Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Valve retainer replacement/ valve adjustment

Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Valve retainer replacement/ valve adjustment

Anyone know of anyone or any shops in the San Antonio or Austin area that have experience with upgrading valve retainers on an AP1 and doing a valve adjustment on these cars? I thought about diving in and giving it a try but I figured I'd probably be better off finding someone with some experience with it. Thanks for any input
Old 09-04-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i imagine Vtechnicians in south central Austin could knock this out no problem, i have no idea how much it would cost. i do not know of a guy on the forums that does this specifically, unlike tops and fender rolling. GL
Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked with Vtechnicians today. They don't seem very familiar with S2000's and couldn't understand why I would want to replace valve spring retainers until after I went through a long explanation. Then, they insisted on pulling the head off of the car and milling it. Honestly, just based on today's conversation I would do the job myself before taking it to them.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, from what you're saying, I'd avoid that shop entirely. The valve adjustment is fairly easy, but you need to do it with the engine cold. The valve spring retainers isn't to bad as long ad you have the valve spring compressor tool. I got mine from kings performance IIRC. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but it's an easy job. Just takes time.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 PM

You guys should meet up and do it together. Ill help!

Shuluke
Old 09-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got a valve job at Flamingo Automotive at 3512 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX 78705. around $150. no problems afterwards.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpw04
just got a valve job at Flamingo Automotive at 3512 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX 78705. around $150. no problems afterwards.
A valve job? You mean a valve adjustment?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow @ that shop. 0_o
Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do it yourself, buy or borrow a valve tool made by Lisle. One push on top of the valve will dislodge the keeper/retainer and will keep it inside the magnetized part of the tool. Likewise putting the new one back on is one push to set the two keepers and sets the cap. You can use a hammer to do both but I just used solid pressure with hands/arm. The old fashion valve spring crank tools won't fit even after you grind the arms down to nothing. The tool cost me around $50 ar O'Reilly's

Setting the engine to TDC and pressurizing each cylinder at about 100 PSI will do the trick. Don't lose any small bits. Plug every hole in the head with cork or something. Don't want anything dropping into engine. Only the intake is recommended. Part 14781-PCX-004 and 14765-PRB-A01. I got mine from Hardtopguy.

Read all other DIY's as I just hit the highlights.

Good luck

Headed to Austin for the F1 race again next week anyone going? I hit Lockhart last year and want some good q in Austin, any recommendatons
Old 11-19-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by SmagsS2k
If you do it yourself, buy or borrow a valve tool made by Lisle. One push on top of the valve will dislodge the keeper/retainer and will keep it inside the magnetized part of the tool. Likewise putting the new one back on is one push to set the two keepers and sets the cap. You can use a hammer to do both but I just used solid pressure with hands/arm. The old fashion valve spring crank tools won't fit even after you grind the arms down to nothing. The tool cost me around $50 ar O'Reilly's

Setting the engine to TDC and pressurizing each cylinder at about 100 PSI will do the trick. Don't lose any small bits. Plug every hole in the head with cork or something. Don't want anything dropping into engine. Only the intake is recommended. Part 14781-PCX-004 and 14765-PRB-A01. I got mine from Hardtopguy.

Read all other DIY's as I just hit the highlights.

Good luck

Headed to Austin for the F1 race again next week anyone going? I hit Lockhart last year and want some good q in Austin, any recommendatons
Sorry just read the post. How was the race? I had a buddy that went up there but had I had to work. I have checked a couple other shops including H&A automotive (specialize in honda/acura repair- do a lot of work on NSX's) and the guy was cool seemed to know his stuff fairly well but maaaan. expensive. Was exchanging emails with Todd Marcucci in dallas but got blown off after coming up with a list of work I wanted to have done with the vehicle If I was going to drive it all the way up there. So I guess Im going to see about giving it a shot myself. Anyone that has done this a couple times before interested in helping out? Willing to offer pizza, wings, beer( post job lol), as well as time to help out with anything you want to work on your vehicle. Could just get an early start and knock out both cars throughout the day. Just figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Valve retainer replacement/ valve adjustment