Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Seized my engine

Old 08-04-2017, 04:50 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn Jeff. That sucks.

I agree with mike. definitely need a baffled pan if you’re pulling some good Gs. My guess is you’ll have some cylinder wall scoring as wel but I have seen the odd engine just need bearings. Do you have an oil cooler? What were your oil temps? What oil were you running?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:44 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by myflys2k
Damn Jeff. That sucks.

I agree with mike. definitely need a baffled pan if you’re pulling some good Gs. My guess is you’ll have some cylinder wall scoring as wel but I have seen the odd engine just need bearings. Do you have an oil cooler? What were your oil temps? What oil were you running?
Hi Nick, yeah it does. My own neglect and naivity is to blame. I wasn't running any oil cooler, temp or pressure gauge. My next motor will have oil pressure at least. Was running day old 10w30 Amsoil ss. Previous oil change showed no bearing material so that might give some insight into the time frame and condition of rest of motor, but since it seized I am expecting the worse case.

Thinking back to last year, going into turn 1 I could feel loss of power for a brief time. I had no idea what it was, but now it makes sense it was oil pressure related. Fast forward to this year I was dealing with some bogging in vtec, makes sense now

do you think a baffled pan could be the difference maker from this happening again?
Old 08-04-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by starchland
Hi Nick, yeah it does. My own neglect and naivity is to blame. I wasn't running any oil cooler, temp or pressure gauge. My next motor will have oil pressure at least. Was running day old 10w30 Amsoil ss. Previous oil change showed no bearing material so that might give some insight into the time frame and condition of rest of motor, but since it seized I am expecting the worse case.

Thinking back to last year, going into turn 1 I could feel loss of power for a brief time. I had no idea what it was, but now it makes sense it was oil pressure related. Fast forward to this year I was dealing with some bogging in vtec, makes sense now

do you think a baffled pan could be the difference maker from this happening again?
If you are tracking the car, a baffled oil pan is a must and an oil cooler is highly recommended. Worth the investment!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkman199
If you are tracking the car, a baffled oil pan is a must and an oil cooler is highly recommended. Worth the investment!
I agree. Add an oil temp sensor for good measure.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Thanks Joey.
I cut open the oil filter and drained the oil. Reminded me of the gold rush in California.
pulled the valve cover.looks fine as far as initial inspection. Little bit of debris in the solenoid screen.

Will drop the pan when I get some time. Do I need to disconnect the transmission for that?

Going to put a bore scope down the cylinders and see how those look.
Jeff, the big chunks will be sitting in the oil pan, for some reason they don't drain with the oil, just the light metal dust. I would drop the pan when you can, it isn't too hard to do, and you don't need to drop the tranny. If you can inspect the bores that would be good, you can also do that from underneath after the pan is dropped, either way or both. I hope the damage is only the rod bearings, but sounds to me like main bearings and possibly thrust washer bearings (given that the motor won't budge). The power loss you felt last year was oil starvation and the motor dropping out of vtec once oil pressure dropped and vtec was disengaged you would have felt a noticeable power loss or jerkiness until the oil pressure was restored.

Good luck going forward pal. I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Joey
Old 08-07-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Damnnnn, sorry to hear J. I'll buy your spare parts I still have with me, put the funds toward the rebuild. Let me know.

We can learn from this thread, subscribed, keep us posted J. Best of luck.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by hawkman199
thanks everyone. Nothing new to report yet.

just thinking out loud here. Oil pressure gauge. Baffle. Oil cooler.

what are all the track junkies setups?

The ballade baffle looks to be the easiest since it can be bolted in.
Where is everyone monitoring oil press and temp from? The stock oil dummy location looks like a good spot
Old 08-09-2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by S2KRAYZE
Damnnnn, sorry to hear J. I'll buy your spare parts I still have with me, put the funds toward the rebuild. Let me know.

We can learn from this thread, subscribed, keep us posted J. Best of luck.
what's up Ty, let's call it an early Christmas gift
Old 08-09-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks everyone. Nothing new to report yet.

just thinking out loud here. Oil pressure gauge. Baffle. Oil cooler.

what are all the track junkies setups?

The ballade baffle looks to be the easiest since it can be bolted in.
Where is everyone monitoring oil press and temp from? The stock oil dummy location looks like a good spot
im just using a sandwich plate at the oil filter with my temp and pressure gauges attached to it. No baffle, probably next year. Setrab oil cooler going in on Friday.

Seized my engine-h46dqwx.jpg

Last edited by haga888; 08-09-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:22 PM

cool thanks
Is there a gauge that will monitor both pressure and temp together?

Quick Reply: Seized my engine