Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

What battery to get?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What battery to get?

Hi guys.
My battery starts to drop the charge over a 3-4 days( Panasonic.
Honda doesn't sell s2k batteries anymore and substitute with 51R-410CC.
410 cold crank amps is kind of low, Lithium ones expensive and need different type of charger
Any recommendation what to get- Exide, Costco brand or maybe Odyssey 680?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

definitely not exide!

You want something made by Johnson Controls or East Penn. Crappy tire switched to East Penn batteries last year and Costco/Walmart sell JCI (or at least used to). I believe Napa also sells EP

So anything from those places should be decent

S2k battery is a 51, the 51r is the same size but with the +/- terminals Reversed - it might be harder to connect/route the battery cables
Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 AM

I'm looking to get a new battery as well - when you say that Crappy Tire switched to East Penn, is it on the label anywhere? Crappy Tire sells batteries under MotoMaster and Certified, so just want to make sure I get a decent battery for daily use.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:42 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

More information than anyone will ever need on who makes what battery!

Parasitic battery draws will kill a battery, even a new one. Radio memory, keyless entry. and alarms siphon charge as soon as the engine starts turning. OEM is bad enough. Aftermarket usually siphon more. 3 or 4 days indicates a big draw or seriously injured battery. Surprisingly starting the car uses very few amp hours compared to a week sitting with parasitic draws. Starting batteries get major damage if allowed to deplete below 11 volts and can only take a dozen or so abuses like this before they're goners. Any time you have to jump start a car you've used one of its 9 lives. Deep cycle batteries are the solution for this but they don't start engines well. Not sure they make one in Group 51 but Odyssey makes a battery designed for use such as in police cruisers where there's significant battery draw with the engine off.

Try to eliminate as many parasitic draws as possible. A girl friend several years ago kept having dead batteries. Turned out her trunk light switch sometimes didn't turn the light off. My Fords are infamous for parasitic discharge as the 12v outlets are always On and even things as harmless as a GPS or microwave receiver will deplete the battery. I have a battery disconnect switch I use if out of town for more than a week. Lets me start the car at the airport.

-- Chuck
Old 04-28-2016, 06:19 AM

Any good places to get an Odyssey 680 locally in Mississauga/Toronto?
Old 04-28-2016, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
More information than anyone will ever need on who makes what battery!

Parasitic battery draws will kill a battery, even a new one. Radio memory, keyless entry. and alarms siphon charge as soon as the engine starts turning. OEM is bad enough. Aftermarket usually siphon more. 3 or 4 days indicates a big draw or seriously injured battery. Surprisingly starting the car uses very few amp hours compared to a week sitting with parasitic draws. Starting batteries get major damage if allowed to deplete below 11 volts and can only take a dozen or so abuses like this before they're goners. Any time you have to jump start a car you've used one of its 9 lives. Deep cycle batteries are the solution for this but they don't start engines well. Not sure they make one in Group 51 but Odyssey makes a battery designed for use such as in police cruisers where there's significant battery draw with the engine off.

Try to eliminate as many parasitic draws as possible. A girl friend several years ago kept having dead batteries. Turned out her trunk light switch sometimes didn't turn the light off. My Fords are infamous for parasitic discharge as the 12v outlets are always On and even things as harmless as a GPS or microwave receiver will deplete the battery. I have a battery disconnect switch I use if out of town for more than a week. Lets me start the car at the airport.

-- Chuck
My battery is the original from 2006,pretty good for OEM, isn't it? But they don't sell it anymore
My car is a stock so no parasitic draws
Battery disconnect switch will require an idle learn after each disconnection
Old 04-28-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

I got a 17 lb Braille Battery from Tirerack a couple years ago. I bought it for weight savings (the thing weighs less than my pet cat) so I was happy saving 12 lbs over stock.

I've been super impressed with the cranking power since I got this battery, it outperforms the Optima yellow top I had in the car prior to this battery. I'd buy another any time as I've been very happy with it, cost not a consideration. You don't want to ever drain these batteries all the way down though, that can kill them , as it can kill other similar types of batteries. Mine goes weeks without starting, and without a battery tender needed.

I'd love a lithium battery in the future, but for now this battery is great.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My battery died last year. I went to Honda and just got a replacement from them, but I'm not sure which model it is. So far I haven't had any problems, but obviously it's only one year old.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:08 PM

Iv had Optima before, it didn't last more than 2 years.

I bought a Braille battery and after I let it go dead a couple times (by running the radio) it would not hold a charge longer than 2 days without a trickle charger. Clearly they are very sensitive despite their inflated price.

Iv heard only good things about Odyssey although haven't tried one yet.

I just purchased a new DEKA battery this year which is an unbranded Braille battery for a much more reasonable price. Cranking power has been excellent so far despite only being around 300CCA, plus I'm running aftermarket speakers with amp.

Here is their site, plus its Canadian so don't worry about exchange!

www.SaskBattery.com
Old 04-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an Odyssey PC 680 sitting on the shelf, if anyone wants it. Fully charged, A year old, but I haven't used it.

[attachment=94094:Battery.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails What battery to get?-battery.jpg  

Quick Reply: What battery to get?