Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

BEWARE! Found tear in convertible top

Old 10-12-2003, 09:32 PM
jk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE! Found tear in convertible top

Last week, I found a 1 cm tear in the convertible top on the driver's side. I instantly knew this was from the way the top sits when it is lowered into the compartment. Someone, I didn't get his name, pointed this out to me and a few other guys at the September autocross. He had his top replaced because of the same issue. When the top is lowered, an object rubs on the last section of the convertible top before the rear window. This creates a vertical soft spot on the inside of the top on both the driver's and passenger's side. Over time, this rubbing creates a tear in the soft spot. When you feel this area from the inside of the top, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I took it into Lute Riley and was told they would cover half the cost to replace the top, which turns out to be $1,100. I did not have it replaced because I believe it is unfair to have the car owner pay for a manufacturer's defect and flaw. I have 53,000 miles on my car and only drive with the top down 15% of the time.

I would advise all of you to check your top for this soft spot and take it to a dealership so they can make a note of it. I have already met 3 people with this same soft spot, so this isn't an isolated incident.

I can e-mail pictures if you're not sure what I'm talking about.

Anyone have suggestions on how I should proceed with this matter? Also, if you were the person I talked to at the autocross, please chime in and let us know how this was resolved.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey jk, sorry to hear about the tear. This has been a long standing problem with the soft top. Honda has known about it for a couple of years now and refuses to do much about it. I know of several people who have had their tops replaced free of charge. However, I'm not sure if they were still in the warranty period or not.

$1,100 to repair the top is NOT 1/2 the cost. The top itself costs about $950 (retail). That means they are charging $1,250 for a 6 hour install. Rediculous.

I'd suggest buying your own glass window top from Ganley Honda for $850 shipped. Then use my glass top conversion instructions in the library to install it yourself. The best part, aside from the glass window, is that the new top is reinforced with a plastic shield in the area that the old one tears.

Let me know if you have any questions about the glass top, or anything else. I'm kind of the resident expert on tops.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or, find someone with a used plastic top that replaced theirs.

I would try another dealer. They have a good bit of leeway. You have a strong case considering the TSBs on the ass plastic window and the fact that they redesigned the top entirely... not just to get rid of the plastic window. Honda engineers realized the deficiencies of the design and corrected them.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:27 PM
jk

Thanks David and Todd. I plan on going to another dealer to see what they say about it. Are there any in the metroplex that are more willing to side with the customer?
Old 10-13-2003, 10:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Try Rusty Wallis man.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone confirm that this was only a problem on pre-02 tops?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 02+ tops have plastic protectors on most of the wear points. Like any convertible, I'm sure it won't last forever but the 02 fixed all the flaws of the 00-01 that I can see.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You may also want to check with Jonathan Ingram (Service Advisor) at Eagle Honda or Paulo Tang at Lute Riley. Paulo would probably work it out for you.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a thin spot on the passenger side that I have been monitoring for a while. I recently put tape on the inside to cushion. Of course it might just move the wear point. Drivers side seems OK - it folds a little differently. It seems to depend on how the folds in the top happen to arrange themselves when the top is first opened. Some rub, some don't

I irony is that the wear occurs when the top is down. The less you use the top, the quicker it wears.

Gregg
Old 10-15-2003, 03:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clovis
You may also want to check with Jonathan Ingram (Service Advisor) at Eagle Honda or Paulo Tang at Lute Riley.

Quick Reply: BEWARE! Found tear in convertible top