Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Austin Flooding and my S2000

Old 10-31-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Austin Flooding and my S2000

There's a decent chance I'll be looking for a new car soon, as the floods in Austin yesterday left my S2000 looking like this:

I came back from work after all the rain to find the first floor of my apartment complex (I'm on the second story, thankfully) throwing out their stuff, and, unfortunately, my car was at the lowest part of the parking lot. One of my neighbors told me that it had been almost completely submerged (up to the top of the windows). I had it toed up to an automotive place in Round Rock at the recommendation of someone here, so hopefully they'll let me know on Monday if it's salvageable.

Even if it is recoverable, I suspect it will need an engine rebuild (which I was considering doing anyways, actually) and a new interior. I'm guessing that once it's all done it will be cheaper just to cut my losses, sell as many parts as I can and then buy another one. We'll see.

I hope everyone else is okay and you didn't get caught out in the floods!

In case you were wondering, here are some before pics:

Old 10-31-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really sucks man. It's almost definitely going to be considered totaled/scrap :/

There wasn't anywhere else you could have stored it?
Old 10-31-2015, 04:13 PM

No, unfortunately not. The whole parking lot was flooded, though if I'd been in any other space it might not have been a total loss (the spot I parked in was in a low corner of the lot).

Oh well; I may have lots of parts for sale soon.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SamWhited
No, unfortunately not. The whole parking lot was flooded, though if I'd been in any other space it might not have been a total loss (the spot I parked in was in a low corner of the lot).

Oh well; I may have lots of parts for sale soon.
My heart seriously goes out to you man. Best of luck, seriously. Hope you find something to work out.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Shame, hope you get your $s back form insurance company.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Damn, another one bites the dust. Good luck, hope you find another one soon!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the kind words all!

Just talked to the shop, and while it does start the electrics are completely hosed and the engine doesn't like going above a few thousand RPM (so no more vtec until I can flush the water out of the exhaust system, which is the mechanics initial guess at the problem). He said that while it's possible, it's not likely that it'll ever run properly again.

Chances are I'll sell it or part out and will be looking to buy another one soon. If you're interested, keep an eye on the FS subforum.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So sorry to see this happen Sam. Was your hardtop on the car? the problem with salvaging flood cars is that most of the interior gets ruined by the water, and thus makes parts hard to sell and make money. the body panels are worth a bit, but the interior is worth alot too. Hope you find your way into another s2000 or a repaired this one soon.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by deception9
So sorry to see this happen Sam. Was your hardtop on the car? the problem with salvaging flood cars is that most of the interior gets ruined by the water, and thus makes parts hard to sell and make money. the body panels are worth a bit, but the interior is worth alot too. Hope you find your way into another s2000 or a repaired this one soon.
Nope, the hard top was safely in my apartment on the stand I built for it luckily. Still not sure if I'll list that or not (depends if I find another one, what color it is, if it already has a hard top,etc.) but it's nice to know that something was alright

I also saved the trunk lining... pulled it off and shampooed it before the tow truck pulled up. Hadn't gotten to pulling out any of the cab though, which is probably more ruined from sitting in the mechanics parking lot wet all weekend. Small victories I guess.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:26 PM

Really Sorry to hear and see this. I can empathize. My Audi was flooded down in Buda and I'm going through that process now.

Scott
2005 Suzuka Blue

Quick Reply: Austin Flooding and my S2000