Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Is it safe to buy an S2000 if I have to park it outside?

Old 07-08-2017, 11:41 AM
WVT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it safe to buy an S2000 if I have to park it outside?

Like the title says I am wondering if it is safe to own a S2000 that is bring parked outside.
Do people steal them often in Toronto/Vaughan. Is there anything that i can do to make it more safe to own a S2000 that is parked outside ?
Other than a hardtop.

I want a roadster and have been in love with the S2000 since it came out. But with my fear of it being stolen or my seats stolen or something slitting the top has really stopped me from getting one. I am leaning more to a Z4 or Z4m since i believe people do not go after these cars as they do with the S2000.

Please let me know your thoughts/ experience / advice.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you bury it behind other cars in your driveway you'll probably be ok. If it's on a surface lot or on the side of the street a flatbed will come and take it away for you more than likely.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i live in thornhill. there is a Rio yellow S parked outside all the time on his driveway. has been for at least 2 years. your probably safe but anything is possible. this is why we have insurance.
as far as the z4 goes. I sold my S a few years back and was going to buy a z4.. test drove it and was like NOPE!! and right away knew i wanted another S. you've been a member here since 2005. you know it will make you happy. be happy.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was recently in a hit & run and decided to purchase a dash cam with gps and hardwire it to my battery (very easy ask me if you need help).. I think you should too if you are going to buy a s2000 so you have an extra eye at all times. would highly recommend one with wifi.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't buy one but I'm paranoid (got my rsx s stolen right outside my house) but seriously if u park it outside then don't do too much mods since insurance won't cover them
Old 07-08-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Toronto weather will play hell with the car -- if it's not stolen. As will the salt on the roads unless you barn it every winter (recommended). Roadsters make very poor daily drivers. A lesson it took me three (3) to finally say "Enough!" Remember every thief a key to these cars. Called a box cutter.

--Chuck
Old 07-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I put in a kill switch to help with parking outside in some situations when I might find it necessary. It gives some peace of mind for relatively low cost. It was an easy DIY project, I wouldn't be in your situation without one.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you buy one, get an appraisal and a rider on your insurance policy for the amount of the appraisal. Gives you "some" peace of mind in case it gets stolen. At least you will not just get reimbursed for book value by the insurance company!!

​​​​​​​Jim
Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally wouldn't park my car outside and I live pretty close to Darren in Thornhill.
It's parked in the garage 99% of the time unless I'm at a restaurant and it's in eye view.

When I first got the car a few years back, had some sketchy people look at my car a few times (Markham, Richmond Hill, Brampton).
After that, told myself that I would never leave it outside without me being able to hear / see it again.

Call me super paranoid but it's not hard for someone to slash the soft top and steal something or even tow it away.
If you live in a nice area, I probably wouldn't worry too much - I always say better safe than sorry.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tr1xst3r
Personally wouldn't park my car outside and I live pretty close to Darren in Thornhill.
It's parked in the garage 99% of the time unless I'm at a restaurant and it's in eye view.

When I first got the car a few years back, had some sketchy people look at my car a few times (Markham, Richmond Hill, Brampton).
After that, told myself that I would never leave it outside without me being able to hear / see it again.

Call me super paranoid but it's not hard for someone to slash the soft top and steal something or even tow it away.
If you live in a nice area, I probably wouldn't worry too much - I always say better safe than sorry.
I do exactly same as you haha thinking to get kill switch and gps for more peace of mind.
Even though I live in small street. Which doesn't have exit at the end...

Quick Reply: Is it safe to buy an S2000 if I have to park it outside?