Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Test Drive Incident

Old 05-04-2016, 04:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just would not have let him drive it. Simple. Sorry to say, but age is a huge factor. Yes, I know that is a bit judgmental but that's the way it is. You have to make judgment calls sometimes.

First thing I would ask is if he had ever driven an S2000 before. Either way, I would tell him no test drive, but if he says yes, then you can just point out how yours is going to feel pretty much the same, or tell him how it may be different. If he says no, I would recommend getting a drive at a local car dealer to get a feel. I would have took him around for a short drive, and asked him to pay attention to noises etc.

Then I would just go through any faults with the car, if any, so he know I am an honest seller, and show him the UVIP. If he really is not a tire kicker he is going to appreciate that, even though you didn't let him drive it. If he comes back with a big deposit and ready to buy, then you can think about a test drive.

I have already sold 2 S2000s. The first guy I hated with a passion because he couldn't really drive manual well, but INSTISTED on a test drive. I asked him what he felt he was going to learn from a test drive if he couldn't drive it... The car only had 34,000km on it for gods sake... In the end I told him fine, drive it, only because he drove 3 hours to see it. He stalled it 5 or 6 times and barely got it going for 10 seconds. After he gave up, I asked "so, how was the drive...?" lol. His wife looked embarrassed as hell. He did end up buying it, maybe out of sheer embarrassment. Lets just say I was pretty upset, and I will never let a person who isn't confident in manual drive my cars again, so not a good experience. Yes, he bought it, but I'm also sure a normal person would also have bought it in a few days/weeks.

A good buyer is a rare thing, but worth the wait.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear and to say but incidents like this is totally avoidable. Any reason you did not warn him of scraping or using an approach angle?

I believe at some car dealerships, you need to sign an agreement for any damages during test drives so you can do similar, also useful to record the deposit amount for legal reasons.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:00 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
That's unfortunate. To be honest if I'm buying a car, I want to see how they drive first. Then, like any car guy I will wait until they ask if I want a turn
+1.

I had a young lady (happened to be a local musician) back in college buying another car of mine- she kept riding the clutch-Granny shifting, not double-clutching like you should. so i out right told her that's not how you drive my car and said stop it.

she bought the car anyway.

As always, no one will respect your car, until its their car.

darcy
Old 05-04-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manystyles
Eh, this might be a rare case, but out of all the cars I've bought, never ever has a seller asked for a deposit to do a test drive. It's a huge turn off for the potential buyer, just like when CL ads state "don't waste my time" or "low ballers will be ignored. I get it, but it's stating the obvious. I present myself as a mature adult in all my interaction with the seller (email, phone calls, and in person), and automatically there is a better vibe and trust. Hell, I've even had one owner let me test drive a car on my own.
Key point here is that you present yourself as a mature adult.

This "kid" rolled up in a banged up civic, I would've driven the s2k myself with him in the passenger.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by l2iceman
Originally Posted by manystyles' timestamp='1462335883' post='23956391
Eh, this might be a rare case, but out of all the cars I've bought, never ever has a seller asked for a deposit to do a test drive. It's a huge turn off for the potential buyer, just like when CL ads state "don't waste my time" or "low ballers will be ignored. I get it, but it's stating the obvious. I present myself as a mature adult in all my interaction with the seller (email, phone calls, and in person), and automatically there is a better vibe and trust. Hell, I've even had one owner let me test drive a car on my own.
Key point here is that you present yourself as a mature adult.

This "kid" rolled up in a banged up civic, I would've driven the s2k myself with him in the passenger.
Yup. Same here.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't want to be judgmental just because he's a kid.
When I got my S2000, I was also a kid.. which I would still consider myself a kid nowadays.

Anyways, even though he rolled in with a banged up civic, it was in fact a manual.
When he didn't take on that incline at an angle, I was also very puzzled
I couldn't react early enough before he scraped the bumper

Fact is, besides that dumb scrape, he shifts pretty well and smooth.
He also did some smooth heel-toeing before taking on corners

But I'll take starchland's advise next time
Maybe I should drive the car myself
Old 05-04-2016, 06:59 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by ATNCHN
I didn't want to be judgmental just because he's a kid.
When I got my S2000, I was also a kid.. which I would still consider myself a kid nowadays.

Anyways, even though he rolled in with a banged up civic, it was in fact a manual.
When he didn't take on that incline at an angle, I was also very puzzled
I couldn't react early enough before he scraped the bumper

Fact is, besides that dumb scrape, he shifts pretty well and smooth.
He also did some smooth heel-toeing before taking on corners

But I'll take starchland's advise next time
Maybe I should drive the car myself
Wait you let him continue the test drive after??
Also "smooth heel-toe before taking on corners" What? What corners were you taking

Is the guy interested in buying the car anyway?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:00 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I think you have little chance of getting paid for the damage. I wouldn't in this case. He had no reason to expect it would scrape and you sat there mute not saying anything. He can easily claim this was a setup. He was merely driving normally, not carelessly or aggressively.

Not sure how Ontario car insurance works but here my insurance would have had this car fixed in the next few days. Then THEY would attempt to recover the damages. If there was any case here.

-- Chuck
Old 05-04-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ATNCHN
And you're Asian and will look like a kid for basically, forever. That feeling only gets better the older you get.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
Wait you let him continue the test drive after??
Also "smooth heel-toe before taking on corners" What? What corners were you taking

Is the guy interested in buying the car anyway?
I just told him to be careful.. LOL I was pretty passive the whole time..

Anyways! From hwy 7, if you go westbound towards bayview, there's a little ramp that you have to take. South of Hwy7 and Bayview there's a Langstaff Road with some curves too. He pretty much heel-toed right before every corner (and pushing it to 6000,7000 rpm). Corner as in.. curves LOL..

The guy.. I'm not even sure..
He seems interested, but everyone can put on an act.

Quick Reply: Test Drive Incident