Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Tuning?

Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning?

Looking to possibly pick up an emanage ultimate or possibly some type of EMS. I live in Windsor, and unfortunately there is no one with s2k tuning experience, and I'm willing to drive to toronto to have it done.

I don't have plans to go turbo, just bolt-ons, such as intake, header, exhaust.

What are you running for EMS, where did you get it tuned, and roughly how much would I be looking at?

Interested to get this done in the spring, but want to do my research well in advance, sorry if there is already a post about this, but maybe there are more up-to-date ideas or advice for me.

Thanks in advance for looking, also willing to trade stereo equipment (fs thread) for either EMS or tuning.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Interested & subscribed
Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I was reading some posts on the N/A forum, the Haltech EMS is supposed to be very good for ours cars as well..
Old 12-02-2010, 05:35 PM

was just reading that as well. its not cheap though. I guess depends what you want to tune, open loop or closed or both. I have kinda come to the conclusion that a header will be a compromise unless your spending over 1g. the plm header looks like a decent compromise though.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

neetronics (sp?) in Mississauga does emanage ultimate but i dont know how good of a job they do with that specific unit.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Mike at DLmotorsports, he is a licenced dealer for greddy and really knows is stuff, I've watched him do full tunes withing 1-2 hours.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly save your money dude. Your not going to get the gains your looking for out of it. Your going to spend at LEAST $500 on engine management and then another few hundred at least to tune it + dyno time.

To do it right you need a standalone. These cars have advanced ECU's and using a piggyback will work when you tune the car, and then the tune will be out the window as the ecu re-adjusts itself. Its a nightmare...

By the time your done you will be upwards of $1000-$1500 and might be lucky to pick up 5hp?

If you want hp save for boost. Otherwise just enjoy the car with the OEM ecu because it isn't going to get much better...

However if I still didn't convince you, pm me and I can help you out. I work part time at a shop that does it all. Theres a youtube video somewhere in the southern ontario forum of CleanS2000's car getting tuned at my shop and it made around 210whp...
Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 AM

sounds like enough to convince me your right. The other thing that made me kinda shy away from the tuning thing is that there doesnt seem to be a reputable go-to tuner imo. is that part about piggybacks (like vafc2) really true what your saying the car will re compensate?
Old 12-03-2010, 04:23 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

The relearning of the ecu is true to some extent but that's why a proper tuner is needed. You have to set the short term and long term fuel trims before making adjustments. If this is not done then the ecu will somewhat compensate for the adjustments made by the piggyback (not completely)

That being said if there's any thought of going boost in the future I wouldn't recommend anything but a stand alone.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myflys2k,Dec 3 2010, 09:23 AM
The relearning of the ecu is true to some extent but that's why a proper tuner is needed. You have to set the short term and long term fuel trims before making adjustments. If this is not done then the ecu will somewhat compensate for the adjustments made by the piggyback (not completely)

That being said if there's any thought of going boost in the future I wouldn't recommend anything but a stand alone.
Well if it's like a greddy piggyback (which most are) it modifies the map sensor signal going into the ecu to "trick" it into adding more fuel or reducing. Problem with this is that it often piggybacks come with a static (single) fuel table. When you alter the map sensor value the oem ecu changes fuel tables and your static piggyback adjustment no longer works so well. I fought with this for days on my emanage before going standalone but could also be because of the much larger injectors I was using.

Quick Reply: Tuning?