Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

The "What is my car worth?" thread

Old 06-15-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by invision33
Long time lurker, but new to the forum. I agree with your valuations. As a buyer, it is very difficult to find clean cars (if anyone has any leads to a clean car please message me). I feel the values will increase at a modest rate with time. The only curve ball might be the new model that will be coming out in 2018. I'm interested in people's opinion what will happen to s2000 values when the replacement is released.
it's fair to assume the 'next s2000' if it ever happens will resemble nothing close to ours.
it will be a convertible crz.

like the person above me wrote -- it will either help ours appreciate even more or it won't change a thing.

i know it's very hard to find a clean s2000 today.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say you're pretty accurate with your valuation. I've recently bought 3 AP2's (2006, 2007, 2009) and sold 1 (2006) all within' a 3 month window. I've noticed the good ones will be listed up for less than 48 hours. I would say the most desirable color would be GPW.

Also, I find the extremely good ones to be not listed at all. They are usually sold to referrals. 2/3 of my more recent S2000's were from referrals to people "thinking" of selling.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Very nice write up and it's about time we have a thread like this.

Your pretty spot on with your market prices.

The only thing that I would say would be a little more rare than a GPW with Red is the GPW with Black as it was only offered in 2006 and only 450ish built.

Props for a great job.

Cheers!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Only thing I'd add is high mileage beaten cars are not collector cars and never will be. Don't expect those to appreciate or even hold their value.

If you're at that 80k ish mark and want it to be a collector car, stop driving it.

Cars are generally a poor investment at best. I'd agree this one doesn't seem to be dropping a few grand every year anymore but I'm not sure you can expect it to increase by a couple grand every year either. Even if it does, there are carrying costs you have to consider. It costs me $1,800 a year for a parking spot just to park it. Plus maintenance and insurance. It would have to increase by about $4k a year min for me to break even.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Community Organizer

ABP is also rare, only in Canada in 2008 and 2009 and offered on the CR.

Here is a good car to start with on another note. Certainly a project but might be worth the work?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/l...ationFlag=true

at $6K.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hfreak

Here is a good car to start with on another note. Certainly a project but might be worth the work?

at $6K.
But the tires are good, lol.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by haga888
Originally Posted by Hfreak' timestamp='1466042430' post='23994440

at $6K.
But the tires are good, lol.
Clean title too? Almost a complete partout or a track car after a few $$$

Wasn't there a complete car(not road worthy) for around the same price not long ago? 2003 GPW?
Old 06-15-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by jvf1
Nice summary.
And yeah, my CR is going nowhere!
oh, its going somewhere...fast!

I agree with the above- i'm glad to see prices increasing- it means younger buyers can't ruin them with ridiculous hellacrap modifications, and shaky maintenance.

Now, there are deals out there. Currently a 100k km SSM in MI is listed on this site. Its a CR clone (with OEM parts) with no soft top currently and CR tonneau. Without a doubt at 13k USD its a great choice for the beginner s2000 owner (for the record, you won't have to RIV it as it is now 15 yrs old). For me, i'd love to have this in my garage as a mate to my '03...and maybe selling all the CR stuff...

anyway, the s2000 is becoming collectable (in low mileage, non salvage guise) and will continue to be sought after on account of its driving dynamics and back to basics allure. You could buy a miata or corvette, but they're everywhere (like citytv).

And as far as colour, its highly subjective- I really like the suzuka blue and as April does too, enough justification to buy another S.

darcy
Old 06-16-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
Originally Posted by jvf1' timestamp='1466006868' post='23993916
Nice summary.
And yeah, my CR is going nowhere!
oh, its going somewhere...fast!

I agree with the above- i'm glad to see prices increasing- it means younger buyers can't ruin them with ridiculous hellacrap modifications, and shaky maintenance.

Now, there are deals out there. Currently a 100k km SSM in MI is listed on this site. Its a CR clone (with OEM parts) with no soft top currently and CR tonneau. Without a doubt at 13k USD its a great choice for the beginner s2000 owner (for the record, you won't have to RIV it as it is now 15 yrs old). For me, i'd love to have this in my garage as a mate to my '03...and maybe selling all the CR stuff...

anyway, the s2000 is becoming collectable (in low mileage, non salvage guise) and will continue to be sought after on account of its driving dynamics and back to basics allure. You could buy a miata or corvette, but they're everywhere (like citytv).

And as far as colour, its highly subjective- I really like the suzuka blue and as April does too, enough justification to buy another S.

darcy
I have a hard time buying a car expecting to make money out of it. I buy a car expecting to drive the HECK out of it.

That's exactly what I've done for both vehicles that I currently own. My g/f is always wondering why I just hop on and off the 401 and run back and forth between Scarborough to Mississauga on a whim - I just don't care - the drive is all I care aboot.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LemonJus
I have a hard time buying a car expecting to make money out of it. I buy a car expecting to drive the HECK out of it.

That's exactly what I've done for both vehicles that I currently own. My g/f is always wondering why I just hop on and off the 401 and run back and forth between Scarborough to Mississauga on a whim - I just don't care - the drive is all I care aboot.
+1
Especially if you have a S2000, its made for your pleasure.

Quick Reply: The "What is my car worth?" thread