Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

New 02' owner in Middle TN (Carthage)

Old 05-21-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 02' owner in Middle TN (Carthage)

Lurking prior to purchasing my first S2000. Found a high mileage runner that needs a little TLC! But is a solid runner. Front lip seems to have visited a steep driveway or a parking block at high speed and is the most noticeable flaw, other than the "suspect" graphics (which are simply what they are at this point).

Just wanted to introduce myself and will keep an eye on meet ups and drives....will need some advice as I start to tackle jobs, I'm sure.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, welcome to the club! I have an '04 and another member here LaneViper has an '02. Would be happy to help you with some maintenance items or advice if needed. Do you intend to track the car at all or just a pleasure/weekend car?
The following users liked this post:
Dundertaker (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by HondaTN
Hey, welcome to the club! I have an '04 and another member here LaneViper has an '02. Would be happy to help you with some maintenance items or advice if needed. Do you intend to track the car at all or just a pleasure/weekend car?
Track or Street? Street: It's going to be my Wife's "reliable" fun car with A/C. We own a 69' Beetle (The Clown car/Hot rod) and a driver 79' Super Beetle and they both have left her stranded (she doesn't wrench at all! ) neither with A/C! We are actually going to sell the 69' as it is too much car for her and too much car to just let sit. It needs to be driven and loved. If you know any beetle freaks point them my way.....I can give more info if wanted.

My plan is to see if she "loves" the format of the S2000 and then get a nicer one in the future if she loves this car. Then the track may be in it's future....or at least some autocross, etc. I got a great deal (as S2000's go) I think and I'm excited the car can still be "wrenched" on.

As for the "help" thank you for the offer. I would like to go over the car with someone to really dig into what needs to be attended to that knows these cars. Known issues so far: Camber is off on both fronts, but they are wearing consistently on the insides (I'd guess 30% more than the outsides) and I don't know if that is a feature or a problem. The car runs true and solid with no noticeable pull, even with FULL BRAKES it has no pulsing or pulling, so it seems in decent shape there.. I have no idea how old the tires are, but they are in decent shape on the rears and they are Pirelli's.

The Front bumper is the weakest part (I think I mentioned above) and I've not dug under to see if it's missing skirts, etc....and the passenger rear is "flappier" than the drivers, again...I'm guessing it's missing some fender skirt or a brace.

I'd like to get it solid and know it's safe before I try and thrash on it too hard. I've not pulled the valve cover to inspect the Keepers and Retainers yet, but the Tensioner was replaced just before I bought it, the kid had ASE Shop go through the car after he bought it (His plan was to keep it, but he lost his job).
Old 05-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, welcome! If you do need help getting her up to speed, Matt and I are glad to help. Also I have the AP1 service manual in .pdf form if you need it, just let me know.

Is the plan to keep the multi color look? If it was me, I think I would have to change that. LOL
Old 05-22-2017, 07:12 PM

I'd love to have a copy if you can send. Pgdvg@yahoo.com. Maybe after the holiday we can work out a IRL meetup to give it a once over.

As for the paint: My wife was out of town when I bought it, so the first time she saw it was tonight...it's an odd graphic for sure. She doesn't hate it, but loves the Suzuka Blue. We discussed vinyl wrap and some other options....so I doubt it will stay, but we will roll with it though the summer and get it changed after the summer, etc when we can leave it with someone and not itch to drive it. It's not as awful after you look at it for awhile, but with the number of dings and waves, and the fact It's been resprayed, the paints is in decent shape, so even if we can get the front end blended after fixing the bumper..then we'd be freaked out about chipping the fresh paint...and probably end up clear wrapping anyway, so we may just investigate wrapping it and skip the paint. Who knows.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the S2000, you both will love it. Hope to meet some of the new people this summer.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dundertaker
I'd love to have a copy if you can send. Pgdvg@yahoo.com.
You should get an email with a download link, its 28MB so I doubt it will email. Let me know if you can't get it.

I'm with you Rob, we should get to meet some new faces this summer.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:16 AM

Default A thousand thanks...GOT IT!

A thousand thanks! Got it.