2000 is one hell of a car. But for me, now, if you're not going to drive it like you stole it, then I don't see the point.

The size totally doesn't bother me. I don't feel restricted (though I've felt that way in the M3). Everything is where I need it, steering wheel, gear shift lever, everything. Very very confortable. The suspension gives you a feeling that you're part of the car. This is important for "safe" driving. An SUV is hardly what I would call a "safe vehicle". But yeah, if you're at a dead stop and you get t-boned, your chances of survival in this car vs others is less (though I'd assume the difference would be quite minimal). However if you know how to drive, this car could get you out of many a tight situation. It can also put you into them if you drive it beyond your and the cars limits.

I'm considering selling mine because I'm going to need a tow vehicle. But I don't want to loose the stook because I can routinely spank Z06's (and pretty much everything else) at AutoX and I'm hardly a seasoned or experienced racer. So the S2K isn't exactly practical, and as an only car, I'd think twice if I were you. It's not my only car, but it's now sorta in the way for me to do what I want to do... problem is, I love driving the thing too much.

Also, for me, I don't have a daily commute, so driving the S2K in the winter (which I may this year) isn't nearly the issue it would be for you who HAS to drive to work and back each day. For me, driving is elective and if the weather stinks, I just don't go out.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:22 PM

taylor:
It's not the 'safe' aspect of a car I care about, being young I still have the feeling that I cant ever get hurt=p
It's just the mentality of being in something so much smaller compared to someone else.

But yeah, I see your point about this car not being the perfect 'only car/daily driver', but whenever I think of getting a new car, this is only the only thing I can think of that will put a smile on my face.
Old 11-08-2001, 05:09 PM

If you get an s2k, you wouldn't want to drive it in nasty mushy snow. But how can you say no to an s2000? You should get both!
Old 11-14-2001, 07:13 PM

I have the Honda Odyssey and a Chev Blazer and bring out the S2K if there is no rain or snow. Although the other two vehicles are much higher and the feeling of safety is greater, the S2K provides much more control and power to get you out of tight spots.

The best article I read describing what it feels like driving the S2K was something like; the only way to drive this car is like a mental patient escaped from the hospital for the weekend. Make it scream!

This car is designed to be driven at high revs for maximum excitement level.

I guess there is a safety trade off for excitement, and very well worth it.

Buy the S2k, drive safe and enjoy!
Old 11-15-2001, 02:02 AM

all of the stories that I've heard of sever crashes in the S2000 actually make it seem like a very safe car.... my del sol is a lot smaller than an S2000, but nonetheless, there is something about it that makes me feel very safe... much safer than in my parents accord, or even our expedition... that thing scares the shit out of me... I'd take the S over the RSX anyday, and just live with the weather conditions, because in those conditions, it's really not going to make much of a difference one way or another
Old 11-15-2001, 04:04 AM

Well as far as I know the delSlo doesn't have any rollbar integration. (I've had two, and did a lot of reading on the car and tore part of the interior out and I did't see anything).

The S2K, has a reinforced windshield and rollhoops, so if you get the chance to duck in a rollover, you should be okay. However I stopped racing my Stook because without a helmet I clear the rollhoops. With a helmet it's worse. Also I watched a convertible rollover (along with 2 others) one weekend and that was enough for me.

Anyhow, I guess the point of the message is, you should feel safer in the S2K, because you have a better chance of leaving it unscathed.

Not to mention it has better handling and braking giving you a better shot at avoiding an accident.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:56 AM

my apologies Kenny X..

-simon2000
Old 11-20-2001, 07:07 AM

My brother just bought an RSX-s. The two cars are very similar and very different at the same time. RSX obviously has way more room in it. The seats are very nice up front. It rides very similar to the S2K, but not as firm in the turns. I'd much rather drive his car 40 miles in a snow dusting than the S2K. I'm terrified to drive that when the snow hits.

Quick Reply: RSX-s & S2000?