Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Anyone in real estate? Looking for a nice area to purchase a home in DFW.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, just a satisfied customer of FW. Having lived in Dallas for over 30 years I just can't figure out why I didn't get smart sooner.

According to one of the Texas magazines there's more free music in FW on any given weekend than there is in Austin. They all compare FW to Austin of the 80's and early 90's. I'm headed out now, during rush hour, to almost downtown to see some live music and eat some good food out on the patio with no one hassling me to order more or drink more. It will take me 20 minutes to get there but in Dallas to go the same distance would have taken me an hour or more at this time of day and at least 40 minutes any other time of day.

On a whim we go to downtown FW and just walk around to watch all the people and see the sights. Sit down and have a drink or eat a meal. When was the last time you felt safe in downtown Dallas?
Old 05-29-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy
When was the last time you felt safe in downtown Dallas?

I feel safe everywhere JK Wildncrazy, decent point, Deep Ellum has cleaned up quite a bit but I still refrain if I dont have to. I went out for a concert, had panhandlers camping in between the parking lots and the venue. Way too close to Fair Park... I have lived in North Texas my whole life (Mesquite, Lancaster, Garland, Mckinney, Allen, Frisco, Little Elm, Farmersville) I know to stay north of I30 and/or 635 if I can help it, even though Dallas has its little oasis neighborhoods. University Park for example. Allen/Frisco/Plano are the three safest cities in the country fyi, I usually associate Dallas to include its suburbs too.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wildncrazy, Today at work. Also, the same could be said of Denton as far as comparing to Austin.

Fort Worth is great and all but every city has its good and bad. Ft Worth is country, Dallas is city living.

Buldozr is pretty accurate! In Dallas, you just have to know where to go and it depends on what you like; there is a reason all those big companies are moving to Dallas!

This was kind of entertaining but was from a long time ago, things have changed since then (although Chaucer's and BD are still around):
old "I'm visiting Dallas thread"

another more recent thread to look at:

anything to do in dallas?
Old 05-31-2015, 04:17 PM

FW is country and Dallas is city living? FW is the one with a viable downtown area.

But you are right in one respect, the people in FW are nicer than the ones in Dallas. You will get a wave from people in the car approaching.

Denton may have music, and I'd expect it would being a college town, but no where nearly as much as FW. Not so much that the magazines and whomever it is that does the numbers has noticed either.

I saw 4 live bands over the weekend within a 30 minute radius of my house and I live in the country. Good, solid, 4-8 person bands (1 indie, 1 country and 2 rock) and not a one of them sucked. All 4 were free and in very nice surroundings.

buldozr I've lived in almost all those same places till I finally moved to FW and while gun carrying is a good thing and I highly recommend it if only to piss out our liberal friends, it's not a necessity over here.

Oh, and just in case you didn't notice - NOT ONE OF THOSE BIG COMPANIES ARE MOVING TO DALLAS! They are moving to the burbs.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:13 AM

Define "viable downtown area!" I have lived in dallas my whole life and am pretty familiar with it! I saw a lot of s2k's that waved in Dallas tonight! Here are a few (but none from ft. worth):

The burbs of...........Dallas! You are pushing too much for Ft. Worth it sounds like you work for them...All you need to do is google the difference to see all the (cowboy) stereotypes belong in Ft. Worth and Dallas is more modern/contemporary and pretentious.

dallas #1 business friendly city
Old 06-05-2015, 07:54 PM

I'll agree Dallas is pretentious, but the FW stereotype is promoted by Dallas people.

There be some cowboys in FW, but there be some in Dallas as well. FW promotes a bit of the cowboy image due to the Stockyards.

I've lived in both areas and have a very good concept of the differences. But until I moved to the FW area I had no idea FW was so cool and so much better than Big D.

It's the little things that make the difference moreso than the big ones. I volunteer at Bass Hall and get to see the wide variety of shows presented in a much better venue than what Dallas has.

I've been involved in the movie, TV and live shows and music in Dallas and hands down FW has more and better.

And NO you wouldn't find any or many FW S2000s in a pic made in Dallas. Once you've settled in over here you just absolutely hate to go to Dallas for any reason. I have to go about once a month and it's like a beating. I forget how dirty, crowded and trafficky Dallas is.

We go more places, do more things and do them on a whim over here than we could do in Dallas. No planning involved and very little worrying what time of day it is and can we get someplace?

If you're entrenched in Dallas, as I was, then it's tough to get you to do more than make an occassional quickie trip to FW where you don't have time to get a good feel, but if you're like the OP and trying to decide where to live, then you need to know these things.

Dallas has a viable downtown? Since when? Druggies, bums, dirt, the smell of pee everywhere! Even the uptown area, which is definitely not downtown, is struggling and has since it's inception when compared to downtown, true downtown, FW. We are down there a couple of times a week. Nothing on TV? Go downtown and just wander around. It's quick, easy, fun and there's always something new to see and do.

Check out Panther Fest tomorrow in Fw. The worlds longest slip & slide. My link

How about the Main Street Arts Fest, voted one of the top 5 festivals in the U.S. They close off a lot of downtown for days and have live music, food & fun. No worries about your safety.
https://www.facebook.com/mainstreetartsfest

West Fort Worth is more Dallaslike.
https://www.facebook.com/West7th

And the Magnolia area is more like the older areas near downtown with a younger, hipper crowd and all the stores, restaurants and things to do to go along with it. They also have a couple of huge festivals each year.

The FW 4th of July celebration at Panther Island on & IN the Trinity (see we've got the clean branch of the Trinity, is great every year.
https://www.facebook.com/PantherIslandPavilion

So like I said, there's always something fun to do and the music is awesome! It's everywhere. I saw 2 great bands tonight for free. Not 2nd rate bands, good bands. Dallas would be charging a cover charge and have over priced drinks plus be super crowded. I won't say that I never run into a crowd in FW, but even the crowds are less dense and better behaved.

For some reason it's not showing all the links I added.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:27 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I've enjoyed the banter between whether FW or D. is better, nothing new. This whole argument has been going on for years. I don't live in either so i don't have a "dog in this hunt", but I do know there is more to both communities than it's high rise sections.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:53 AM

Come on over today and experience just one of FW's way of building community.

https://www.facebook.com/Ft.Worth/ph...type=1&theater

Oh, and once again it's free. That's something you rarely see in the Dallas area. I worked on the Richardson Wildflower Festival when it was new and free was never in the cards at all. It's a difference in mindset of the east vs. the west.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:27 PM

We have a had a few meets in Ft Worth where the Dallas peeps drove out there but not recently. Whether driving to Dallas or Ft. Worth I think the drive has sucked due to construction between both cities! Most of your points can be said about any city with a smaller population. Oh, and I forgot, Texas chose to hold the Texas State Fair in Dallas, too! If you have never been, it is fried food nirvana and one of the best fairs in the world!

Vanishing Point, you are so right! It has even been a nice debate right here on s2ki trying to decide meet locations!

coldwell banker dallas vs ft worth comparison

good traffic advise
Old 06-23-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw two potential houses in Grand Prairie that I really liked but they were snatched up fairly quick...Market is way too competitive atm.