Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Winter Tires Buyers

Old 11-06-2001, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not wanting to be completly cliche' I'll give a better answer.

Most of the winter my road is subject to fairly high drifts..which even sometimes bog down my truck, which is raised.

So for me to even think about driving the S would likely mean I'd be parking it in a snow drift. Not something I'm willing to do.

I could also crown rust proof it, and I"m sure one day I'll do that. But not now. I have the beaters to drive around in the winter and I want to keep the S as pristine as possible..well atleast no rust and other shit on it.

If I lived in the city where it hardly snows and is always plowed I might consider some snow tires and run it once in a while, but I'd still likely park it for the most part.

Its going to be very painful to put it away. Right now I drive it and I feel like everytime I put it in the garage it could be the last time for a long time. Very sad. I'm actually looking forward to driving into Richmond Hill tomorrow and Thursday for meetings.

How friggin sick is that.

Vince
Old 11-06-2001, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vince,

if your meetings are in the latter part of the day, we should get together for a brew after work/business hours - andrew lives across the street from me (black/black) - i could call him too - maybe rahul could join up as well - and leslie - and ed .......

hell, let's just have a party....

i'm off yonge north of 407. lemme know if you're interested.

nimesh
Old 11-06-2001, 03:01 PM

Actually I'm doing a video conference / training thing on Wednesday and Thursday from 8am (good friggen grief) till 1pm.

Wednesday is a no way, we're trying to fight a gravel pit from sucking our wells dry and I need to be at a township meeting to bitch. Thursday might be a good time though.

Vince
Old 11-07-2001, 08:53 AM

Searching on winter tires (live in Massachusetts) and came across this thread. I don't like driving ANY car in the winter but this is my only ride so snows are going on Monday. I commute to work using mass transit but will take it out to gym and shopping etc. when reasonable to do so. Even with snows, (4wd, traction control etc. on other vehicles) round rubber on snow and ice doesn't really work.

I did drive rear wheel drives year round prior to FWD technology. I had one accident in a 73 cutlass due to this but also had one in a 90 civic (FWD) due to weather conditions. One of my best winter cars was a 72 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. It would plow right through drifts and I drove it with confidence, same tires year round. Now that I'm a bit older, I don't think I could do it again.

Anyway, do you have any experience with Garrit HT's? Got a good price on 4 stock size.

Thanks,
Chaz01
Old 11-07-2001, 10:11 AM

I had Garrit HT's on my IS300 last year..... didn't have exceptional experience on them but most likely due to the characteristics of the car and not entirely attributable to the tires....

Nokians have proved to be one of the best I've had on my previous cars in my opinion~
Old 11-07-2001, 11:25 AM

i've also had experience with nokians on front-drive sedans - excellent choice.

for the S2000, not so sure - try a "sport" tire - blizzak, alpin etc.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:54 AM

vince - leave me your cell number re: thursday

mine is 416-452-0699

i met rahul for lunch and he said he'd be up for a drink...

i'll arrange it if you're up for it.

nimesh
Old 11-20-2001, 05:32 AM

vince, you never replied to this thread!!!

show a little courtesy DAMMIT!!!
Old 11-20-2001, 09:46 AM

Got the tires put on. They definitely don't handle like the so2's but no surprise there. Will have to see what bad conditions are like. After putting them on we had some top down vtec weather and the car was not entirely stable, seemed very drifty. My snow/ice driving patterns will be much different tho. Dreaming of spring, the so2's, a fresh wax job and a windy road.

Chaz01
Old 11-20-2001, 09:55 AM

chaz,

which ones did you end up getting?

i have blizzak MZ-01's (stock sizes) and i DO NOT not find them squirmy.

are your pressures correct - i use 35 psi on the winter tires to compensate for the softer sidewall - works great. try it, you should like it.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Buyers