Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Suspension deals?

Old 02-04-2002, 06:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bon, i've had many cars with koni yellows and eibach springs (5.0 Mustang, VR6 Corrado, M5 etc.) - that was one of the first things i did when i bought those cars - i would have done the same with the S2000, except that the koni's were not yet developed 2 years ago...

don't underestimate the adjustability of the koni's - perch, rebound etc.

it's a very good set-up and no where close to the price of coilovers.

so, maybe it ISN'T AS GOOD as a set of coilovers - but, for the price, what do you expect?

for me, my interest doesn't lie in spending $3,000 towards my suspension, but, i don't mind spending $1,200...

as for shops, European Speed Sport in woodbridge is a good place to go - have spent lots of money there and have never been ripped off - nice bunch of guys too. speak to cliff.

just my thoughts...
Old 02-04-2002, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get Teins cause:

1) Rust
2) Can strip the threads. This goes for any coilover.

Nuespeed Edition Koni Yellows come with 5 pearch adjustability in hight and I think 16 way in ride.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ouzo,

you're right - most koni yellow applications give you at least 4 perchs (sometimes 5 or 6) and if you think about it, they are really infinitely adjustable for ride/rebound - 3 full turns worth of adjustment.

i stand by my previous comment - don't underestimate them.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:44 AM

I'm not too concerned with the potential of rust formation because the ones that I bought are made of aircraft aluminum A7050. http://www.tein.com/radamp.html

However, I cannot comment on the threads stripping. I know that they won't last forever. It's probably only a matter of time before they get stripped. Hopefully later than sooner.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:05 AM

The only Tein's that would rust is the HR/HA's series... The RA/RS/CS series would be fine...
Old 02-04-2002, 11:25 AM

yub u guys are right about the price / performace issue for the koni's.
Ozuo ur koni/ neuspeed comco has 5 perchs? b/c my bro told me his combo has only 3 perchs ( brough from states)
dunno anything bout teins - never had em

some places i went for my old car, dunno if they are still in business - auto race sport(midland&silver star) , bbr ( esna park&denison), and a workshop up in Mccowan and hw7. my frineds like to buy stuff from optional,seen many tubro upgrades or installation here btw, (greenlane) cuz they know the owner very well.
do we have a group buy going on? i need new tires this summer , perhaps rims if the price is right hehe
anyone interested in the spoon rims? i know they only 16 inch but cheaper tires

bon
Old 02-04-2002, 12:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bon2k
[B]yub u guys are right about the price / performace issue for the koni's.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bon2k
[B]
some places i went for my old car, dunno if they are still in business - auto race sport(midland&silver star) , bbr ( esna park&denison), and a workshop up in Mccowan and hw7.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:47 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking at a race setup close to a Mugen N-1 or Ohlins. I know they are one of the best suspension kits around, unfortunately they cost alot! So, my only choice from what i have seen and heard is a Koni shock revalved with a coilover and eibach springs. I have used this in the past, and they are both reliable and quick. I have heard some good things about Teins as they are priced decently. Maybe a RA?

I've dealt with Bell Chan before and never found him to be a rip-off but i have heard all the stories most of you have. I've talked to Allan at Kennedy Hi-fi before and he seems cool, i'm gonna give him a call. Autorace sport was a nice little shop, i'm surprised they closed down.

Tkg, i know cliff at european quite well, we raced against each other in the past and he sponsored my type R in solo-1 and my previous race car. He's a cool guy. I'll see what kind of prices he has.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:30 PM

Good luck in your selection ITR racer. Hope to see you this summer at one of the s2k meets. Any plans on attending the July meet that Mindcore and Dogman are arranging?

Quick Reply: Suspension deals?