Sponsor S2000 Suspension, Brake and Handling Deals Sponsor deals on S2000 suspension and S2000 handling products

Sakebomb Garage Competition Rear Big Brake Kit - GROUP BUY

Old 04-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Sakebomb Garage Competition Rear Big Brake Kit - GROUP BUY

Sakebomb Garage is proud to introduce the ultimate rear brake solution for the S2000!

Problem:
The S2000 is a brilliant performance platform, but I think we can all agree…the rear brakes are unacceptable for performance applications. Specifically, the solid 282x12mm rear rotors are woefully inadequate for a car of this level of horsepower and handling capabilities. For some perspective, the stock rear rotor is essentially the same size as the rear rotor from the Mazda Miata, which makes 128hp and weighs over 400lbs less! We saw a problem with this . The solid rear rotor cannot cool effectively at all because of lack of venting. In simple terms, the small, solid rotors have no ability to cool themselves. These factors cause extreme rotor temperatures, which lead to: destroyed wheel bearings, melted pads, necessity for extreme race compounds, brake fade, and eventually loss of braking. All of this you know.

After searching high and low, we were shocked to find there were no suitable solutions. We knew we had to do something…and we did!

Solution:
Introducing the Sakebomb Garage Vented, Directional Curved Competition Rear Brake Kit! We looked at doing a kit using the OEM S2000 caliper but found that we were greatly handicapped by its narrow width. The stock caliper proved to be a poor candidate for our goals. We felt that retaining the e-brake was a requirement, as well as cost of replacement parts. Piston bore size, increased caliper width, and parts availability were also important factors. We finally settled on the RX-8 caliper based on these criteria.

Rotor design: Weight and fitment also played into our design goals. We designed a lightweight custom two piece rotor employing directional curved vanes, to further maximize cooling efficiency. The hats were designed for extreme temperatures, using a competition racing standard 2024-t351 aluminum, instead of basic 6061, which is more stable at high temperatures. As with all of our brake kits, hard-anodizing, mil-spec hardware, and silver plated locking jet-nuts are standard.

Benefits:
  • Increased rotor diameter 282mm to 314mm - for increased braking torque
  • Increased rotor width - 12mm SOLID to 20mm directional curved vane VENTED
  • Lightweight two-piece rotors
  • Retains e-brake functionality
  • Reliable and affordable OEM RX-8 Caliper - easily sourced from Ebay used, rebuilt online, or new from Mazda.
  • Wide variety of pads to choose from

What’s in the box:
  • SBG Designed 314x20mm 2-piece Vented Directional Curved Vane rotors - 2024-t356 Hard Anodized hats with mil-spec locking hardware
  • SBG Designed 6061-t6 Caliper Brackets
  • SBG RX8->S2000 E-Brake Rotational Mechanism and Hard Mount Brackets
  • SBG Chassis E-Brake Cable Mounting Extension Brackets
  • SBG DOT Approved Stainless Brake Lines
  • Installation Instructions

*Brake pads are NOT included, but are widely available in all compounds for RX8 Rear Caliper. We offer Endless and Hawk through our website.

Pricing:
Introductory pricing for our first run of 15 kits will be $1095. We are accepting deposits now with balance to be paid before the kits ship. The production run will be done in 3-5 weeks and will start shipping in order of payment submission. Brake rotors will come fully assembled, however it will be the customer's responsibility to source RX8 calipers. Brake calipers from any year RX-8 (auto or manual) are identical and suitable for this kit.

Additional notes:
We designed this rear brake kit to be used with our 325 x 32mm Front AP Competition Brake kit, or Track-Day Brake Kit. This rear brake kit provides about 20% increase in effective torque so you may need to select a rear pad with lower coefficient of friction if you are using an existing front BBK with undersized pistons, or stock front calipers. Proper brake bias will depend on a variety of factors including suspension setup and tire compound. Let us know if you need pointers with pad compound selection.

More Pictures:

Old 04-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Sponsor

To reserve a spot please submit a non-refundable deposit HERE or pay in full HERE

0. Sakebomb Garage, s2ki, Paid in Full
1. Gabe R., Facebook, Deposit
2. Charles B., Facebook, Deposit
Old 04-05-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I missed it in the intial post, but what wheel specs would you need for these to clear?
Old 04-05-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

can you use the oem rx8 brake discs with your caliper mounts? I like the idea of a 2pc rotor, but i also like the having cheap replacement options.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by circuitclub
can you use the oem rx8 brake discs with your caliper mounts? I like the idea of a 2pc rotor, but i also like the having cheap replacement options.
The stock discs are too small in diameter, hub bore is wrong, and the offset is wrong. Not only that but the stock RX-8 rotor is 18mm wide. We were able to squeeze a 20mm disc in to increase airflow through the disc.

However we did keep replacement costs in mind! Replacement rings should run under $100 each, however they should many times longer than a stock disc. Also your brake pads will last significantly longer due to much lower temperatures (i.e. not melting away to the backing plate after two track days).
Old 04-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by rmerchant3
Maybe I missed it in the intial post, but what wheel specs would you need for these to clear?
This should fit pretty much anything 17" and above. We are running 17x9 +49 WedSport TC105N. Radially there is about 2 finger gap between the caliper and barrel. Caliper face to back of wheel spokes is also about 2-3 finger gap. It's basically larger radially but the lateral caliper position remained very close to stock. We are confident that this setup will fit most if not all 17" S2000 wheels.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" Brake rotors will come fully assembled, however it will be the customer's responsibility to source rotors. Brake calipers from any year RX-8 (auto or manual) are identical and suitable for this kit."

Just a FYI, you might want to change it to say ...customer's responsibility to source calipers".
Old 04-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by yeaitsahonda
" Brake rotors will come fully assembled, however it will be the customer's responsibility to source rotors. Brake calipers from any year RX-8 (auto or manual) are identical and suitable for this kit."

Just a FYI, you might want to change it to say ...customer's responsibility to source calipers".
updated! Thanks for catching this typo!
Old 04-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Sponsor

Brackets are in =)

Old 04-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

possible to buy just a set of the brackets? I've been working on a similar solution using the same calliper myself and just have the brackets left to complete. This would save me a ton of time!

Quick Reply: Sakebomb Garage Competition Rear Big Brake Kit - GROUP BUY