Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Anyone on Tein Street Flex coilovers in the area?

Old 11-27-2014, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone on Tein Street Flex coilovers in the area?

I got a dead strut on my ap2 and in the market for an upgrade, wanted to see if anyone is in the Little Elm/Frisco area running Tein Street Flex coilovers or something equivalent 10k/10k or 10k/8k springrates that would be able to demo? This car is not my daily anymore and sees equal parts track and street but I would like to get a feel of ride quality before I pull the trigger. Thanks guys.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:08 PM

I have some of the Circuit Master type RS. I bought them from Japan a couple months ago. They were just rebuilt at the factory. I'm not sure if you would be interested
Old 11-28-2014, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the offer Cbray2k but those are surely out of my price range. Anyone want to demo their car?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my car with tien flex hated them. I have tien rs ultimate street coilovers think steel bodied src's they work well 10k spring 2 way adjustment remote reservoirs. come out to the group drive next weekend you can see them in action
Old 11-29-2014, 11:47 PM

Group meet, I would def be interested. Pm me a time and location.

Also, can you confirm, was that the "Flex" or "Street Flex" that you had? I can guarantee, they are in fact two different animals. Street Flex replaced the Flex, Tein added a much more robust and street friendly valving system into the damper. I think they released them ~2years ago with the updated dampers (don't quote me on time frame, just know it was recent). Instead of the old Flex system where 16 damper settings meant only 3 were usable(so basically ~13 settings that did... nothing lol), the new Street Flex extends that to 10+ actual usable settings. Not apples to apples but I recall riding in a 3000gt with the old Flex kit, it was rather... painful. Also a E36 Beemer with Tein Basics, god was that terrible, it turned a Neutral car to a understeering pig. I recently installed a Street Flex kit in a 3rd Gen Rx7, against my better judgement - I actually pleaded with the guy not to due to this was a HIGH END customer, and was pleasantly surprised. His kit came with 10k/8k but we installed 8k/6k in hopes to gain rear traction, it is a big turbo car so it needed all the help. Worked beautifully, he can now put the power down on exit corners whereas his tokico illumina/eibach setup couldn't and he seems to like the difference in ride quality and response. Sorry, long tangent.

This might need to be put in the main suspension thread though but this has got me real bothered, I searched for at least 30min on these boards looking for someone with some feedback on the street flex's on the s2000 and came up empty but when searching the Rx7 FD3S boards, they are bonkers for the Street Flex coilovers in regards to $$$ vs quality. I can honestly say Tein has pumped out some really lackluster products that I have experienced through the years even though my last experience was a complete turn around, I am still a little hesitant on pulling the trigger and hanging them on my personal car.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Community Organizer

they were the old street flex not mono. ben wheeler drive next weekend come out I can take you for a ride after lunch the rs ult street setup like between 8-12 on compression and 8-10 on rebound with 10 k springs no more bucking bronco that's how the old setup felt my new ones also have the latest high speed needle valves. I agree some of the cheaper products tien has sold really aren't that great that said I am happy with what I have now plus with the remote reservoirs I no longer run into heat soak on my coilovers like I would with the old flex setup. I would start out at 6 clicks and by the end I of 150 mile group drive I would be at 3 clicks these new ones are the best 2500$ I has spent on my car
Old 03-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by s2k manic
I bought my car with tien flex hated them. I have tien rs ultimate street coilovers think steel bodied src's they work well 10k spring 2 way adjustment remote reservoirs. come out to the group drive next weekend you can see them in action
What did you hate about them I'm considering buying buddy club n + or the tein street flex.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:49 PM

s2k manic sounded unsure if he had the "Tein Flex" or "Tein Street Flex", that is the way I deciphered his post anyways. The Tein Street Flex I had experiences with were very good. I have recently purchased and installed the BC Racing BR kit, I used 10F/8R spring rates to make the car less oversteer and more neutral, worked well. Rides much better than factory which I was very surprised and I think the lower rear spring rate had honestly something to do with it. I have the NTAXS autocross event this Sunday, I can update this post and also my review of these coilovers in the suspension subforum as soon as I get seat time

***I should have mentioned, only reason I went with the BC's instead of the Teins was I found them used locally for a reasonable price. Also I hear great things about Fortune 500's w/ swift springs, might be the best bang for the buck. GL man!!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Community Organizer

they where tien control master type flex. they just don't control the car well with the new setup I can take the same corners 25-40 miles an hour faster and the valving is inferior stock handles better than these ^^
Old 03-08-2015, 08:23 PM

Agreed and they have been discontinued some 2+ years ago. Terrible damper. On the other hand, the current STREET FLEX is hands over fist better.