Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Off-Topic > Sports and Online Games
Reload this Page >

Official PC Sim Racing thread

Notices
Sports and Online Games Discussion of all sports and games

Official PC Sim Racing thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Default Official PC Sim Racing thread

Ok, so there are maybe a couple people who are into the whole PC sim racing thing instead of consoles but I thought I would see if anybody is out there. I just got a PC going yesterday.

So if you are out there, post your rig, maybe even pics, what hardware you are running and favorite games. I only have one so far bought Project Cars 2 but have plans for the Dirt Rally release in Febraury and Asseto Corsa Competizione. Played some open wheel vintage cars on Le Mans last night and was stunned by the graphics after playing on consoles for so long. Karts are fun too. Don't have all the wheel setting dialed in yet for the best force feedback.

My rig is:

Triple screen GTR Simulator seat with some Viewsonic gaming monitors.
Ryzen 5 2600x
16 gig
Evga 2070 Gaming video card.
Dusty old Fanatec CSR (yes an Xbox 360 era wheel)

Future plans include (when I have money)

Fanatec Podium direct drive wheel with new pedals and shifter.
Vive Pro VR
Some form of motion rig.

Game recommendations welcome. I am trying to stick to things that have VR support or true triple screen instead of just one wide screen setup like Forza 7.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:34 AM

Wow - we must think alike haha.

I've recently just started to research Sim Racing for future purchases/build and thought to myself - "S2ki has to have some threads related to this topic", and here you are starting a thread about it just a few hours ago.

I do not have anything to offer as I don't have any setup quite yet, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here that do. I know of at least 2 people. In any case, I look forward to see everyone's setup and their reviews.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:42 AM

Well, good luck with your build. I tried to go for value and everything I read said racing sims don't take that much CPU power , but they do take a lot of GPU power so I bought the best benchmarked value for CPU (Ryzen 5 2600x) and then spent money on a video card that was on sale that could run triple screens or VR with ease. The whole crypto thing has made video card and memory prices insane. If you are collecting pieces to build a system, I would say watch the Black Friday sales and if you see some DDR4 ram or an SSD on sale, pick those up and set them aside. Cases, power supplies, motherboard and processors don't seem to vary a whole lot in price, but SSD and RAM seems to have some steals once in a while.

I think my build was something like:

Case $65
SSD 500g $85
Ryzen 5 2600x $280 (includes a CPU cooler!)
Asorus Motherboard $100
2070 video card $650
Ram 16g $160
Power supply $80
3 monitors 2 $250 each for total of $750
Windows 10 OS $80

Roughly $2200 for the whole deal including the 3 monitors. I have only run Project Cars 2 on it and a free download of Destiny 2 just as a graphics demo (supposed to be a demanding title) and it runs both with zero issues at high frame rates. It all runs quiet and cool too.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 AM

I've got a setup I've been using for iRacing (very good online sim btw) on a pretty low budget setup:

Older quad core AMD (920 phenom) with 8 GB RAM
Mediocre video card (Can't remember the model but passively cooled so definitely nothing special)
60" TV
G27 Logitech
Unknown seat purchased of Craigslist

All in all I think I'm $500-600 in, not including TV price as I'd have that anyway. I get about 70-80 FPS on the above setup and it works well enough. About to put in a bit better video card to see if I get any more FPS and whether this makes a difference.

I do not use the clutch shifter as I find it too unnatural shifting without any "feel" as you get with a normal car but I'm fine with paddel shifting, curious what others do.

3 screens would be super cool but likely called into questioned by the wife on spending priorities...that and I want a BBK for the S2K.

Last edited by lookstoomuch; 11-16-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: cpu correction
Old 11-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch View Post
I've got a setup I've been using for iRacing (very good online sim btw) on a pretty low budget setup:

I do not use the clutch shifter as I find it too unnatural shifting without any "feel" as you get with a normal car but I'm fine with paddel shifting, curious what others do.

I am toying with Iracing but don't know about the whole monthly cost. I have to try some online races first to see how much I like them before committing.

I have a shifter with mine but I get what you mean about the feel. The internals on mine are plastic until I upgrade and it does not feel like much but I do enjoy using it. I find that in a slower car or some old open wheelers in Project Cars 2 are 2 speed transmissions, I use the shifter. On faster cars, especially on tracks with lots of hairpins where you would have to row tons of gears up and down I go with paddles or full auto. Mostly because on some high powered cars you have no sense of what the sim will do and you downshift a gear and the car gets squirrelly and suddenly you are fighting fishtails you had no idea were coming. The lower powered cars seem to be far less sensitive and that is where I have fun working the shifter. Even when I upgrade to the metal internal shifter, I sure it will still seem artificial, but since I like using it, I will upgrade at some point.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
I am toying with Iracing but don't know about the whole monthly cost. I have to try some online races first to see how much I like them before committing.
Yes the recurring charges are a bummer, they also just auto renewed me for 2 years at full price. I begged and pleaded and got a refund as there's usualy a discount offered at some points (black friday, xmas, etc..)

The good with iRacing is the realism and potential for online racing...but...there are clearly some people playing with WAY more time invested than I and pass me like I'm standing still. There can also be the riff raff that misbehaves. This is where if there was a group of "medicore" s2ki players that wanted to form a league could make for some fun competition.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch View Post
Y...but...there are clearly some people playing with WAY more time invested than I and pass me like I'm standing still. There can also be the riff raff that misbehaves. This is where if there was a group of "medicore" s2ki players that wanted to form a league could make for some fun competition.
Yeah, my issue with Iracing is that I see a bunch of Youtube videos posted of the real serious people raging about other drivers that are total chowderheads. I have a lot of fun just racing against AI or just free driving the tracks. I would like to try some races but could deal without the rage from others if I totally suck at it. This is not my life, it is just for fun. Now, you can have the same ragers or chowders on any of the PC sims, but Project Cars and Assetto Corsa don't charge fees. So I might get Iracing and it looks like they have leagues and stuff that could be fun, but only if I like the online experience first.

Looking forward to Dirt Rally 2.0 and Assetto Corsa, but if you are looking to pick up something new, the original Assetto Corsa is on $20 on Steam right now, and while Project Cars 2 is $60, it has karts, it has some rally cross tracks with a few rally cars, it has old school open wheel racers and Lotus/Caterham 7's. I did not know it had that much variety and have been pretty happy with it so far.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Lets get this thread going!

I've been playing console my whole life and still do on GTS but I finally decided to build a PC in April and shortly after a sim rig. I don't like iRacing as much as I thought but heard good things about AC so I'll be switching over.

PC BUILD
-Thermaltake View 31 TG ATX Mid tower case
-MSI Z370 SLI Plus ATX LGA1151 motherboard
-Intel Core i5 8400 2.8GHZ 6 Core processor
-Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb (2x 8GB) 3GHz PC4-2400 DDR4 memory
-Nvidia GeForrce GTX 1080ti 11GB FE GPU
-EVA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold power supply
-Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
-Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
-Corsair LL RGB 120mm case fans x4
-Corsair Platinum K95 RGB Cherry MX wired keyboard
-Corsair Glaive RGB wired mouse
-HyperX Cloud II Pro wired headset
-HyperX Fury S Pro XL mouse pad
-Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 1MS 144Hz G-Sync monitor

SIMULATOR RIG BUILD
-Fanatec CSL Elite base
-Fanatec CSL Elite Playstation suede/perforated steering wheel w/ paddle shifters & fanaleds
-Fanatec CSL Elite pedals w/ clutch & loadcell kit
-Fanatec Clubsport shifter V1.5 (not in picture but currently installed)
-Fanatec Clubsport handbrake V1.5 (not in picture but currently installed)
-Playseat Sensation Pro w/ bucket seat
-Samsung UN40MU6300 2K TV: I plan to upgrade in the future to triple monitors but so far no complaints
-Next Level Racing rectangle floor mat

Old 12-18-2018, 07:45 AM

Fanatec V2 Base, Formula Wheel, Fanatec V1 Pedals w/ some mods, I have a Club Sport Shifter I've yet to mount. Computer is an Asus Battlebox I bought off of a black friday sale a year back.

I currently play Project cars 2 and Fallout 76. Steam: HawkeyeGeoff

BTW: The tire model in PC2 is just as good or better than the ancient technology that is IRacing. I hate their business model as well.

Edit: I also am a part of 2 discord chats that have leagues on PC2. Usually friday night fun races (3 tracks, everyone uses the same car, 15 min races a piece) and Saturday enduros (class races, full damage, fuel and tires, 1-2 hours). Give me a shout if you play and would like to be added.

Last edited by HawkeyeGeoff; 12-18-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:18 PM

I'd like to know if anyone has some feedback on the Fanatec Clubsport wheel base. I either am going to have to wait until it looks like April for them to fill orders on the Podium DD wheels, or just get the Clubsport for half the price.

All the reviews I have seen say, don't try a DD wheel unless you intend to buy one because you won't go back, but there seems to be a ton of praise for the clubsport. I have a super old CSR ( not even CSR elite) and frankly, it does not feel THAT much different from my old Xbox360 toy wheel that microsoft made. I can easily overpower the motor with a quick jerk of the wheel and the feedback is there but a little "sloppy". I really have no way to try out a Clubsport, but just wondering how strong they are or if it still feels like a toy. I heard someone say that during a test of the DD wheel their shoulders got quite the workout and the tech told them it had enough strength to break a persons thumbs off.

If I have spent a bunch on the other stuff, I wanna make sure the wheel is good, but not if if a DD is overkill.

Quick Reply: Official PC Sim Racing thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands