Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Storing S

Old 10-13-2015, 05:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for all the input guys
Old 10-13-2015, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get so many different answers for storing. In the end it probably doesn't change much. Wheels off ground?! Oh my god the bearings/ suspension. Wheels on ground?! omg the bearings.

Should top be latched? stretch vs lose...

Small window open? moisture in interior... charcoal can in car?!

Full tank of gas or really low?! Full tank gas goes bad and turns to water or w.e. Tank low condensation in tank makes water in gas?!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoP-Demon
You'll get so many different answers for storing. In the end it probably doesn't change much. Wheels off ground?! Oh my god the bearings/ suspension. Wheels on ground?! omg the bearings.

Full tank of gas or really low?! Full tank gas goes bad and turns to water or w.e. Tank low condensation in tank makes water in gas?!
Wheels on the ground

unlatched

leave window a little open, no need for charcoal

full tank with non ethanol based fuel (shell 91)

change oil before storing is a good practice, if the oil is in good shape it's ok to leave it in IMO.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:17 AM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I only change it if it was coming due anyway, otherwise there's no point. My oil changes aren't cheap ($100+) and track days dictate when I change (currently at 7 track days per change), so I am not looking to waste good oil that has plenty additives to keep corrosion down. Current sampling results have shown that I would be throwing away that "cheap insurance" money if I change oil more frequently.

I haven't changed the oil in my STi for about a year (2,500 miles currently). I also use the same 300v in that car. I do plan to change the oil in the car soon and get it sampled.

Other than that, I wash the car, dry it, drive it to make sure it's all dry, park it in the garage on street tires, and then put a cover on it. It sits like that for 5-6 months a year. I did start putting some ethanol stabilizer in the tank (I run E85), but the previous two years I had not and it's been fine.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Originally Posted by GoP-Demon' timestamp='1444744429' post='23774080

Wheels on the ground

unlatched

leave window a little open, no need for charcoal

full tank with non ethanol based fuel (shell 91)

change oil before storing is a good practice, if the oil is in good shape it's ok to leave it in IMO.

i do all this but change the oil regardless.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:19 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Oil change? RTFM!

Honda owners manual specifies clean oil in the engine to get rid of any residual acids, etc. that the oil has picked up since the last oil change. If you've only a few miles on the oil it should be OK. I do my annual oil and filter change just before I tuck her into bed for the winter. Gearbox every other oil change so that will happen in a few weeks too.

I store under a breathable cover in my garage. Off the floor to keep the car away from salt and dirt brought in by the other cars. Car washed and vacuumed before storage. Empty the trunk and remove any junk. Roof up and unlatched. Windows down. Wipers off the windshield. Trickle charge the battery every couple of weeks. Spin the wheels weekly to keep the brakes free.

Honda recommends a monthly start yet internet experts disagree. I'm sticking with Honda. Monthly start and run to operating temperature (fans cycle twice). Since she's off the ground I run her at idle speed thru the gears to keep the gear box and differential lubricated. Turn VSA off to prevent the computer from going crazy with all the wheel spin. Do not steer the car with the wheels off the ground unless you want to reset the power steering.

-- Chuck
Old 10-13-2015, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting we all have different ways of storing

what i do:

change oil, top up fuel with shell 91 - add fuel stabilizer
vacuum and wipe down interior with some sorta conditioner (303 is what i use now....i do the roof too)
cover the car and put on a trickle charger -- and i don't see it again until the spring

my car is in an underground lot 3 levels below so it's cool and dry.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:33 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Oil change? RTFM!

Honda owners manual specifies clean oil in the engine to get rid of any residual acids, etc. that the oil has picked up since the last oil change. If you've only a few miles on the oil it should be OK. I do my annual oil and filter change just before I tuck her into bed for the winter. Gearbox every other oil change so that will happen in a few weeks too.

I store under a breathable cover in my garage. Off the floor to keep the car away from salt and dirt brought in by the other cars. Car washed and vacuumed before storage. Empty the trunk and remove any junk. Roof up and unlatched. Windows down. Wipers off the windshield. Trickle charge the battery every couple of weeks. Spin the wheels weekly to keep the brakes free.

Honda recommends a monthly start yet internet experts disagree. I'm sticking with Honda. Monthly start and run to operating temperature (fans cycle twice). Since she's off the ground I run her at idle speed thru the gears to keep the gear box and differential lubricated. Turn VSA off to prevent the computer from going crazy with all the wheel spin. Do not steer the car with the wheels off the ground unless you want to reset the power steering.

-- Chuck
all that i would not do. lol. wheels off the ground is a big no no. also take your exhaust off in the spring and dump out all the water.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:37 AM

This reminds me I haven't changed my oil since cylinder head refresh 2 months ago which must have brought some wear out or residual into the oil. Time for an oil change and winter storage.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Honda recommends a monthly start yet internet experts disagree. I'm sticking with Honda.

-- Chuck
Didn't know they had a guide for a passenger vehicle.

I know they have one for motorcycles (linked below), with zero mention of a monthly start to operating temp.
https://motorcycle.honda.ca/Content/...e-guide-EN.pdf

Quick Reply: Storing S