Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Test drove Alfredo's car I think....

Old 10-25-2004, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test drove Alfredo's car I think....

So I went to check out that Yeller S2000 in the trader for $24,000. It was in an accident.

Now from the pic with the clear headlights I guessed maybe it was Alfredo_mancho's car. Wild guess but heck you never know.

So I went to check it out. From far, Wow they did a great job, paint match is almost PERFECT, I was REALLY surprised, as well all know how hard SPA is to match.

Then I got out of my car and took a closer look.

Left front fender was replaced, as well as front bumper and rear bumper. Oh and the rear suspension.

It's riding on Kumho Exstat MX tires (so I can answer the quality of that tire now!).

The panel gap where the door meets the front fender, wasn't straight and seemed like the fender was out a bit. The panel gap on the hood / bumper area

The right front fender wasn't replaced but the gap between the bumper I remember Alfredo's hood was misalligned after the accident.

So, here I am thinking, this HAS to be his car. It has 42,000km on it. I think that is close to what he had as well.

So I unlatch the top, drop it and start it up. Seems to run good, transmission feels nice, although a little loose from 3rd to 4th. Boom CHeck engine light (hmmm that sucks) whatever.

So I take it for a drive...... POWER!!!

Then I remember, this might be a new freakin' engine in this thing (since it was just replaced if it IS his car). It was REALLY responsive, much more so than my car is. It was very noticeable. The clutch grabbed good and it pulled on it's own steam (I find I have to rev to 2000 at least to move the car).

It seemed to pull really really hard. Now the Tires, OH MAN THE TIRES.

If this is his car, and he had THOSE tires, I now understand how that mishap occured. I nearly curbed it at 20km/h. The thing slid all over the freakin place, I turned SLOWLY and I still had to correct oversteer

Then, I pulled up, and raised the top, the latches didn't align with the top, I had to yank it and put it on, so something is NOT straight.

The steering felt lighter than mine, might be due to tires though.

And then he showed me the pics of the car before they repaired it... and funny enough there was a crinkled left front fender... looked EXACTLY like what I remember from that infamous day.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why are you test driving S2000s?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:32 AM

cuz james is a nice guy
Old 10-25-2004, 11:36 AM

From what i've heard, the Kumho MX's are much grippier than the Ecsta 712's.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by BioBanker,Oct 25 2004, 03:11 PM
why are you test driving S2000s?
Trying to help out Strife350z on his search.

Man this car could be a nice track car for $20,000k or maybe even less.... The engine was just so powerfull (or maybe it's just running really really rich or something).
Old 10-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BeachBum,Oct 25 2004, 03:36 PM
From what i've heard, the Kumho MX's are much grippier than the Ecsta 712's.
It's like comparing an all season to a summer tire.

I had MX's on my RSX and i keep up to you guys and then some at the track
Old 10-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Fob

They were giving you pity Jay...
Old 10-25-2004, 11:56 AM

Maybe it wasn't the tires than, maybe the suspesion was just really f'ed up?

It felt "normal" didn't pull at all, but it slid around. Just hitting the gas hard would kick out the back end and make it slide around.

It wasn't hot today, but I drove my car to go test this one and I didn't have any problems on the S02's.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:19 PM

James, to give you an idea about the MX's. Fritz in his 350Z runs them at the autocross and gets FTD. Those street tires are at least good enough to challenge Klaus in his BMW with RA1's.

As far as power ... ? New engines are still "tight" and aren't as strong. It actually takes a long time for a F20C to get loose. My car kept on getting stronger up to around 15000-20000 km. Maybe you should give my car a spin to see if it is you're car?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:19 PM

any pics? nice review James...

it's does sound like fredo's car for sure

Quick Reply: Test drove Alfredo's car I think....