S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/texas-north-texas-s2000-owners-10/)
-   -   Coilover noise (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/texas-north-texas-s2000-owners-10/coilover-noise-819067/)

NilosJDMAP1 09-25-2010 08:19 PM

Coilover noise

As I'm driving down the road I go over minor bumps and dips and I hear a "clunk" from my rear coilovers. I pull over to see if the top hat is loose and all the bolts are tight. I check the damper body bolt and it's snug. If I could describe the sound it's like "the headboard for your bed is hitting the wall." I thought some of the noise would be from the spare tire so I took it out and the noise still there. When I got home I raised up the rear of the car and took my wheels off and looked at all the bushings and joints and all seemed visually fine. No tears or cracks in the ball joint boot and there's no slack in the upper arm bushings. Is there something that I'm overlooking?

DFWs2k 09-25-2010 09:17 PM

I think its your exhaust hitting something

NilosJDMAP1 09-25-2010 09:33 PM

It's not the exhaust. If I'm at a stop and start to roll forward it will also make that noise and if I bounce on the rear corners of the car. I checked the lower mounting bolt and it's tight. I'm thinking maybe the pillowball is defective or the damper valve is bottoming out. While I'm driving and I do hit a minor bump the noise is loud very noticeable in the area where the filler neck is for the gas tank and in the same area on the other side so it's gotta be something that has to do with the upper mount I'm guessing.

Clubef9 09-26-2010 06:52 AM

What coilovers?

I have the same fuking noises and it is annoying as shyt!!!

NilosJDMAP1 09-26-2010 07:21 AM

I was googling "coilover clunk noise" and I found that there were alot of people having the same issue as I am. No matter how expensive or how cheap the coilover is the top hat has metal bumpers or metal bushings. So in essence it's metal to metal contact that you hear. What most of the people did to resolve this issue was to either warranty replace the rear as a pair and lubricate the heck out of the pillowball and thread on the height adjustments, or dismantle the coilovers and use oem top hats. In almost all car forums I found this issue very common with exactly same issues. Even Tein had stated that it was "normal" coilover noise. I don't know about everyone else but the clunk noise is a PITA especially if you guys are like me and desire perfection. So who else on here has this issue?

alan_s2ki 09-26-2010 07:50 AM

i get the same crap too when hitting a bump but it sounds like it comes from the gas tank side only.

DFWs2k 09-26-2010 03:18 PM

Mine don't make that noise, buddyclub ftw

SpeedxRacer 09-26-2010 06:39 PM

Metal top hats will do that

AP2 NAG 09-26-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k,Sep 26 2010, 03:18 PM
buddyclub ftw

I love my BC coilovers, but i noticed during the cold temps. it makes kind of a creaching noise when going slowly over bumps. Did your coils happen to make this??

NilosJDMAP1 09-26-2010 07:08 PM

During cold temperature it does make a creaking noise which is normal but the clunk I encountered is very audible. Okay so I took it to my technicians shop and had it diagnosed. He said " the heim joint (pillowball) has worn out in it's seat. Looks like I'm going to have to do a warranty.