Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Yet another TCT thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another TCT thread

Yup, you guessed it, I think my tct is dying and I need advice on what to do.
I switched to 5w40 oil last summer because the car is heavily track driven so I wanted a little bit more viscosity at higher temps. Fast forward to this year, I pull my car out of the garage to get it warm and burn off the condensation, as I'm pulling it back in I hear that distinct ticking which is weird because when I parked it before winter I had no problems. I also ran it a couple times during the winter with no issues as well.
I only redlined it for a little bit after I started it to warm it up faster (no i didn't actually do this)

Is it maybe condensation in my oil causing the tct to act funny? Would going back to 10w30 help? did my tct just decide to commit seppuku over the winter?

if it did die, should I try wormblasting the sand gear or just buy billmans tct?

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be that, or your valves need adjusting? They do get noisy when they are out of spec. Also with regards to the TCT you can check out Ballade's TCT. Its expensive but comes with a lifetime warranty and the blue color is good so you know that you've replaced it by looking at it.

https://www.balladesports.com/produc...hain-tensioner
Old 04-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by A. Dos Santos

if it did die, should I try wormblasting the sand gear or just buy billmans tct?
Don't wormblast anything

On a serious note. Was the sound only at idle? Usually tct get bad over time. They don't just start mking lots of noise. Maybe try taking a video and post it up if you can.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:20 PM

FYI, I got back from Billman last month, he doesn't ship TCT to Canada till he get cores return from north.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:14 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

If Bill will ship to Toronto just put your car out of service for the (maybe) week it takes to ship yours and get his. If this is your only car, though, you're stuck with another option. Once the TCT arrives all you have to do is push it in, bolt it with the supplied bolts (you gotta send yours), and pull the pin out the inspection hole in the front. Good needle nose pliers needed there, the rest is an Allen wrench and 10mm ratchet.

Or have it shipped to your Buffalo receiving address and do the swap in the parking lot. It's that easy.

-- Chuck
Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by myflys2k
Don't wormblast anything

On a serious note. Was the sound only at idle? Usually tct get bad over time. They don't just start mking lots of noise. Maybe try taking a video and post it up if you can.
bit of an update, it's not a permanent noise. it wasn't there when i cold started the car, and i didn't notice it until i started pulling it back into the garage (echo off the walls) after i took it around the block so it'll assuming it's something to do with the oil viscosity. As soon as i heard the ticking i just shut it off. i started it up yesterday and i didn't hear anything at all, left it running for a bit, still nothing, propped the hood open to get a listen and it sounded perfectly normal.
really strange i only heard the rattling just the one time.