Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

Exhaust Shopping

Old 12-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Shopping

Fellow Knoxville area S2000 owners, I need some help. Looking to buy an aftermarket catback exhaust system for my 2002 around April time when it gets warm again. I have some systems in mind but haven’t really experienced any of them in person. I was hoping to find some of you nearby who may have some aftermarket exhausts that I could experience first hand over the coming months. I’m interested in experiencing pretty much all systems that don’t sound like garbage. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in the Nashville area but hks duals are my favorite and I get a lot of shout outs on drives, meets, and dragon events. Been running the same exhaust on both s2ks I owned and put over 100k on it.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:13 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Be sure to hear any exhaust before buying. While driving the car roof up and down and at cruising speeds. Don't depend on notes here that it's "not much louder than stock" or it has "no drone." Also ignore any internet sound clips as even if the mic used to capture the sound (typically a mobile phone) could record it accurately (they can't), your PC couldn't reproduce it anyway.

A buddy and I both bought the attractive and popular Invidia Q300 exhausts based on internet information and neither lasted more than two weeks on our cars due to painful noise and drone. Noise registered over 105 dBA on my OSHA calibrated noise meter. The stanced Civic guys at the high school loved them, of course. Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhausts went on both cars. Under 95 dBA even with high flow cats. A long weekend of over 1200 miles a summer ago never resulted in noise fatigue. And, as if it matters, the "car guys" at the local shop where I have my Virginia annual safety inspection love the exhaust too and they're decades out of high school.

But, don't take my word for it. Find someone with the exhaust you're interested in and hear them first person. Buy good condition used if you can so if you make the wrong choice you're not out that much money.

-- Chuck
Old 12-19-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Be sure to hear any exhaust before buying. While driving the car roof up and down and at cruising speeds. Don't depend on notes here that it's "not much louder than stock" or it has "no drone." Also ignore any internet sound clips as even if the mic used to capture the sound (typically a mobile phone) could record it accurately (they can't), your PC couldn't reproduce it anyway.

A buddy and I both bought the attractive and popular Invidia Q300 exhausts based on internet information and neither lasted more than two weeks on our cars due to painful noise and drone. Noise registered over 105 dBA on my OSHA calibrated noise meter. The stanced Civic guys at the high school loved them, of course. Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhausts went on both cars. Under 95 dBA even with high flow cats. A long weekend of over 1200 miles a summer ago never resulted in noise fatigue. And, as if it matters, the "car guys" at the local shop where I have my Virginia annual safety inspection love the exhaust too and they're decades out of high school.

But, don't take my word for it. Find someone with the exhaust you're interested in and hear them first person. Buy good condition used if you can so if you make the wrong choice you're not out that much money.

-- Chuck
This is a great suggestion. I picked my exhaust after attending a meet in Atlanta years ago... i was the new guy and met everyone there. Then at the end, I waited as everyone left one by one and tallied up the votes...thats how I narrowed down my list of favorites. At the next few meets, I rode along in my favorite sounding cars and shortly thereafter bought my exhaust :-)
Old 12-21-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I put an HKS Hi-Power dual with a stock cat, 1 week and went back to stock. I did not like the drone at 3500 rpm... Sounded great otherwise but with the top up the droning was unbearable at cruising speed/rpm. I am still looking around for a dual that do not drone... I wanted something that is lighter and sound deeper than stock, I might do a UK mod on my stock mufflers if nothing comes up.

Last edited by vicrc; 12-21-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Find someone with the Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhaust.

-- Chuck
Old 12-21-2018, 12:29 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Have Tanabe concept G...have oem back on <uk mod awaits>
The above = needs tweeks, like most/all non oem >>
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...nsions-510969/
Old 01-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a single Invidia 70MM for years, and I would not recommend to anyone. Car sounds great WOT, but drones like you wouldn't believe. I've also had 2 welds break, one at the resonator and the other on one of the hangers.

If I had it to do over I probably would have went with a Spoon single. Today they are pretty impossible to find. If money is no object, go full Amuse, but its quite pricey.

Best advice I've heard, if you want to stay somewhat stock, double, is to do the UK bypass mod. Give your car a good sound with no drone.

I think just about all aftermarket exhausts have drone at cruising speeds, some worse than others.