Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Tuning?

Old 12-03-2010, 06:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a side note you may get the gains your looking for by picking up an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. When we were tuning we found the s2000 engine likes alot of fuel. I bet if you added a couple psi of fuel pressure you would pick up similar gains as adding an ecu after doing I/h/e

May be worth looking into
Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by o'malley_808,Dec 3 2010, 10:23 AM
Well if it's like a greddy piggyback (which most are) it modifies the map sensor signal going into the ecu to "trick" it into adding more fuel or reducing. Problem with this is that it often piggybacks come with a static (single) fuel table. When you alter the map sensor value the oem ecu changes fuel tables and your static piggyback adjustment no longer works so well. I fought with this for days on my emanage before going standalone but could also be because of the much larger injectors I was using.
The greddy emanage ultimate doesn't "trick" the map sensor. It adjusts injector pulse just like any standalone unit. when I had my CTSC on my car I had none of the issues regarding part throttle hiccups and I was running 550cc injectors. The car ran great. The problem I had was changes in ambient temperature. One day the car ran afr's around 12:1 and then on warm days the car ran afr's of 10.5:1.... This is where the standalone like the arm ems stands out. It could compensate for this with good tuning

This example is not an issue when running NA. I think the emanage ultimate (not the blue) is ideal for NA as long as it's in the hands of someone that knows how to tune it (ie Gilles who use to do tuning down in NH)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by o'malley_808,Dec 2 2010, 09:31 PM
Honestly save your money dude. Your not going to get the gains your looking for out of it. Your going to spend at LEAST $500 on engine management and then another few hundred at least to tune it + dyno time.

To do it right you need a standalone. These cars have advanced ECU's and using a piggyback will work when you tune the car, and then the tune will be out the window as the ecu re-adjusts itself. Its a nightmare...

By the time your done you will be upwards of $1000-$1500 and might be lucky to pick up 5hp?

If you want hp save for boost. Otherwise just enjoy the car with the OEM ecu because it isn't going to get much better...

However if I still didn't convince you, pm me and I can help you out. I work part time at a shop that does it all. Theres a youtube video somewhere in the southern ontario forum of CleanS2000's car getting tuned at my shop and it made around 210whp...
i made 214 whp you asshole lol.... car just feels better throughout the powerband as well... its not even just about the peak hp

but if you really think about it

invidia tp $80
crappy ebay intake $30
custom 76mm skunk2 catback 600
spoon header (got it as a tade in) 1000
aem ems 700
tune 300

for a little over 2000 i made 214 whp and a bunch midrange as well.... i mean it feels like a totally different car.

BUT... for about 1k more you can be making well over 300 with a turbo kit.

All your preferance though!

car is faster tooo... i was right along side (pulled a bit) my buddies hr 350z who ran 13.4 at cayuga

cant imagine what would happen with a set of 4.77
Old 12-03-2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the help, but here is a little more info for you.

2000 ap1 with MY00 ecu, and 2005 ap2 f22c motor.

I want something to properly keep my fuel in the correct fashion to have a strong running motor.

Secondly, I'm not looking for power gains necessarily, but more of a properly tuned well running machine.

I don't have any want to go FI, so thats not an issue.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by myflys2k,Dec 3 2010, 11:58 AM
The greddy emanage ultimate doesn't "trick" the map sensor. It adjusts injector pulse just like any standalone unit. when I had my CTSC on my car I had none of the issues regarding part throttle hiccups and I was running 550cc injectors. The car ran great. The problem I had was changes in ambient temperature. One day the car ran afr's around 12:1 and then on warm days the car ran afr's of 10.5:1.... This is where the standalone like the arm ems stands out. It could compensate for this with good tuning

This example is not an issue when running NA. I think the emanage ultimate (not the blue) is ideal for NA as long as it's in the hands of someone that knows how to tune it (ie Gilles who use to do tuning down in NH)
If you noticed nowhere in my post did I say emanage "ultimate". The Apexi Vafc, emanage (blue), etc all work by altering the map sensor voltage

Emanage ultimate is a slightly different story but is pretty much the same price as a standalone so I don't see the purpose of your argument...
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 00wreckedS,Dec 3 2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the help, but here is a little more info for you.

2000 ap1 with MY00 ecu, and 2005 ap2 f22c motor.

I want something to properly keep my fuel in the correct fashion to have a strong running motor.

Secondly, I'm not looking for power gains necessarily, but more of a properly tuned well running machine.

I don't have any want to go FI, so thats not an issue.
I ran this exact setup several years ago. Like I said if you want PM me and I can help you out.

But I hate posting in the southern ontario forum because there are too many people in here who think they know it all. I speak from experience and took the hard road to get to where I am now. I blew stuff up, I know what works and what doesn't and I have been mislead in the past and it sucks. You can do things half fast or you can do them properly. In the end if you take shortcuts you will pay for it. Its just the way the game is. So that said I hate when people try to tell me what does or doesn't work when they have never spun a wrench. If I don't know something I wont argue it but I can't say the same for everyone else.

/rant
Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 AM

You said if it's a greddy piggyback...... So I'm just clarifying that the emanage ultimate which is a greddy piggyback, does not "trick" , because the OP mentioned the Emanage ultimate.

And the EMU is about half if not less than a standalone unit.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 AM

now now
play nice.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by o'malley_808,Dec 3 2010, 02:09 PM

But I hate posting in the southern ontario forum because there are too many people in here who think they know it all. ... So that said I hate when people try to tell me what does or doesn't work when they have never spun a wrench. If I don't know something I wont argue it but I can't say the same for everyone else.
Was this directed at me?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

I own a ton of wrenches,

Quick Reply: Tuning?