Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Interest in a co-op DIY garage in South Austin?

Old 03-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interest in a co-op DIY garage in South Austin?

Hi all,

I've been hatching a plan to open a DIY Garage in South Austin and am putting out some feelers to see if anyone from the Austin/Buda/Kyle area would be interested in such a thing.
The idea is that you could rent a bay with a lift and basic tools by the hour to work on your car without the risk of spilling fluids in your drive way, or without being able to get under the car easily.
I'd also like it to be a cooperative; members would pay an initial fee to join and would then get a discount on the hourly rate and be able to vote on the board of directors and bylaw changes.

Is this something anyone here would be interested in? If so, what sort of prices would you be willing to pay for membership, and/or for hourly bay rentals? Any other benefits you'd like to see for members?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah that would be nice, lackland AFB has that but you have to be military to use it, I think they charge 10$ to rent basic tools and the lift/ hour fee is 4$ hr. I would like to see a trans jack, spring compressor, tire balancer.
The following users liked this post:
SamWhited (03-13-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's awesome. Heads up there was/is another shop in Austin that does same thing. Definitely more expensive than base, but military has no liabilities (ie you injure yourself onbase you can't sue). First job will be for you if you haven't is find out insurance costs on such a establishment. I wish for you best of luck and thank you for choosing the better side of Austin
Old 03-18-2019, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ian300D
That's awesome. Heads up there was/is another shop in Austin that does same thing.
Yah, as far as I could find the only one (excluding military, which I had no idea about) is all the way up near Pflugerville.

Originally Posted by Ian300D
First job will be for you if you haven't is find out insurance costs on such a establishment. I wish for you best of luck and thank you for choosing the better side of Austin
I've been looking; so far it's proven a right pain, so we'll see

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2019, 01:25 PM

Hi all,

Since asking about this I've been hard at work getting ready for opening day and looking for funding.
We're not quite open yet, but it's looking more and more like it's actually going to happen!

If y'all want to know when we're open, or are interested in becoming member-owners (it's going to be a cooperative), check out the website and subscribe for updates:

https://cornergarage.coop/

I'll be sure to give S2ki members a discount when we open!
Old 09-14-2019, 05:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you're just giving up then?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by DuckyIsMe
So you're just giving up then?
Not giving up, just moving.

For anyone else reading this, I'm assuming the context here was the post I just made about moving to Atlanta: https://cornergarage.coop/blog/2019-...ng-to-atlanta/

A bit of background that's not included in the other posts: I just got a new job and am moving back to Atlanta. I'll be sad to leave Austin behind, but I was having trouble generating enough interest in Corner Garage here anyways. I talked to the board and we decided that the best thing to do was to move Corner Garage too since I was really the only one pushing for it to open, taking meetings, etc. I'll be continuing to work on it part time from Atlanta, so I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to get it open, sadly it just won't be in Austin.