Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

2018 TMP (Cayuga) Track Days

Old 04-15-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4
I dunno if theres a delay between submitting and seeing my response, so I'll try again. Yea I know Dave! Ill pick his brain next week! I'm gonna look for the Carbotech XP10s and maybe some slotted rotors, or just good blanks. Fluids a toss up between Motul RBF 600 and ATE TYP 200, and some braided lines to match. Won't be hitting the track again till the brakes get sorted out. Nothing like going waaaay too deep in turn 2 to make you pit early! Brakes were steaming like CRAZY.
One thing I tend to do after laps (even with a cool down lap) is that I drive around the perimeter at around 50km/hr (when safe to do so) for a few loops to help the rotors cool off.

RBF600 has yet to let me down so that's all I know for the moment. Turn 2 is actually a VERY fast turn, moreso than Turn 1 from everyone that I've seen. Did you check your fluid levels before and after the track? I hope you're not actually losing fluid.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fluid level is good, but you can feel the brakes make contact but not grab. Yea I've noticed, especially going into the next two tight corners you really need to scrub speed off fast. When I checked the fluid in the pit I did notice a few little bubbles on the top, can't imagine thats too good lol
Old 04-15-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LemonJus
Me? I'm terrible - posted 1:29.3xx on my first time out at TMP last year. Been raining every time I went after in 2016. So when I got the deal to work TMP and get free lapping, I jumped at it and have been sorely disappointed in my performance so far.

When I said I was quicker, I meant using the students vehicles.

This year, I installed a roll bar as I plan on going on OTA (mandated safety) and now I'm kinda messed up. The car just seems to be so unsettled. I wouldn't mind any advice anyone can throw my way. I can't seem to gain my confidence back in the car just yet. Need more seat time.

I'm kinda upset that I introduced such a large change to the car with the roll bar but it was needed to attend OTA - but now I have to relearn it all again. From talking to hawkman, he says that my current configuation (stock + custom alignment + roll bar) isn't going to work that great without getting a FSB and a revised RSB. Thoughts?
setup? Alignment?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
setup? Alignment?
When I got my 1:29.3xx I was stock car on stock alignment on 40% Michelin Pilot Super Sports with Carbotech XP10 pads.

This Friday, I am in stock car with Hard Dog roll bar on 50% RS3s with Club Racer pads on the following alignment:

Front:
-2 camber
5.4 caster
0 toe

Rear:
-2.5 camber
3.9mm total toe in

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4
Fluid level is good, but you can feel the brakes make contact but not grab. Yea I've noticed, especially going into the next two tight corners you really need to scrub speed off fast. When I checked the fluid in the pit I did notice a few little bubbles on the top, can't imagine thats too good lol
Need better fluid AND pads. If brakes feel same resistance means your fluid hasn't boiled over. The lack of grab means pads are overheated.

I suggest getting normal high carbon blanks (they can take more heat) and some track pads. I just drive around on track pads... too damn lazy to swap them out.

Last edited by LemonJus; 04-15-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:11 PM

Lol will do! Reason why I thought boiling fluid was when I parked and tried to pull out again pedal went lower than normal. But hey! One way or the other it's gotta be done!
Old 04-16-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotCanada
Robin - how did the new setup work?
hey John, everything worked really well. Love the brakes! The Canton oil pan seems great, tho' I'm going to add a Mishimoto oil cooler. Also, working on a new intake. Need a wing, front sticks so well the rear is getting loose in the fast corners.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LemonJus
When I got my 1:29.3xx I was stock car on stock alignment on 40% Michelin Pilot Super Sports with Carbotech XP10 pads.

This Friday, I am in stock car with Hard Dog roll bar on 50% RS3s with Club Racer pads on the following alignment:

Front:
-2 camber
5.4 caster
0 toe

Rear:
-2.5 camber
3.9mm total toe in

Need better fluid AND pads. If brakes feel same resistance means your fluid hasn't boiled over. The lack of grab means pads are overheated.

I suggest getting normal high carbon blanks (they can take more heat) and some track pads. I just drive around on track pads... too damn lazy to swap them out.
did you leave your tires outside in the cold by any chance?
Old 04-16-2017, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
did you leave your tires outside in the cold by any chance?
I live in a condo, so my tires are whatever the underground garage is at. It was a little nippy (probably 8 deg C?) but I did drive on them to Cayuga.

One thing that didn't help was that since I was marshalling, my car sat idle for at least an hour and a half before I went lapping. Out of the 8 hour day, I lapped 3 times only.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:20 PM

I spoke with Dave today! Told me theres a good StopTech supplier in TO and he is gonna get me some pricing tomorrow! Thanks for the tip, Kevin! He seems like a nice, knowledgable guy. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 05-14-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Heading to the daytime session at TMP tomorrow, May 15.

New Mishimoto Oil Cooler installed and seems to work well.

Interestingly, has brought my coolant temps down as well. I guess that is to be expected.

Anyone else going?

RB

Quick Reply: 2018 TMP (Cayuga) Track Days