Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Tablet Install

Old 07-20-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tablet Install

Hi there!

So lately I've been getting very annoyed of looking at my cheap single din unit and have decided to pursue the goal of somehow getting a tablet into my car as my primary unit. Mainly for the use of spotify, google maps and of course gauges to monitor my car.

So far I've found that the JDM bezel is a good fit for something like the Nexus 7.

However I don't truly trust myself with the job. Any decent places to take the task to for a reasonable cost?
Or has anyone done this before and would like to tackle it as a side-business kind of job?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the last thing i would do is cut into your dash... but to each their own. My buddy owns Nu tek electronics his company works on all the dealerships in the GTA including lambo and Porsche. will ask him how much it would be for you.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:24 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I strongly Agree (with a capital A) with Darren. The technology changes so rapidly anything permanently in the dashboard will be obsolete in months and when it dies replacement may only be available on Ebay and it will still be obsolete technology. There are plenty of ways to hold a small iPad to the dash area. Don't look as "custom" of course. I can view many of my gauges via my Bluetooth FlashPro and a small iPad. Air fuel ratio, for example. No need for FlashPro as there are small ODB2 thingies that will Bluetooth to your tablet or phone.

-- Chuck
Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess it depends on what your long term plans are for your car.
For me, my car is probably a forever car so I wouldn't really care about the dash... cut that shit... yolo
Old 07-21-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully I can shed some light here, I just want to say this is something that is better in theory than in practice. I have a 2013 N7 installed in my 2006 silverado daily. When I first did it I thought it would be the answer to my problem of crappy interfaces on double dins but really I think it's just too difficult to live with.

My setup is pretty standard:
  • 2013 Nexus 7 w/ Timur's USB rom (previously ran a 2012 also using Timur's rom)
  • Tablet talk for phone
  • Tasker for automation
  • stickmount for USB
  • Beringher DAC
  • Joycon EXR for steering wheels controls
  • Hard wired to switched ignition
  • USB Hub for add ons
  • FM Radio transmitter
  • 4 channel amp for doors
  • 5v Charger
  • Monoblock for Sub
  • EQ to handle signal from DAC
  • USB OTG cable
  • OBD to BT for torque pro/ gauges
Thing is, when it works, it's great but honestly it's rare that it's 100%.
  • The OTG cable really needs to be soldered in order to have a perfect connection, otherwise it jumps around and disconnects/ reconnects which kills your music (if you use a USB host and not internal storage)
  • The fm transmitter is weak and get's maybe a station or 2 (maybe not a problem for some)
  • the Joycon responds to voltage from the stock buttons to program, so if you aren't dead on then you get issues (ie with no voltage regulations my buttons work if the truck is on, but not off since they see different voltages)
  • When the battery dies (if my truck sits for maybe 10 days it will drain the battery even with deep sleep) you need to remove it and charge it. This can be a huge pain if it's fixed mounted
  • The Joycon acts as a keyboard, so if you want to use your steering wheel buttons, you can't use your tablet keyboard (I know some progress has been made on switching this, but it's not native)
  • Tablet talk will show msgs and alert of calls, but no mic on the nexus means no true BT calling.
  • If you do actually want to use live gauges constantly I found it drains the battery on the tablet faster than the charger can keep up
It does have it's upside, I mean when it works, it's better than any double din, but I'm at the point where I will be switching to a proper double din. Or at the very least one of those chinese andriod double dins.
long story short... I'd suggest a proper Double Din
The following users liked this post:
usmanmalik (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a picture before that its possible to fit it behind the radio door. maybe look into that route. personally I think that's a better way to do it vs cutting into the dash
Old 07-22-2017, 04:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd just get a good head unit and use a magnet system to stick the tablet to the dash. It's not going anywhere unless you're doing something really stupid and it would look fairly clean. Or a RAM mount to make it more secure but won't look very clean.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haga888
I'd just get a good head unit and use a magnet system to stick the tablet to the dash. It's not going anywhere unless you're doing something really stupid and it would look fairly clean. Or a RAM mount to make it more secure but won't look very clean.

The only way I'd suggest running a tablet is through a decent headunit, it takes a lot of the guesswork out of it and you probably cut down on the interference as well. +1 on this suggestion
Old 07-22-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

4 of these and all it a day. Completely reversible. I use one in my daily for my phone and they work well. I'm sure you can find something similar on Amazon as well.

https://www.bungajungle.com/collecti...nt=22255644357
Old 07-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the diverse feedback guys! Helped a lot.Going to think over all my options and go from there

Quick Reply: Tablet Install