Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Track car labour of love build thread - Clubhopper

Old 02-13-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

These have been back ordered for so long but the price was super cheap from amazon. After I ordered these the price went up lol.

Recaro Pole Position ABE on deck!

Euro/UK rear fog. Going to use this for my 3rd brake light.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Going to use this for my 3rd brake light."

Fyi, from my understanding of our laws, the third brake light is to be mounted in a position higher than the main brake lights. Cops could still give you some guff.
Id ask you to post pics of it installed, but I doubt that will happen....
Old 02-14-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 6013641

"Going to use this for my 3rd brake light."

Fyi, from my understanding of our laws, the third brake light is to be mounted in a position higher than the main brake lights. Cops could still give you some guff.
Id ask you to post pics of it installed, but I doubt that will happen....
im from Ontario and our law is clear is as long as I have 1 red light in the rear im good. We don’t even have a 3rd brake light requirement in my province so how can they even comment on its height lol. Will post pics when installed but you can google it to see what it looks like.

here you go bud:
signalling device
(b) by means of a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall emit a red or amber light and which shall be actuated upon application of the service or foot brake and which may or may not be incorporated with one or more rear lamps. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (8).
Old 02-14-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was mixing up section 62(11) and the nhtsa regulation stating that all vehicles have a center high mounted stop light from the manufacturer. Only some commercial vehicles are required three in Ontario. The nhtsa regulation is the one that requires the light to be in a triangle (above) position in relation to the other lights.
All for more lights on the back of vehicles. Ive always enjoyed the rear fog option on any car I've owned equipped with one. Now I want one for my s2! Group buys for everyone...
Old 02-15-2019, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by 6013641
I was mixing up section 62(11) and the nhtsa regulation stating that all vehicles have a center high mounted stop light from the manufacturer. Only some commercial vehicles are required three in Ontario. The nhtsa regulation is the one that requires the light to be in a triangle (above) position in relation to the other lights.
All for more lights on the back of vehicles. Ive always enjoyed the rear fog option on any car I've owned equipped with one. Now I want one for my s2! Group buys for everyone...
i was trying to organize a group buy on the whatsapp group...no interest. So I lone wolf on this one lol.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If one were getting into the weeds, I think where you'd probably violate some sort of law is removing factory installed and DOT approved safety devices, which I think the OEM 3rd brake light would fall into that category. If you got rear ended, I bet a good lawyer could at least make you partially at fault because you removed a factory installed brake light. Not that anyone would ever think of that with our no-fault insurance laws.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by haga888
If one were getting into the weeds, I think where you'd probably violate some sort of law is removing factory installed and DOT approved safety devices, which I think the OEM 3rd brake light would fall into that category. If you got rear ended, I bet a good lawyer could at least make you partially at fault because you removed a factory installed brake light. Not that anyone would ever think of that with our no-fault insurance laws.
i like the k1 lab spoiler...wish it had provision for the OEM 3rd brake light location.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:07 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by haga888
It is illegal as far as I know to remove it. I just got the ASM duckbill and trying to think of ways to at least have something there in the event a cop fancies pulling me over
Old 02-16-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

I love rear fog lights for their intended purpose, to work in conjunction with 3rd brake lights. I wish we had rear fogs on all cars in NA. I hope to add one to the WRX as it has a bumper plug in place for one and is an easy install, I'll keep the factory 3rd brake light in place though.

I'm not too sure the average cop would pay any attention to your brake light setup, you'd probably be fine in that regard. Personally I would prefer a 3rd brake light higher up in the OEM location as they are important safety devices and they are high mounted for a reason. If you run a rear fob light as a 3rd brake light you can put in an F1 setup that flashes 2-3 times quickly on each activation which draws more attention to you stopping. That is an option on the WRX rear fogs.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:40 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
It is illegal as far as I know to remove it. I just got the ASM duckbill and trying to think of ways to at least have something there in the event a cop fancies pulling me over
could always do something like this:

Quick Reply: Track car labour of love build thread - Clubhopper