Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

The story of my Laser Eye Surgery

Old 02-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The story of my Laser Eye Surgery

I know that some of you were interested in hearing about my surgery. I mean't to post a lot sooner, but didn't expect to have as much trouble with the computer as I've had.

So anyways, here's the tale...

My appt. was 1pm Thursday, I thought it was 11:30, good thing I double checked. as it was, I actully didn't get zapped till abotu 4pm. Quick these guys are not, but I felt oddly relieved that they weren't rushing through.
I had my surgery done at Lasik MD, the Toronto location at Sheppard and Vic Park.

I was nervous the at first, but in the days leading up to my surgery, I got more and more excited, and wearing glasses stood out ever more, I couldn't wait!!

But wait I did, as I sat in the waiting room for the surgery, and my excitement turned to dread. I was popping ativans' like they were candy. It did nothing.

My name was called, and my heart skipped.. ahhh can I do this with out some big freak out, lasers shooting all over my eyes blinding me for life? I said to the girl going in before me, its 10 minutes.. anyone can deal with 10 minutes of hell right? I took my own advice and sucked it up.

I was greated by my doctor, who was btw Dr. Cohen, Dr. Wallerstien's partner, they both had 20k surgeries under thier belt.

I laid down, and he taped my eyelashes back. The dreaded speculum, which I feared more then anything.. 8 years old is too young to watch A Clockwork Orange, But I didn't see them coming, and next thing you know my eye is pried open, but it doesn't hurt, I started to fidget, but nothing major. Then he swabbed my eyes, and put the suction ring on, You would think having your vision go black would be scary, but thank god thats what happens, cuz next comes the keratome, that nice little razor blade that slices into your eye ball. You can't see it, but you can feel it going along the surface of your eye. Unsetteling, but not that bad.

The they removed the ring, and my eyesight came back right away. I say this little tool flip the flap over and that was about the worst part. After that I stared at a red light, but surrounded by that are millions of little lights, like stars, it looks really really cool.

50 seconds and that eyes was done, flipped the flap over tapped it shut and on to the next one. 10 minutes, and I was done, the second I stood up, I could see, and the procedure seemed like it was yesterday.. it was almost a total blur.

5 minutes later, sitting on the couch with my coolio sunglasses on, the freezing started wearing off. It burned a little, but seconds later a nurse was putting drops in my eye. ahhh relief.. stayed there for 15 minutes, and left.

I was surprised just how easy it was.

Everyday since my eyesight has gotten better and sharper, the day after the surgery My eyesight was 20/25 and I was healing perfectly.

My vision is much better today then it was on Friday.

It's amazing though how dry your eyes get, I've had to use drops twice while typing this.. but there has been almost no discomfort. I was expecting to be in mild pain for a few days.. nothing.. I actually thought they might have screwed up!

My eyes do get very tired, imagine reading a book for 3 hours in low light, thats how my eyes feel after about 10 minutes. Also my vision has been pretty stable today, the previous days, they would go blurry for a minute or two.

My close up vision is also steadily improving. Up untill today it's been very hard to read my laptop, even now, its very uncomfortable and a little blurry.

This should get much better, but I was able to read the smallest of text, in almost darkness before, with my glasses off ofcourse, but that is gone.. I only hope I get a good portion of that back. If not though, I would still be very happy. its like the 90% rule, given the choice of close or far, I'll take far any day.

As I understand my vision can continue to improve over weeks, so I'm not too concerned.

I have almost no halo's now, and still have a little swelling, so they should be gone in the next couple days, Driving at night should be doable ( safely anyways ) in about 3 more days.

I would do this again in a second, as is common, I too said to myself " I should have done this years ago" Its amazing though, 16 years wearing glasses, they were like a part of my body, I constantly reach to adjust them, and put them on or off.. but my face feels so much lighter, like I took a hockey mask off.. its in wonderful!!!!

So to sum up, when it comes to my eyes, I'm the worlds biggest sucky baby, and I pulled it off now sweat. Becuase its your eyes, and there are real risks, I wont reccomend anyone get the surgery, make your own decsion, but I will say it was the best thing thats happend to me since I learned to whack off.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions

and thanks again for your well wishes in the various threads, it was nice to know you guys were wishing me well, when I was thinking I might be a white Stevie Wonder!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:44 PM

I twitched so many times just reading about the razor blade slicing your eyeball. Just thinking about unable to close your eyes or blink, when someone is touching your eye, that I cannot stand.

Glad you are all better, and you looked like a mutant from X'men in your avatar
Old 02-01-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cograts.. never doubted your abilities..
Old 02-01-2004, 04:07 PM

why did they tape you with all these Xs ?
Old 02-01-2004, 05:14 PM

glad to know everything works out.. congrats
Old 02-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Former Moderator

Thanks guys..

The tape is holding these eye gaurds so I don't rub my eyes in my sleep, I figured it would be a good transition avatar from glasses to no glasses
Old 02-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

There's something different about your avatar but I just can't quite work out what it is. Oh I know... you've got your hair combed differently.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:52 PM

looks like mike you swollowed something foul
Old 02-01-2004, 07:39 PM

congrats again mike. keep us posted as you're recovering in the next few months!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:14 PM

It's nice to here first hand from someone who got this done exactly happens during the procedure. I'm glad to here your alright and that your happy with the results. You've made me feel more comfortable about getting it done myself. I can't wait now. congrats.

Quick Reply: The story of my Laser Eye Surgery