Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Why didn't they make the price 90K?

Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree, for the most part, with what is written.

i read this shiit mostly for dogman's (and other's) scintillating wit.

however, at times, some on this board appear to be too elitist and deprecating to members of a socio-economic group from whom, in reality, they are likely not that far removed.

after all, it's only a honda. it's not a ferrari/lambo/porsche. i paid msrp for mine in oct.1, 1999. now with 35 km, i agree the resale bites, but i just won't sell and simply will keep for very limited use.

we cannot actively or passively control who uses this open forum.

the existing insular cliques will be the baby's blanket for those who need it.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 AM
osc

damn... almost makes me feel extremely uninvited to any meets/outings as a new owner...
Old 02-07-2005, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately that is the grim reality of being a new s2000 for the Toronto Club nowadays as the car has aged, depreciated and is almost "yesterdays news" for some.

don't get intimidated, if i'm there, i'll take the time make your acquaintance.. need not worry
Old 02-07-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikamaya' date='Feb 7 2005, 03:47 PM
however, at times, some on this board appear to be too elitist and deprecating to members of a socio-economic group from whom, in reality, they are likely not that far removed.
how so?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:11 AM

In canada it is definitely a more affluent type of person purchasing a new S2000, but in the states i wouldn't say so. They make basically same amount of money as us and there cars are only 30k new. That along with our rising dollar has made the value of our cars drop like a rock. Gosh a new S2k from the states is about 45k all taxes and duties in compared to our 50k + taxes. That being stated, i think it will still be awhile before all the little 16 year olds are driving S2k's. There is still only a limited market of new ones being introduced to the market every year and right now only the few that could afford brand new preludes (when they were still being produced) could afford a used S2k.
With all that being said, i don't think it would be fair to consider anyone under the age 25 or so to be classified as the "young group" just because of their age but it should be decided on their maturity. I am only 21 and am proud that i could afford one of my dream cars at this early age in part due to the falling used value.

Also, for 90k, who in there right mind would have bought one???!! You can get into used 911's and ferrari's for that!!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:19 AM

If these young kids are getting their hands on them and drive wrecklessly, it will in return, drive up the insurance rates on the S. Right now they have a good rating because they are rare and not involved in as many accidents and traffic ticket violations compared to any other Honda.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by lude2S' date='Feb 7 2005, 04:11 PM
I am only 21 and am proud that i could afford one of my dream cars at this early age in part due to the falling used value.
that's exactly the point and you'll be asked if have you been to any skid schools, driving schools to properly understand driving a rwd car as such
Old 02-07-2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by triniexr' date='Feb 7 2005, 04:19 PM
If these young kids are getting their hands on them and drive wrecklessly, it will in return, drive up the insurance rates on the S.
yes, but the insurance has not driven up to the point of deterring them is what is happening as mummy and daddy's money help .. etc. etc..

furthermore, the young kids driving them point:
this has been the case with my area of mississauga FnF'ers with their modded civics, talons, cavaliers. the cops just group s2000's into that group now, which really sux..

i get pulled over at least twice per month for no apparent reason.. they pace and pace and pace me until they finally pull me over.. they look at my car and assume i'm street racing.. but when they look at me , check things out further, check my age on my licence, i get a pass..

or the classic case, the minute you VTEC anywhere in the vicinity of a cop.. you're dead !
Old 02-07-2005, 11:31 AM

If it hurt when I shit i'd call Mikamaya, but not on socio-economics heh

I don't think this has anything to do with old or new money, I don't think it has anything to do with a thin wallet, its got everything to do with attitude.

Lots of people like the car, some are real enthusiasts who just couldn't afford it at a 48k+ range, some just don't buy new etc...perfect bring those guys out.

The kids who can afford the car, or are given the car and just want to bling and look cool and street race... like we need that. I'd say this at any price really.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, sometimes people feel mine is too extreme but look at things, who remembers when we have a good run for more than a few weeks? Someone comes out and blows the car off the road and into a ditch at high speed and everyone remembers it forever...its how we are viewed. It taints things. Higher potential for mass doucheing is not something I look forward too.

Age also tends to be viewed as the main problem..its not we have some young guys in the group who are good drivers, strive to become better, act like adults etc. Knowing the limits of what you know and what the car can do is the way we really need to look at things sometimes. I'd say experience would be a better way to view someone with this car.

I trust the guys I know and drive with...the guys I don't know I don't trust implicitly because they own the same car.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:40 AM

indeed its the bad they all remember..

remember what happened to my old silverstone within 10 days of selling it .. heh heh

Quick Reply: Why didn't they make the price 90K?