Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Strong gas smell.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong gas smell.

so to be more precise!
i had a STRONG fuel smell from the rear driverside area or in lame-men-terms... where you refuel your vehicle....

well after mass amounts of searching the s2ki forums and reading topic after topic with no explanations i (stupidly) figured out the problem! hahaha wow it was simply a bad// cracked seal on my fuel cap! many people had mentioned "well i replaced my gas cap and it fixed the issue" but no one was for sure on the solution or why it had begun.... just that it was " a common issue in S2000's"... well it was the gas cap but!!... i needed more of a closure on the issue and wanted to know why!

well found my issue and went around posting on each thread my solution and how i came to finally solve my annoying problem! here it is enjoy and spread the word to anyone else with the problem PLEASE!

much love to my San Antonio S2000 community!

okay so thanks to your thread and many other i have deduced the problem on my end.

step one to figuring out if the problem is the same as mine!
-smell your engine bay and all around the compartment, if the fuel smell is not coming from this area it is not a fuel pump related issue!
TWO
-immediately after turning off your car(or when you notice the smell), smell all around your fuel cap(but don't get high)and see if the stench is strongest here... if the smell seems to be emitting from this area YOUR FUEL CAP MAY BE BAD! next, after deducing that the smell is strongest where you refuel open the door and put your ear close to the fuel cap(without un screwing the cap), if you notice a faint seeping sound (as in pressure leaking from fuel tank) YOUR FUEL CAP IS DEFIANTLY BAD!

i noticed that this only happens after pressure has built up (which is much valued) in the gas container leading to a leak, which makes sense for those individuals (such as me) who live in hot climate areas.

i was very annoyed at this issue and noticed my fuel economy had substantially dropped! my mile per gallon were going down hill and when gas is much valued you don't want this! i noticed the smell was not emitting from my engine bay, and more so from where the fuel cap is located(behind the driver-side rear wheel)! i also noticed a small *fissing* noise from my fuel cap which sounded like a small leak (say from an air compressor with a leaky valve) i then pulled off my fuel cap and noticed that the main seal had two minor fracture cracks in them, which would easily mean that gas could escape due to increased pressure build up. (not liquid gas but gas gas... you know what i mean, like a co2 gas.. yea!) anyways i found that the solution to this issue was as easy as .... you guessed it ... a new fuel cap! their about $23.50(+tax) at your local Honda dealer[part number '17670-SM4-A04']... may be less if you live near an on-line OEM parts dealer due to low shipping rates, but in my case more expensive on-line! so please spread the word since many seemed to be confused and without an answer to this issue!

but this was in my case and seems to be that of many others as the smell is emitting from the rear driver side region!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the trouble shooting
Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by GateCrasher
Thanks for the trouble shooting
I do smell gas fumes only around the gas cap area. Not the engine bay or passenger rear. I'm going to try the gas cap, just want to say thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM

this is directly relevant to the problem i was experiencing today
Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Did your check engine light come on?
2. Where did you buy the other gas cap and how much? Austin honda wants $46!!!!!!

Shuluke
Old 05-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Phew! Noticed the exact same thing today driving home from work. Thought for sure I was gonna have to replace my gas tank or something crazy. Noticed little drops coming from under rear drivers side of car and strong gas smell. But no smell from engine bay whatsoever. I'm sure it must be the gas cap. Thank you s2ki!!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by furryapples
Phew! Noticed the exact same thing today driving home from work. Thought for sure I was gonna have to replace my gas tank or something crazy. Noticed little drops coming from under rear drivers side of car and strong gas smell. But no smell from engine bay whatsoever. I'm sure it must be the gas cap. Thank you s2ki!!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM

I've noticed the smell too. Of course this after installing a fuel rail, changing injectors and smell gas but can't find it. I looked everywhere and can't find any leaks.

So today I stop at the gas station and fill up, check the cap and there is a crack in the seal. Thanks buddy, I glad I finally got it figurs out.

Omar, never got a check engine light, but you know I wont get one of those.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

did you notice this as being an intermittent problem with this cracked cap? I'd assume it would happen all the time, but I'm not getting it all the time. Its happening now like once a week... I drive it and park it and it seems to go away just to come back again.

My cap seems to be fine, I dont notice any cracks and I dont notice any noises of seeping pressure there. The smell seems to come strongest from the wheel well under the filler but not the cap. I'm not apposed to trying a $46 cap but wondered if your symptoms were smillar to mine. No leaks anywhere that I can tell (dont see gas leak on my garage floor or on the fuel neck or tank.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Strong gas smell.