Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

may i have ur opinions..?

Old 12-15-2003, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default may i have ur opinions..?

ok so this is the scoop with me and school. i'm 20 years old and gettting older (hahah) i have an associates degree just a basic one. i have 65 credit hours not counting the classes i'm taking now. i was going in for nursing. i was trying for my bachelors degree in nursing. starting out i believe they make anywhere from 50-75 a year. i'm not sure those are just estimates. but nursing after taking all these classes and then seeing all the other students stressed out and all that...i don't wanna be all stressed out about going to school and werking in a few hours for long nights and then going back to school. i met this one lady that didn't sleep for 48 hours bc she was doing nursing and school! ouch! my original plan was to get that BSN and go for criminal justice forensic science. yeah! but now that i know i don't like nursing and all that other stuff that i'll have to do before actually getting my degree and everything else...i dropped nursing and starting spring 2004 i start my criminal justice classes. as u remember i noted before about having an associates degree...with no emphasis on anything. once i start taking all these classes i'll be done with an associates degree with an emphasis on criminal justice..sound good? or what? i know it's my decision and all but i'd like to know what other ppl think. and forensic science ppl don't make that much they make up to at least 40-45 i believe i'm not sure again just estimates. but then i get to solve crimes at the srime scene and sometimes will be asked to fly out there and to observe the crime scene. don't that seem kewl as hell. and for a person for me to like CSI and law and order SVU and all that other stuff it's so mee. but then again for me to be in forensic science i heard that u had to be a police officer first before that...anyone know about that???

so what do u guys think about that???
Old 12-15-2003, 12:06 PM

bottom line...

money is great, don't get me wrong, but I truly feel if you enjoy your job, it won't matter how much you make as long as it's enough for you to live the kind of lifestyle you are content with.

You can get mad paid, but if you don't like your job things will get real tough in other parts of your life, cuz you'll be in a bad mood a lot. days go slower and you will dread going in to work.

If CJ is your sauce, go for it. In a professional career you will make enough to be ok. Don't pursue a career based soley on money. Find the balance that will allow you to havemoney and have the time and energy for your personal life.

Tom
Old 12-15-2003, 12:21 PM

Hmm, I am finishing up my Associates in CJ this May. Its a 76 hour Associates degree which basically qualifies me to go into DPS(State Trooper), etc.I was accepted to the police Academy last year but decided to hold off untill I finished school. Plus I am treated very well here at HP.

In the field of criminal law, its never for the money. I have learned that talking to many police officers,criminal law teachers with PHD's , etc. Its all about being happy like Tom said. Money can but you everything BUT happiness.

I say go for it cause it is very beneficial in the long run.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:19 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

As for being "stressed out and all that", that can happen in any job. It is said that I have one of the highest stressed jobs in the world, but it's not to me.

1st what was it that made you choose to get out of Nursing? Was it the blood and stuff or the hours or just what? How, will the CJ job have those things too, if yes then is this a good move?

Enjoying your job, is a big +. There are people I work with you can tell you how many days, hour, etc that they have left before they retire, and they still have over 6 years to go. They can wait to leave and you can see it in there job.
Talk about STRESS.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:04 PM

i agree, as long as you enjoy your job nothing else matters...
BTW I have a friend taking forsenic science, shes a lil freaky haha but i'll ask her about being a cop first to get that job..
Old 12-22-2003, 06:45 AM

thanks for the opinions. i'm not basing my careers soley on money. im just trying to find a career that will make me happy and i've changed my major about 5-6 times already. i'm just a little to anxious to know what i want to be when i get older i guess.

what made me get out of nursing? i just don't think thats mee. i dont see myself doing that stuff at all. it's not the blood bc i can stand it c'mon now, CJ has that too. I've always been interested in CJ but i didn't really look into it at my school until just recently.

but everyone's right, if it makes me happy there to continue with CJ then heck i should right? yeah! =) well i already registered for the classes and i'll have the associates in CJ if the classes are offered in the summer, then i should get that degree in June. if not offered in the summer i'll get it in fall semester. hehe..now i sit at home and watch a whole bunch more shows about forensic science. very interesting!
Old 12-22-2003, 11:11 AM

you're a dork.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This isn't meant to sound negative; but, make sure you stay in school and pursue your Bachelor's degree because an Associate's doesn't mean crap these days. Sheesh...a Bachelor's degree hardly means anything anymore. The real money is definitely to be had with a Master's or PhD.

With that said I have to agree with some of the other people that posted here. Getting paid big and hating work is nowhere near as nice as getting paid less and truly loving what you do. The last time I checked CSI was a division of the police force so yeah, I'm pretty sure you will have to go through basic police training and then patrol for a year or two, or maybe more, before being eligible for your job of choice. You really should research this option some more and make sure you can handle what they are going to throw at you.

One last thing. If you are going to pursue ANYTHING closely associated with Criminal Justice then you owe it to yourself to consider attending Sam Houston State University in Huntsville. They have had the best Criminal Justice school in the entire state for as long as I can remember and a CJ degree from there will have more credence than one from U of H.

Just my .02 and something for you to think about.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by short_azn_girl
im just trying to find a career that will make me happy and i've changed my major about 5-6 times already. i'm just a little to anxious to know what i want to be when i get older i guess.
Ah hell, I've been in this game a while longer than you and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. No need to put that much pressure on yourself -- that's all part of life's fun, not knowing where the next few steps take you...
Old 12-22-2003, 04:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda606
This isn't meant to sound negative; but, make sure you stay in school and pursue your Bachelor's degree because an Associate's doesn't mean crap these days.

Quick Reply: may i have ur opinions..?