Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Alcatel USA Layoffs

Old 10-28-2002, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Alcatel USA Layoffs

I'm curious how many of you guys work (or worked) for Alcatel USA. I know there are a couple other S2000s that I see parked around here, but I don't know who you are.

We have had numerous layoffs over the past couple years (today was a big one for my group - 20%), and I'm curious how some of my fellow S2000 owners have been effected.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I assume you weren't affected?

Didn't work for Alcatel (were you DSC before?), but I worked for Marconi (formerly RELTEC). I volunteered for the last one. I think we lost close to 60% in on year, the company is probably 30% or so of what it was 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

I am still employed, but I don't consider myself "unaffected". I am so tired of the layoffs, that I almost wish I was let go. There are rumors that the severence package is being "revised" (slashed) for next year, so I don't want to be one of the "lucky ones" who gets to hang around for that. The people that were let go today will receive full salary for 9 weeks (without reporting to work), then get a lump sum distribution for tenure and vacation. The rumor is that the severence package will be a flat 2 week check next year.

I was a Detail Engineer for a company that did installation engineering for DSC. When Alcatel and DSC merged, I started doing engineering for Both. I hired on with Alcatel 3 years ago, as a Detail Engineer, then after about 1 year, moved over to IS. It turned out to be a good move for me, since all 200 of the Detail Engineers that Alcatel had are now gone. I don't know if ANY of my coworkers from 2 years ago are still here. Alcatel USA has reduced its headcount by about 50%, but that doesn't include today's action.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My roommate and a friend both started at DSC a few years ago and got laid off from Alcatel the first week of August. Another friend is still there, but so far as I know she still has her job. She's expecting it to happen any day now, though - a few weeks ago they assigned an H1-B to follow her around and learn what she does.

Not exactly a high morale situation, methinks.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor

What's an H1-B?

Sounds like your friend's management has it together a bit, at least. My management would not tell ANYONE who or when it was going to happen. One of the guys that was laid off today and I have been working on a new release of an application for months, and it was supposed to be released TODAY. We finished weeks of testing, but now I don't even know how to release it. I was helping him complete it, so I never saw that part of the process. I am either going to have to beg him to walk me through it, or just dump the new release.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked for Alcatel straight out of college, from July 2000 until I was laid off in April of 2001. I was a software development engineer, and my group worked on developing features for the STP portion of the signalling server. Quite boring work, and it made me realize that I didn't want to write software. I much prefer the IT side of things, and am doing that now.

I got the same package from Alcatel that you described: 9 weeks paid, plus a lump sum for unused vacation. I was happy to be laid off since I didn't like my job, so the severance worked out in my favor. Between that and collecting unemployment, when I found a job 2 months later, I had actually made money! For reference, when I was hired, they gave me stock options valued at $72 each. Alcatel stock (symbol ALA) is now at $4.05.

Ryan
P.S. - I drove a dark grey '94 Integra when I was there, usually parked far away from the building (PB3? Can't remember).
Old 10-28-2002, 12:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Ryan,

My wife was laid off from Alcatel in April '01. It's a small world! It took her a little over a year to find a stable job again. It's pretty weird, but Alcatel USA's LARGEST ever new hire orientation was just 3 months ealier (when my wife was hired)!
Old 10-28-2002, 12:46 PM
tpn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]So I assume you weren't affected?
Old 10-28-2002, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tpn, what's your association with Marconi/Reltec?

Yes, Jabil bought the Bedford facility from Reltec, laid everyone off and hocked the equipment. Marconi (access) is leaving Freeport and going back to the old facility. It will save $6M in yearly expense for the lease and utilities at the Taj Majal. Bedford is empty, though, they are having to buy new furniture since Jabil cleaned it out and Marconi was leasing everything at Freeport.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:12 PM
tpn

I did LAN/WAN consulting in the IT department there for a while, and I still stay in contact with a few of the folks there.

Quick Reply: Alcatel USA Layoffs