Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Whirring Noise From the Rear

Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whirring Noise From the Rear

Hopefully some of you local forum guys can help me trouble shoot this issue.

I bought a used 03' S2000 with 68,000km on the odometer and have been hearing a slight whirring noise coming from the left (driver) rear side of the car. Now at first I thought this was a wheel bearing and still very well could be, but there is no movement of the wheel. The ailments are as follows:

1) No movement of the wheel
2) Noise is noticeable only when the top is up
3) Noise is slightly noticeable between 25 km/h-50km/h
4) Noise is very noticeable between 90 km/h - 105 km/h
5) Noise is more noticable when under load (on the throttle)
6) Tires are brand new Star Spec Z1's (just over 1000km on them now) *

My experience with wheel bearings has always been that the sound would be continuous regardless of load or not. If this is not a wheel bearing issue, what else could it be? I realize its hard to trouble shoot without actually hearing the noise but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm sure someone is going to tell me to search, but I have done so and have not come up with anything conclusive.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:34 AM

could be tires
Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 AM

Sorry I should have noted the tires are brand new.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by purplemonkeydishwasher
They could still be making the noise. Or it could be the diff
Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced the wheel hub assembly (wheel bearing) on my Prelude. It was making a constant loud hum that you could hear at any speed but got slightly louder at higher speeds.

Recently, the Prelude was making a differnt noise from the rear passenger. Since the bearings were new I knew it was not them. The noise was a kind of pitchy whurring kind of noise. It ended up being a seized caliper. If I recall though, the caliper noise was not as constant as the bearing noise.

Don't know if that helps but just thought I'd share.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by afzan
Originally Posted by purplemonkeydishwasher' timestamp='1306770035' post='20630836
They could still be making the noise. Or it could be the diff
I'm not very familiar with the ins and outs of diiferentials but I have been reading about this extensively. What I don't quite understand is if it was the diff, why the noise would be predominantly coming from the driver rear. I would expect the noise to be more centralized within the rear of the car. The noise is VERY faint if audible at all when sitting on the passenger side.

Originally Posted by Himura357
I replaced the wheel hub assembly (wheel bearing) on my Prelude. It was making a constant loud hum that you could hear at any speed but got slightly louder at higher speeds.

Recently, the Prelude was making a differnt noise from the rear passenger. Since the bearings were new I knew it was not them. The noise was a kind of pitchy whurring kind of noise. It ended up being a seized caliper. If I recall though, the caliper noise was not as constant as the bearing noise.

Don't know if that helps but just thought I'd share.

Hmmm...thank you very much. I am going to check that out tonight as I never thought of that. If it IS a seized caliper however, under straight line braking, shouldn't the car pull left or right as the brake torque is no longer balanced laterally?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the car lowered? do you have drive shaft spacers if it is?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:35 AM
cyk

It's hard to be accurate pin pointing where exactly the sound is coming from when sitting in a car and driving, there could be different ways how the sound "transfer" through the cockpit, plus many other factors as well, wind noise, road noise, engine noise....

For my case, it was the diff, if we have similar definition of a "whirring sound". And the whirring sound is always there, usually quieter after a diff oil changed.

Do you know when the last time diff oil was changed?

I'm not very familiar with the ins and outs of diiferentials but I have been reading about this extensively. What I don't quite understand is if it was the diff, why the noise would be predominantly coming from the driver rear. I would expect the noise to be more centralized within the rear of the car. The noise is VERY faint if audible at all when sitting on the passenger side.

[quote name='Himura357' timestamp='1306777216' post='20631080']
Old 05-30-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by danio
is the car lowered? do you have drive shaft spacers if it is?
Not lowered. The car is bone stock.

Originally Posted by cyk
It's hard to be accurate pin pointing where exactly the sound is coming from when sitting in a car and driving, there could be different ways how the sound "transfer" through the cockpit, plus many other factors as well, wind noise, road noise, engine noise....

For my case, it was the diff, if we have similar definition of a "whirring sound". And the whirring sound is always there, usually quieter after a diff oil changed.

Do you know when the last time diff oil was changed?

I will be changing out the diff fluid tomorrow actually. I am praying it's not the diff. I was looking over the service records and it seems like the diff fluid has been changed once at 40,000 km if my memory serves me correctly. That being said, I am assuming it was the diff fluid as the description on the service record isn't very descriptive and could have also been for tranny fluid.

I am hoping there is no damage to the diff...
Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM
cyk

Well, just because there's whirring sound, doesn't necessary mean there's damage to the diff.

I think there'll be some whirring sound coming from the diff regardless, correct me if I'm wrong guys.

I change my diff oil once a year, if not at least every other year, I still have the whirring sound, but diff seems working fine.

Quick Reply: Whirring Noise From the Rear