Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Relocating to Houston/Austin area

Old 02-21-2007, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Relocating to Houston/Austin area

Hi there!
As the title states, I'm on my way to relocating to the South Eastern part of Texas.
To be honest I know little to nothing about Austin or Houston, and would like to see if everyone could give me some insight into the place I'm moving to.

What's the area like?
What kind of places do people goto on the weekends?
Is everyone friendly and open to newcomers?
What are the best places to live in Austin or Houston (prefer suburbs of the city)?
How's the weather... are the summers brutally hot?
Are there lots of jobs down there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just so you all know... I'm making this move with my wife, and we're doing it on our own. In other words we're not going down there because of a career situation. We just like what we've heard about Texas so far. We're both 27 years of age, and we like to go out to clubs, bars, whatever. We also like the outdoors: hiking, biking, climbing, swimming.. all that stuff.

If I had to list my priorities, in terms of what we're looking for, they'd be like this:
1) Jobs available, and salaries
2) Price of homes, what you get for the $
3) City activities: fairs, barbecues, malls, museums, clubs, etc.

(ps - this is the third thread I've started on the same topic...didn't know which part of Texas to post in =D )
Thanks!
-Dan
Old 02-22-2007, 05:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dthondatune,Feb 21 2007, 09:08 AM
Hi there!
As the title states, I'm on my way to relocating to the South Eastern part of Texas.
To be honest I know little to nothing about Austin or Houston, and would like to see if everyone could give me some insight into the place I'm moving to.

What's the area like?
What kind of places do people goto on the weekends?
Is everyone friendly and open to newcomers?
What are the best places to live in Austin or Houston (prefer suburbs of the city)?
How's the weather... are the summers brutally hot?
Are there lots of jobs down there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just so you all know... I'm making this move with my wife, and we're doing it on our own. In other words we're not going down there because of a career situation. We just like what we've heard about Texas so far. We're both 27 years of age, and we like to go out to clubs, bars, whatever. We also like the outdoors: hiking, biking, climbing, swimming.. all that stuff.

If I had to list my priorities, in terms of what we're looking for, they'd be like this:
1) Jobs available, and salaries
2) Price of homes, what you get for the $
3) City activities: fairs, barbecues, malls, museums, clubs, etc.

(ps - this is the third thread I've started on the same topic...didn't know which part of Texas to post in =D )
Thanks!
-Dan
Welcome! I think you'll like it here, but there is a lot to know. I live in Austin, so of course my opinions are a little biased.

First, Austin and Houston are vastly different. Houston is much more metropolitan with more to do in terms of cultural activities, but it's a huge city. Lots of concrete, very spread out. Austin is much smaller and because there is such a movement here toward conservatism, there is a lot of preserved green space. Austin is rated one of the most fitness-minded cities in the US, and if you like to run or ride bikes, you're in the right place (Lance Armstrong lives here and has a huge influence on the fitness craze here). We have a wonderful, wonderful trail system around Town Lake and other places around the city.

Regardless of which city you choose, 3+ months out of the summer are brutal asphalt melters. We make up for it with mild, pleasant winters, but when the summers run long, you'll just want to DIE rather than deal with another day of it. (I grew up in Virginia, so I can relate a little more closely to where you live) The chief difference in those rotten months between the two cities is that Houston is much more humid, so Austin tends a be a little more comfortable at those time, relatively.

Houston is flat; Austin is hilly and has lots of terrain. Austin is known as the Gateway to the Hill Country, and the Hill Country is good for lots of stuff including driving, climbing, hiking, etc.

Austin is very nightlife and music-centric, known as the Live Music Capital of the World. It is home to South by Southwest, the music and film industry's weeklong equivalent of Cannes Film Festival or Sundance. Every bar or club with a stage becomes a live music venue for several days, and you'd have better luck finding a discount flight the day before Thanksgiving on the day before Tgiving than you will finding a hotel room here that week! We are also home to Austin City Limits, which is both a television show and a 3 day outdoor music festival every fall. Sixth Street is well known for being the entertainment district with lots of bars and on weekends, closed off streets so that people can walk freely in the street. It's pretty safe down there too, as there is a large poilce presence. It's one of the few downtowns that I've felt comfortable walking in alone at night.

Austin is a very cool place to live, but it comes with a cost: allergy season here is AWFUL, and there are more than one. *Something* is constantly dropping some kind of pollen here, and allergists say that this is the worst place in the US to live if you suffer from them. I do, and I still live here, though it tests my patience a lot and I've considered moving as my patience wears thin (and it tends to do that when it's 105 outside too).

Austin is a rare little island of liberal in a sea of red conservatism, if politics matter to you. The state capitol is here in Austin, and a lot of Austinites take a very active role in politics and government. There are also very active groups of activists for the environment, so it's not uncommon to hear of battles waged in court by environmentalists over some company trying to get exceptions to a law or ordinance to build in a forbidden place like on the aquifer that supplies the city's water. I personally don't mind that part because we've gotten to keep a lot of our green space that way, but I would imagine that it's annoying to some.

Here in Austin, we also have the dubious distinction of having the most expensive real estate sales prices per square foot in all of Texas, but I honestly believe that it's worth it, having spent some time in other cities. I'm a realtor, so I can help you find something reasonably priced that fits your needs when the time comes, if you like. The citizenry finally voted FOR a rail system, so we'll soon have a commuter rail system that will bring people in from the far NW suburbs into town. It's not a terribly functional rail system in terms of route, but combined with the bus system, which is pretty good, all things considered, you could probably get where you need to go. That said, I would not want to live in this town without a car...

The job market greatly depends on what you do. Generally speaking, it will be easier to land something in Houston because Austin has a huge influx of people from other places lately competing for jobs. Austin tends to pay a little less too, but most argue that they are willing to take less to work here because it's more worth it to live here.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. I'm happy to answer whatever you want to ask!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Sondra said

Seriously - she hit all the main points I would about Austin. The thing I like about living here is its big enough that we have everything and feels like a real city, but small enough that its not 45 minutes to get anywhere. My buddy John and I live on opposite sides of town, and it only takes me 20 min or so to get to his place.

You couldnt get me to move to Houston without a salary well into the 6 digits - that place is a sweatbox(extremely humid in the summer due to the gulf), and just a massive sprawl of people, it takes forever to get anywhere in Houston because of how spread out it is.

Sondra is right about the allergies - I never knew I had substantive allergies of any kind until I moved here, thankfully after 5+ years my body has acclimated some so its not as horrible when it comes around.

As far as areas to live - there are really 2 camps in Austin: The Northerners(Georgetown, Round Rock, Pflugerville, N. Austin), and the South Austinites. Usually both groups are quite particular about their own area. The Northerners like the quieter more reserved/conservative atmosphere and the less congestion, where as the Southerners like the more liberal and trendy parts of town. It kinda depends on your own personality. That said - if you live in town, expect to pay alot per sq ft for property. In the outlying areas of town its not as bad, but anywhere near the middle of the city is usually up there a good bit.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:25 PM

Wow, Thanks Sondra! Excellent write-up.

alvanderp, I appreciate the comment about the areas to live.
Now I knw to look on the North side of Austin

Does anyone know the names of specific communities, or areas where we should look for houses. We'd like the "laid-back, quiet" type of area as mentioned by alvanderp.
Do the gated communities generally charge extra fees, or taxes when you buy a house there(the ones with club houses, pools, etc.) ?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:32 PM

Most of the gated stuff is west/south of town and quite expensive. They do have communities on the north side of town, but I wouldnt call them "gated." Most of the communites do have monthly dues you have to pay along with a list of regulations to follow yes.

There are all kinds of these communities around the North end of town. There is a pretty large one in Pflugerville, I used to live in a community called Block House Creek a good ways northeast of town in Cedar Park/Leander. But there are examples of these types of communites all over town honestly. Sondra probably has a better feel on those than I do as a realtor.

Also - I dont want you to get the wrong idea, there are plenty of quiet laid-back areas South of town as well. The above notes are generalizations for sure.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:40 PM

I agree - Sondra great write up.

One thing she failed to mention are the lakes - three of them!

Town Lake runs through Downtown and recreationally is only good for canoeing and sculling.

Lake Austin, just west of Downtown, is a nice [cold water] lake that is great for boating, water skiing/wakeboarding and jet skiing. Also has parks and restaurants/bars on the waterfront.

Then there is fabulous Lake Travis, the reason I moved to Austin from Houston!
It starts just west of Austin and meanders 65 miles through the beautiful Hill Country [where I live]. I have been a boater most of my life and for me it is the best way to enjoy the hot summers. There are bars with live music floating on the lake and then there is Devil's Cove, the biggest party on water - with or without clothes!! [yes, it gets that wild on the Holiday weekends!] Literally hundreds of boats will raft together for a huge party!!

I suggest a trip to Austin to check the area out before a move is planned, and don't forget to visit the lake areas

-Steve
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 PM

just wanted to add... if you don't already have tint, get some asap b/c the sun is gonna kill you down here lol... high was 80 today!
Old 02-23-2007, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by meriggi,Feb 22 2007, 10:40 PM
I agree - Sondra great write up.

One thing she failed to mention are the lakes - three of them!

Town Lake runs through Downtown and recreationally is only good for canoeing and sculling.

Lake Austin, just west of Downtown, is a nice [cold water] lake that is great for boating, water skiing/wakeboarding and jet skiing. Also has parks and restaurants/bars on the waterfront.

Then there is fabulous Lake Travis, the reason I moved to Austin from Houston!
It starts just west of Austin and meanders 65 miles through the beautiful Hill Country [where I live]. I have been a boater most of my life and for me it is the best way to enjoy the hot summers. There are bars with live music floating on the lake and then there is Devil's Cove, the biggest party on water - with or without clothes!! [yes, it gets that wild on the Holiday weekends!] Literally hundreds of boats will raft together for a huge party!!

I suggest a trip to Austin to check the area out before a move is planned, and don't forget to visit the lake areas

-Steve
This is becoming the most informative thread! Thank you everyone.
How dark can I tint the windows legally in TX?
Are there any good installers, mechanics, and tracks for our S2k's in the Austin area?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:24 AM

As far as shops, most of us go to either Soulspeed or JCAutospec. I know the owners of both, and have been happy at both locations. Soulspeed is more of a performance suspension/brake shop that a couple S2k owners have had bad experiences at lately. Bill(the owner) can be a bit abrupt and from what I have heard sometimes rude if you dont know him well(I have never experienced this, but I have heard it from more than one reliable source). He likes working on track cars, doing performance alignments, etc. JCAutospec is an all around shop, they'll do pretty much anything. John Long(one of the owners) has been doing all my maintenance work and more involved upgrade installs since I had my Prelude(over 4 years now), and they do great work, and are great people. They just got their own alignment machine as well, so they can do pretty much anything you need.

Sites here:
www.soulspeed.com
www.jcautospec.com

As far as tracks - there really isnt anything in the immediate Austin area, although there is a group planning a facility in New Braunfels(about 40 miles south of town), but I have no idea if/when that might come to fruition. Most of us go to Texas World Speedway(TWS) in College Station, or MotorSport Ranch(MSR) south of Ft Worth. TWS is a 2.9mi road course that goes in and out of a massive oval that was built in the 60's. MSR is now a 3.1mi course that used to be smaller, but recently added a new section with lots of elevation change and technical elements - I had a blast the last time I was there.

There is also a new MSR(not the same owners, but apparently a membership to one does give you benefits at the other) course outside Houston, but from what I hear its pretty flat and boring - my racer buddies say its almost not worth the tow to race there. There are also a couple new courses sprouting up in the Dallas area - one is called Eagles Canyon and is north of Denton(a pretty good hike from Austin), and another is called Racer's Ranch and is near Greenville if I'm not mistaken(also a pretty good hike from here). Neither is officially open as of yet, but both are under construction, so there will be a course there at some point.

I think the new state law on tint is 25% on side windows. Usually the rear and any rear quarter windows are unlimited, mainly because they cant get the reader on the glass(it pinches around the window). I have yet to have a cop mess with me about tint, and I have had and been in some pretty dark vehicles in my day. This is TX, and they realize how bad the sun is here.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:48 AM

oh, and PLEASE tell me that Texas doesn't require a front license plate....?!?!

Quick Reply: Relocating to Houston/Austin area