Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Audio Install Recommendations

Old 04-29-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Install Recommendations

Hey Guys,

First time posting in the North Texas section of the site. I'm two weeks away from receiving my 2008 CR and I'm looking for suggestions on shops to install audio equipment (preferably in the Plano/Frisco area). Earmark has been around for years, but I've heard they can be a little pricey.

I'm not particularly an audiophile or sound system snob, just looking for something that is clean and crisp sounding for my long commute to work. I really don't want to pay more than $600-750 total for the equipment and labor. Would love to hear which aftermarket head-unit, amp, and component speakers you all would recommend knowing all these things. As a side note, I have already purchased a JL Audio stealth box sub. Appreciate the recommendations

Lawrence
Old 04-29-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

I don't know about the rest of the guys but the OEM radio is fine for me. Can't hear it at speed and an aftermarket radio will be just as inaudible. These are not cars for audiophiles of any level.

-- Chuck
Old 04-29-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to NTX! I assume your CR is not one of the delete options with no stereo? Oem head unit is usually the 1st thing to go from what i have seen/read on here! It really is a pos! Alpine is probably the most popular aftermarket radio that can retain your dash audio controls (with use of a modifry control unit), fits behind radio door, and had good quality with lots of hookups/terminals/pre-amp outlets. I have an alpine head unit with alpine components and a small 4 channel alpine amp to power it all. I will soon be adding a shallow mount alpine sub to my footwell box and dynamatting the entire floorboard/doors. I purchased an amp rack from another member that allows you to replace the spare tire with a removable amp rack so i would not lose any trunk space. With a square wheel/tire setup, the spare is useless to me, anyways (Hooray for AAA)!

footwell sub box

stereo showoff sticky
Old 04-30-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't have a shop to recommend, I did the install myself. As far as products, I have an Alpine HU (CDA-117, few years old now), Infinity Perfect components for the doors, 640w amp in the spare tire location, and 10" Infinity sub in trunkwell enclosure. I also have the Modifry DCI that allows me to control the stereo, and USB connection for my iPhone (stream Pandora, GPS, get Waze alerts, etc.). That entire setup was under $600 used (bought off a member parting out their car), but was over $1000 new. The sound is excellent, and I can hear stereo top up or down, but sounds especially great with the hardtop on.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
I don't have a shop to recommend, I did the install myself. As far as products, I have an Alpine HU (CDA-117, few years old now), Infinity Perfect components for the doors, 640w amp in the spare tire location, and 10" Infinity sub in trunkwell enclosure. I also have the Modifry DCI that allows me to control the stereo, and USB connection for my iPhone (stream Pandora, GPS, get Waze alerts, etc.). That entire setup was under $600 used (bought off a member parting out their car), but was over $1000 new. The sound is excellent, and I can hear stereo top up or down, but sounds especially great with the hardtop on.
Hey "Kenny",

What are some component speakers you would recommend? Also, do you prefer going with Alpine HU's over Kenwoods?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by NYUS2K
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang' timestamp='1430404265' post='23596662
Hey "Kenny",

What are some component speakers you would recommend? Also, do you prefer going with Alpine HU's over Kenwoods?
All I've had in my vehicles for the last 10 years have been Alpine HU's, I prefer them over any others... but some of that may just be due to my familiarity with their product. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I do enjoy a good system, and its the first thing I upgraded in both of my S2000's. I will say the Infinity components are good, in my previous S2k I had Alpine components, and preferred their sound (highs were sharp without being tinny). I am unsure if there are better components for the price available today, but I would read the Electronics forum on here and seek their advice, I'm sure they won't steer you wrong.