Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Winter Storage

Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Another question easily answered by reading the owner's manual. (At least this isn't another "what oil should I use?" question.) The manual lists a lot more than put on jack stands if more than a month in storage.

I like mine off the floor because my other cars bring in salt and slush.

-- Chuck
I often hear not to leave the suspension in full droop if on jackstands, so the manual recommendation isn't best. If I was leaving mine on jackstands I'd put some supports under each corner to avoid the suspension going to full droop. Just my opinion.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I used to start my car up once and awhile. It now I just let it sit for 4-5 months.

and I dunno about you guys but my bushings are preloaded/clocked for the car sitting on the ground.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change fluids, change to winter storage wheels and put the car up onto dollies so I can roll the car around the garage to work on it when I need to, and roll it out of the way to have more space when I don't need to work on it.

Originally Posted by jaymz
I put mine on dollies. I did have to weld some supports on these though.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...es/A-p8683328e
These are the dollies that I'm planning on using. Are they not strong enough to hold the car with 2 sets (all 4 wheels)? I can weld up reinforcements if needed, but I haven't used them yet, so I don't see why there should be a need if they are rated at 2000lbs a pair.

Also, as a reminder to everybody who has ultra high/extreme performance tires or r-comps, etc etc, make sure you store them indoors and out of the cold, or else you'll be wondering why you're sliding all over the track when summer comes.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Hello S2K
Haven't been around for some time but I'm looking to store my S and it won't come out until the season after next (Summer 2019 - Family addition)
Looking to see what needs to be done.
Also, will need to look at maintenance as I normally do oil/filter changes.
All other fluid changes have not been done since my last tech meet at S2KObsession place ~6 years or so.
Anyone willing to help me out with any remaining maintenance before I put it away?
BTW I've only put ~5000kms since 2013-present, and ~10000kms between 2011-2012
Thanks
Kookie
Old 09-22-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CensoredByRFD
Change fluids, change to winter storage wheels and put the car up onto dollies so I can roll the car around the garage to work on it when I need to, and roll it out of the way to have more space when I don't need to work on it.

These are the dollies that I'm planning on using. Are they not strong enough to hold the car with 2 sets (all 4 wheels)? I can weld up reinforcements if needed, but I haven't used them yet, so I don't see why there should be a need if they are rated at 2000lbs a pair.

Also, as a reminder to everybody who has ultra high/extreme performance tires or r-comps, etc etc, make sure you store them indoors and out of the cold, or else you'll be wondering why you're sliding all over the track when summer comes.
I wish you luck. I put my car on them last year and tried to roll it into the corner and one wheel started to buckle. My friend has the same ones and he welded his ans now he stores a '68 Polara on them and no issues.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kookiemonster
Hello S2K
Haven't been around for some time but I'm looking to store my S and it won't come out until the season after next (Summer 2019 - Family addition)
Looking to see what needs to be done.
Also, will need to look at maintenance as I normally do oil/filter changes.
All other fluid changes have not been done since my last tech meet at S2KObsession place ~6 years or so.
Anyone willing to help me out with any remaining maintenance before I put it away?
BTW I've only put ~5000kms since 2013-present, and ~10000kms between 2011-2012
Thanks
Kookie
sup man where you located?

btw guys, there was an old thread that covered this exact subject

Last edited by starchland; 09-22-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:37 PM

I wish you luck. I put my car on them last year and tried to roll it into the corner and one wheel started to buckle. My friend has the same ones and he welded his ans now he stores a '68 Polara on them and no issues.

Hmmm that's a bit disappointing. Do you have any picture of where you reinforced them? You can PM me if that's easiest (and I'll be very grateful for the help!)

I'd prefer to break out my welder and reinforce them before I use them if they're going to fail on me, because with my luck, it'll fail at the worst time possible.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:37 AM

Hmmm that's a bit disappointing. Do you have any picture of where you reinforced them? You can PM me if that's easiest (and I'll be very grateful for the help!)

I'd prefer to break out my welder and reinforce them before I use them if they're going to fail on me, because with my luck, it'll fail at the worst time possible.
Don't have any pictures and they are at my parents house an hour away at the moment (that's where the S is getting stored until my house is finished). Basically used half inch flat bar and welded one on each end from caster to caster not across where your tire goes so side to side not front to back.
Hope this helps.
I might look into a set of these looks like it would make it really easy not cheap though.
GoJak & RakJak | Sayco/Canbuilt Mfg.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:44 AM

Don't have any pictures and they are at my parents house an hour away at the moment (that's where the S is getting stored until my house is finished). Basically used half inch flat bar and welded one on each end from caster to caster not across where your tire goes so side to side not front to back.
Hope this helps.
I might look into a set of these looks like it would make it really easy not cheap though.
GoJak & RakJak Sayco/Canbuilt Mfg.

ah, okay, that's perfect thanks! I was wondering how it may start bending, but if the outside frame is the weak point and collapses, that makes sense. Kind of surprising considering how light the S is though.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:16 PM

ah, okay, that's perfect thanks! I was wondering how it may start bending, but if the outside frame is the weak point and collapses, that makes sense. Kind of surprising considering how light the S is though.
My thoughts exactly.. the one wheel started to collapse inward. They were brand new first time trying them. So I moved the car as far over as i could and jacked it up and set the car on them and didn't move it for the winter. I won't be moving it around in my dad's garage to test out the supports but when my house is finished I'll have just over 1100sqft to try them out

Quick Reply: Winter Storage