Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Soft top

Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft top

I need a new soft top, long story short my plastic window is cracked, plus the oem vinyl doesn't do it for me. I will be upgrading to a canvas top with rear glass for MY00. I've looked around and tops online seems to offer the cheapest robbins top I've found. Myflys2k suggested another site for another brand, but I rather stick with the Robbins top just for peace of mind. I will be ordering the top in the next few nights, if anyone knows of a site that offers it for less or a local shop who has a supplier please let me know.

Thanks
Rob
Old 04-10-2014, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2jizzer
I need a new soft top, long story short my plastic window is cracked, plus the oem vinyl doesn't do it for me. I will be upgrading to a canvas top with rear glass for MY00. I've looked around and tops online seems to offer the cheapest robbins top I've found. Myflys2k suggested another site for another brand, but I rather stick with the Robbins top just for peace of mind. I will be ordering the top in the next few nights, if anyone knows of a site that offers it for less or a local shop who has a supplier please let me know.

Thanks
Rob
Myflys2k has done several soft-top installs and has seen all kinds of products. If he suggests a brand, I recommend you take his advice.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't had any issues with www.autotopsdirect.com
The tops go on tight initially until they break in and see some summer heat. I went with the stayfast cloth, very nice but I can see it being a little more of an issue to stay clean. Only time will tell. The only difference IMO between the Robbins and these tops is that the Robbins tops don't have a sewn corner on the front of the top where it meets windshield and side window. The autotopsdirect top has this corner sewn as a pocket and fits nice and snug and won't "unravel" if the top has lots of tension when new.

Other than that you can't go wrong with either. I've installed twice as many autotopsdirect tops than the Robbins top.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can vouch for both from Nick. He installed my top from autotopsdirect. Amazing fit and finish for an excellent price.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Thebisnac
I can vouch for both from Nick. He installed my top from autotopsdirect. Amazing fit and finish for an excellent price.
Did they ship it to Canada and UPS or USPS or other?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Thebisnac
Thanks. When I thought about replacing my softtop years ago I always wanted Robbins but after many installs of the autotopsdirect I ended up going with them in the end.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myflys2k
I went with the stayfast cloth, very nice but I can see it being a little more of an issue to stay clean.
I was browsing through AutoTopsDirect and noticed they have both a vinyl and cloth top. Is there any significant difference between the two? Would you recommend one over the other?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:04 AM

If you read my previous post you'll see that I went with the cloth option. It seems to have a more "black" look to it and is probably gonna be more of a pain in the ass to keep clean. I guess the cloth could be less maintainence in the long run though since it doesn't need to be treated on a regular basis like the vinyl option IDK.

Heres what the cloth option looks like.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick, is the autotopdirect top a specific brand (ie. Robbins, e.z. Etc) or is it just their own brand of top?
The price difference between this top and the Robbins is $40. If you say that the autotopdirect is a better quality top I will take your word for it.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:36 AM

The tops look to be from Sierra. You honestly can't go wrong with either top manufacture. I don't know how long the Sierra top will last but I do know the Robbins has been around for a while and has a good history of quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Soft top