Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Your opinions please.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:28 AM
Fob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your opinions please.

Ok, here is the situation...

Currently there's 2 cars for my family. My car and my mom's car (Jeep). Now with the winter coming, and my mom drives her car almost everyday when I need it. Therefore I either need to purchase a set of snow tires and drive during the snow days, or get another car that could do just fine throughout the whole winter.

The options that my family and I are thinking of:

-Purchase a set of snow tires and drive my car in the winter. Leave it in the garage when the snow is too bad outside.

-Get a winter beater to just survive through winter.

-Get a new vehicle that can be driven throughout the whole year.

-Rent a car for winter and return it afterwards.

Now, I don't know about the first option. But I'd really prefer to store my car instead of driving it in winter...since it's still a little convertible and no matter how concentrated and carefully I am, there's still some idiots on the roads, and the risk during winter is even greater...Also if I just buy a set of winter tires, it's fine for me to drive on normal snowy days, but once it's snowing heavily it's not driveable, might get stuck in the snow or something...

Getting a cheap cheap winter beater, looking at around a few grand maximum. Don't know about the reliabilities since it's a winter beater. Might spend lots and lots money into fixing the car than the original price that we pay for it. Only thing that we're concerned...

About a new vehicle. We were looking at the new 4 door Honda Civic...which we could drive it anytime during the year. While stop the insurance of my car and drive this one instead along with my mom's jeep. And when it's spring, stop the insurance for my mom's jeep so she could drive this vice versa.

I'm not very sure how it works when it comes down to renting a car for a long period of time...but is it worth it for me in this case? What if they say oh you scratched here oh you abused there when you're returning the car in? Should I expect them to say that? And approximately how much am I looking at renting a car for that long period of time?

I know it seems like the better solution for this would obviously be the 3rd one. Our budget is not that high, not looking for something highend. Probably in the 15000-25000 range.

I'd really want some more advices if there's any other options for me. Thanks in advance guys!

PS. If you could hook up with Honda Civic or any other vehicle that you think worths my time taking a look at it, please let me know...
Old 10-04-2004, 08:33 AM

There's a lot more costs to consider when owning a 3rd car beyond simply the purchase price. Insurance, licensing, storage costs for you summer car.... plus most days in the winter the roads in and around Toronto are dry so i means you'll have to drive a crappy car on perfectly good streets for half the year for no reason.

Get the tires, and enjoy the S as much as you can while you have it.

Actually Ben, you of all people should be considering driving this thing in the winter.

1. you already have a hard top so extra snow on the roof and ice on the rear window is no issue,

2. you're in the buddy club so you can increase the road clearance if you want too

3. lastly, sorry to say but you got quite a few scratches on the doors already so I don't think winter driving will make it much worse.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

benny,

there's a big diff. in 15000-20000 and a set of $1000 snows...

i'd do snow tires and drive the S2000....if you're really concerned on a bad day, leave he S2000 at home and take a cab or bus.

get snows and raise your car....you'll be set.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben,

I used to advocate winter driving an s2000.

If your "dry season" commute is over 45mins it will be hellish come winter.

I no longer enjoy sitting in 2.5 - 3.0 hours of bumper to bumper traffic in snowy conditions. too many idiots on the roads today..

Only on the cold dry days I will i drive it only.

i like the winter beater idea
Old 10-04-2004, 08:38 AM

Work out your math. I did mine and it seemed better to get a beater and store my car.

Edit: I totally agree with Simon. My commute is > 1hr ONE way to work. When it starts snowing it'd be probably another 30mins longer. Moreover, I suspect I'll be using a lot more gas.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Fob

Yea Nimesh, it's a huge difference...but the thing is when winter overs, my family can use the new vehicle instead of the old Jeep (which already starting to have massive problems...) They can't drive it if it's a winter beater in the summer, that just makes me feel weird as I'm driving s2000 and they're driving a shietbox.

About the winter beater, where should I purchase it from? Private sale? Dealership? Isn't there a huge risk that I'll have to spend money to fix it every once a while since it's an old car? Is it worth it?

Currently the commute for me be around 1hr. When it's winter I suspect it'd be about 2hr...
Old 10-04-2004, 08:48 AM

lol... i drove my last winter... good sets of snows make a big difference...
Old 10-04-2004, 08:51 AM

I have a beater...it's about 500 bucks if you want it
Old 10-04-2004, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ksimon,Oct 4 2004, 12:37 PM
I no longer enjoy sitting in 2.5 - 3.0 hours of bumper to bumper traffic in snowy conditions.
this won't change just b/c you're in a different car!?!?!?!?!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it can when someone hits you from behind

Quick Reply: Your opinions please.