Reload this Page >

Official PC Sim Racing thread

Notices
Sports and Online Games Discussion of all sports and games

Official PC Sim Racing thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
I heard someone say that during a test of the DD wheel their shoulders got quite the workout and the tech told them it had enough strength to break a persons thumbs off.

If I have spent a bunch on the other stuff, I wanna make sure the wheel is good, but not if if a DD is overkill.
As a clubsport owner I can attest to this. You wont be disappointed. Best wheel on the market for money spent. I run the wheel generally around 50% of its feedback strength. Anything more and its obtrusive and a workout beyond necessary. The wheel can over power you in short order.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 01-15-2019 at 01:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to s2000Junky For This Useful Post:
HawkeyeGeoff (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 AM

Agreed with this. I have a Clubsport V1.5 with the jackrabbit custom script. It is plenty powerful enough.....the V2 and up are just the money shot really imo. I'm looking for a V2 base when people HAVE to upgrade to the podium DD.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Will order clubsport next week when it goes on next months cc bill.

I added oculus rift this month on a $350 amazon sale. It can be super cool but also make a person super motion sick. There is a real neatness to it for $350, but for me at least, I am used to it and do fine, it makes a cool change of pace from screens, but on something like Project Cars 2, you have to turn all bad weather off. If I stay on track, fine. But spins and fish tailing make for serious brain issue and I am on the couch for a half hour. Kinda like serious college drinking and getting the spins. Drifting in VR would just make a puke machine. If I keep decent traction, I am good in it for a half hour session. A motion rig is supposed to help a lot because it is a disconnect between the visual motion without any feeling of movement, but that is a huge investment.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I added clubsport shifter. 10 outta 10 and built like a tank.

Last edited by vader1; 01-17-2019 at 06:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vader1 For This Useful Post:
HawkeyeGeoff (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Will order clubsport next week when it goes on next months cc bill.

I added oculus rift this month on a $350 amazon sale. It can be super cool but also make a person super motion sick. There is a real neatness to it for $350, but for me at least, I am used to it and do fine, it makes a cool change of pace from screens, but on something like Project Cars 2, you have to turn all bad weather off. If I stay on track, fine. But spins and fish tailing make for serious brain issue and I am on the couch for a half hour. Kinda like serious college drinking and getting the spins. Drifting in VR would just make a puke machine. If I keep decent traction, I am good in it for a half hour session. A motion rig is supposed to help a lot because it is a disconnect between the visual motion without any feeling of movement, but that is a huge investment.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I added clubsport shifter. 10 outta 10 and built like a tank.
CS Shifter is definitely bitchin.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Community Organizer

Old 01-25-2019, 07:12 AM

Clubsport V2.5 arriving Tuesday with whatever the standard cheapie wheel is, but the alcantara version.

Still will need an F1 wheel and pedals but I think I will have a decent setup to run for a while before I need to throw more money at it. Excited to see how much better it is than my old CSR wheel.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Community Organizer

Clubsport V2.5 arriving Tuesday with whatever the standard cheapie wheel is, but the alcantara version.

Still will need an F1 wheel and pedals but I think I will have a decent setup to run for a while before I need to throw more money at it. Excited to see how much better it is than my old CSR wheel.
Well what do you think?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky View Post
Well what do you think?
I really like it, and it is much better than my old wheel. I only have one rim, the basic model and will buy a formula 1 rim in the future. I have a much better grasp on the in game tuning menu on the wheel and what the adjustments do. It has had a couple hiccups like when I flipped a car it went crazy and I had to shut it down so it would not break but to be expected I guess. Still need to add pedals, and go about half and half play between triple screen and VR. VR gives you more immersion and feeling of being there, where the resolution of triple screen is worlds better and pretty looking. At current resolution, I prefer triple screen except for a rare track and car where VR is more fun.

Some of the feedback I wish was a little more pronounced like rumble strips and so forth, some tracks just have a little shimmy when driving down straights for seemingly no reason but I can't figure out if that is the wheel or the game programming just throwing in random programmed feedback elements so that the wheel is doing SOMETHING.

My next add down the road is some bass shakers and whatever that software that transmits road and engine vibration to the cockpit but that will be it for this year.

What really has been entertaining is really finding the right track and the right car for the style you personally find to be the most fun. I would be curious to see what that is for other people. For me, the other day in Project Cars 2, I think I was in the preset for "Open Wheeler" and selected some track in France with a huge bridge you cross and then loop around and go back under it. Lots of sweepers, no real hair pins, and driving a couple old classic Lotus cars I think one was a Lotus 51 or something like that. You get an old lively car, and a track that pretty much lets you go all out the whole way and most of the corners play just barely at the limits of the car so you are getting the slightest drifts at the corners with the tires holding the limits of adhesion the whole way and you can feel some tire slippage through the wheel and you kind of work up a sweat riding the car at the edge for four mile laps. Great fun. I lost track of time with a friend and we swapped out and played the same track with 2 different Lotus cars and tried to beat each other's lap times. The two cars were perfect for that track and anything modern and faster just ruined the experience. I think finding the perfect car for each track makes it so much better and the wrong car on the wrong track takes all the fun out of it.

But I also think that this new wheel gave way more information and made it really entertaining where my 10 year old Fanatec would not have delivered near the same experience. The old one was too slow, underpowered and sloppy, where the new one can give you much more refined feedback with the extra power and less slop in the belt and software.

Last edited by vader1; 03-05-2019 at 01:39 PM.